“Very New; Still Needs a Little Attention to Detail”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Irving North-Las Colinas
Ranked #37 of 78 Hotels in Irving
Reviewed December 25, 2012

I wasn't sure whether to give 4 or 5 stars. This hotel is new and very nice inside. The room is well laid out with a nice living room area and a separate washing area from the shower/toilet. It also had a small kitchenette. Very nice.

Just a couple of minor things:
1. The alarm clock had not been set so it showed 12:00 all the time. I was very tired when I got in so did not fiddle with it.
2. I was visiting with a colleague, and our door keys did not work until they were set a third time. The front desk clerk looked mildly irritated that they would not work (both of us noticed that).

The breakfast is good but it started a little late for us. 6:30 am

Lots of parking.

Nothing else around, so it is a drive to any restaurant. In the one evening we were at the hotel early enough they had a light meal/snack in the form of corn chips, ground beef chili, nacho cheese and some salsa.

The wireless network is good, the code is on the door entry card cover (the clerk never told me that.

I'll stay there again - it is close to a lot of our customers and partners.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good - I stayed near the elevators and heard nothing.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Ben H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Irving North-Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear Longmont_Mitch,

We would like to thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Irving Convention Center and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers through TripAdvisor. Without feedback from our guests we find it very difficult to see the areas in which we can improve to make stays even better. Thank you for sharing the points where we did not exceed your expectations in regards to the alarm clock and the breakfast start time. We are exploring options with regards to the breakfast start time to ensure we can accommodate all our guests’ needs. We are working with the staff to ensure that all of the alarm clocks are set correctly as part of the cleaning process to alleviate this issue. Thank you again for your comments and the time you took fill out the review. We look forward to seeing you upon your next trip to the Dallas area.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is a typical Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites. It is well appointed and has everything except a bar and a restaurant but a full breakfast, which is quite comprehensive, is served daily.
We were very warmly welcomed by Nancy at the front desk, who greeted us with a smile and full recognition of our status in the Priority Club. The down side to this hotel is that it's pretty remote from entertainment, but they do offer a shuttle to nearby restaurants which stops at 9pm. Still it is very good value for a clean and charming hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear CliveTPR,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Irving Convention Center and thank you for taking the time to talk about your stay with TripAdvisor. It is only with feedback from our guests that we are able to see opportunities to improve our services. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences with TripAdvisor. We look forward to seeing you in your upcoming trips to the Dallas/Fort Worth Area.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

This hotel is located next to the Convention Center and convenient to several major highways, main roads and a rapid transit station, but over a mile from any restaurants, shopping, gas stations, etc. A car is an absolute necessity to do anything except go to the Convention Center.

My wife and I spent three nights here and the hotel itself is very nice. The hotel lobby is large with a nice sitting area and TV's. Our room, a standard suite with no sofa bed, had plenty of room. The sitting area had a table, three chairs, one with an ottoman, floor lamp, desk and chair, and another small table with a desk lamp between the chairs. Our room also had a microwave and mini-refrigerator. And our room was very quiet. But on the negative side, the tub/toilet area was very small, and the sink outside this area had a small counter area. And ice machines were only on the 3rd. and 5th. floors. Our room had only wireless Internet access, which disconnected every evening of our stay, but easily reconnected.

And there were other things that did not meet our expectations. The front-desk staff was friendly but most of them were not at all familiar with the area and not knowledgable about restaurants in the area. And most of them could not help us when we asked for directions on how to get to places in the greater Dallas area, or even the fastest way to get to the Interstate heading East to avoid going throught heavy downtown traffic on the morning we left. The best they could do was look this up on their computer and print out the directions. Our TV had lots of channels but some of them, including the ABC network channel had only a very fuzzy picture and no sound, which limited us to what we could watch.

Breakfast was good, the standard Holiday Inn Express buffet plus an automatic pancake maker.

Overall, the hotel was clean, comfortable and quiet, which met our basic needs, but nothing more than this.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Thus was a newer HIE, but it was on an island. There were no restaurants or outside amenities anywhere near close to walking distance. I probably won't stay there unless I need to go to the convention center.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The HIE in North Colinas is fantastic. Everything feels brand new - the staff was superb, they were very interested in making my stay successful. The internet service was great, the lobby was clean and comfortable. The bed was great and I enjoyed my stay. It is easy to see this hotel from the hwy but it can be a little challenging for an out of town person to wind their way over to the hotel. But I will continue to stay here when in this area.

1  Thank Mike T
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Dear Travelers,

I am a very frequent traveler and unfortunately have to be on the road all of the time with pretty much unlimited spending money. I have to tell you this hotel is top notch amoungst the Holiday Inn chain and out does most mid-market hotels. They are incredibly friendly and sweet from the second you come in. I have stayed at other expensive hotels with more amenities but less hospitality. They do a daily managers happy hour with beer, wine and some food for not cost which allows a traveler to relax after a long day.

All of the Holiday Inn's should model themselves after this locations.

Thanks,

Jono Agurto
Johns Creek, Ga

Room Tip: stay longer
2  Thank Jono A
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed here overnight for a conference in Irving. My flight arrived at DFW at 8:30 am for a noon conference; i called and their shuttle driver picked me up. Rosalinda, if I recall correctly, super friendly young lady. The desk gave me access to my room and then a ride to the location of my conference. Now understand that the conference hosts had made these arrangements with the hotel but honestly I can't recall having that kind of service anywhere before.

The room was spacious and very clean, modern. Flat screen TV - note a channel guide would have been helpful. Breakfast was above average, as was coffee, probably standard Holiday Inn Express menu.

Can't comment on value as the conference hosts made the arrangements and picked up the tab. What I can say is that this is a very nice hotel property and that if I were running a business in the Irving Texas area I'd strike up a relationship with these folks because their service is top notch.

1  Thank 501Frank