“I joined Trip Advisor today just to warn people to stay away from here!”
Review of Aloft Las Colinas

Aloft Las Colinas
Ranked #28 of 77 Hotels in Irving
Addison, Illinois
“I joined Trip Advisor today just to warn people to stay away from here!”
Reviewed November 28, 2010

I joined both Trip Advisor and Yelp today for the sole purpose of warning people to stay away from this hotel. The only reason I gave a one star rating is because zero was not an option.

First, the hotel did not have my sister's reservation on file. Even after she pulled up the confirmation number on her Iphone, the girl at the front desk continued to stare vacantly until my sister asked her if she could just rebook. The stare went from vacant to annoyed after this, as we interrupted her online shopping on her work computer.

The carpet in our room was stained with what looked to be pet accidents. Also, of our three night stay our room was only cleaned once.

Thanksgiving morning the power went out 5 times within a half hour period. This was puzzling because there may have been ten rooms booked (tops) and there wasn't any bad weather.

Friday morning, there was no hot water. I wanted to work out and asked the girl at the front desk how much longer until it was fixed because I wouldn't work out if there wasn't going to be hot water, and she said it would definitely be within the hour. Well, two hours later there was still no hot water and all we got in response were more vacant stares and I'm not sures. They took the previous night off of our bill, but that didn't stop me from having to wash my hair in the sink.

Saturday morning there was STILL no hot water after letting the water run for ten minutes. When I went downstairs to let Girl Wonder at the front desk know that for the second day in a row now, we didn't have hot water and I just washed my hair in the sink for the second day now. She asked if I let the water run long enough; our room is on the other side of the hotel as the boiler. I asked if five minutes was enough time or should I plan on spending the morning waiting. Again, more blank stares. I asked how we would be compensated for our consistent inconvenience and she said she would credit our Starwood rewards card with points. We checked out a day early and drove 14 hours overnight to Chicago.

In addition to all of this,
1. We received NOT ONE APOLOGY from any member of the staff.
2. When we asked to speak to a manager, we were told there wasn't one on duty numerous times for two days.
3. We were down at the bar having a couple of over priced drinks one of the nights. We were still drinking and we asked for another drink and she said no because she had already removed the tappers. We said we thought the bar was open until 11 and she said her boss told her she could leave early. It was about 10pm.
4. The next night the bar was open until 12am like it was supposed to be, but that was probably because the bartender was making a killing off the (maybe) 18 year olds sitting at the bar.
5. There is no form of supervision at this hotel for the staff. There was not one responsible party working at any time. I know this because the Girl Wonders working started every sentence with "I'm not authorized to..."

I cannot believe this is a Starwood property. I have always had exceptional experiences at Westin and W hotels. At the price ($90/night), I wasn't expecting anything luxurious, but I was expecting to be able to take a hot shower and a clean room. Please save yourself money and frustration. There are plenty of hotels that might cost $10-$20 more a night nearby, so please spend the money and save yourself a constant headache.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kquinn596
Aloft_Las_Colinas, General Manager at Aloft Las Colinas, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Please accept my sincere apology for the issues/interactions you described in your review, your stay with us was clearly not as it should have been. I am not one to make excuses and will not attempt to do so in this case. What I will do is assure you that I have addressed each concern you shared with us in an effort to prevent your experience from being repeated. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you find yourself in Las Colinas again, I would very much like an opportunity to speak with you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 20, 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at Aloft. This was one of the first times staying in this brand of hotel, and I found the loft style suitable to my needs. For one thing... the power outlets! They were everywhere, and easily accessible! The space was well set up, although the toilet/shower area was smaller than I would have liked. It was nice to have a mini-fridge available, and the tv/entertainment center has outlets that you can plug your laptop into if you want to watch a movie from the laptop. The lobby staff was a bit stand-offish and young, but I really didn't care. The only thing that was lacking were pillows on the bed... too few! Nice to have a pizza place, a sub place, and burritos all next door, too!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us! We are very glad you enjoyed the aloft experience and are also appreciative of your candid feedback. I am happy to say we have added addtional pillows in our rooms, in part because of your input. Hope to see you again soon!
Fort Myers, FL
Reviewed November 14, 2010

This was a pretty bad experience for a hotel, and not representative of most Starwood properties. Someone else traveling with me was bumped to another hotel as they had many rooms closed due to maintenance issues. Arriving at midnight I found that my toilet would not flush. I mentioned this on my way out the first morning and came back that evening to find it still broke. Maintenance came and fixed it, and it broke again the next morning. I ended up having to Tweet Starwood to get it permanently fixed. After checkout I got a $10 charge for snacks that were quite obviously complementary.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I do apologize for the deficiencies you experienced, a broken toilet is definitely an issue that should be taken seriously. Several actions have been taken as a result of your feedback: all of our toilets have been inspected to ensure they are fully operational, our Front Desk Talent have attended a refresher course on the importance of providing exceptional service to every guest and we have increased the size of the snack pack pricing signage in each room. We take guest satisfaction very seriously and want to thank you again for your valuable feedback.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 14, 2010

We stayed for a night and it was fine. My husband and I went to the World Series and this was the closest hotel we could find for the best price. We really only slept there, the room was clean and large. The AC was very loud!!! The service was great, my husband is allergic to dogs and this is a dog friendly hotel, we I called to request a room that a dog had not been in they were very accommodating.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
I am very glad you had a chance to attend the World Series and that you stayed with us when you did so! Thank you for taking a moment to write a review of your stay, we have addressed your concern regarding the AC unit in your room as a result of your feedback. We are always happy to locate guests traveling without pets on our pet-free floors (2-5), so we hope you will decide to visit us again!
Northfield, IL
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Loved the upbeat atmosphere, all the little trendy touches and the great room. Nice, quiet and comfy. The bed was very soft and I had great sleep there. The bathrooms are excellent; love the shower and the soap/shampoo dispenser which means you don't have to unwrap all those little soaps you normally get in hotels. Great staff and lots of little extras like magazines and even free premium pens. I'm definitely going back

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Aloft_Las_Colinas, General Manager at Aloft Las Colinas, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your positive experience! Glad to hear you liked our amenity dispensers and all of the "extras" we have to offer!
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 19, 2010

very disappointed not to receive a few items in the mail left at the hotel......someone was not competent enough to put my correct address on the package ....so i was out of luck and was not compensated

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
I am very sorry to hear that your lost items were not returned to you, lost & found is certainly something we take very seriously. Please feel free to contact me directly to see if we can remedy this situation for you.
Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed October 17, 2010

We stayed here for a conference at DFW Airport. This is a typical Aloft property. Clean, Spartan, and dependable. We brought our two dogs, and they were met with a bag of treats and bedding and dishes.

The room was clean, and the bed decent, although again, like most Aloft properties, not as nice as other Starwood hotels. The staff was attentive. I do suggest strongly that if you are not the disco type, stay away from the bar request a room away from the lobby as it gets rather loud late in the evening. The location was very convenient and plenty of parking. There are lots of restaurants and grocery stores within short driving distance.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Thanks for your candid feedback! You and your pet are always welcome here at aloft Las Colinas! We have had even more establishments open up nearby, so you will have to come back and explore the area again soon!