“a-loss!”
Review of Aloft Las Colinas

Aloft Las Colinas
Ranked #28 of 77 Hotels in Irving
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Ok, so I have now stayed at a few aloft hotels and I know they are a more affordable hotel from the W Hotels. I have stayed at a lot of Ws. I know that aloft hotel rooms are the same size, the all seem to have that awkward bench/couch under the television. I don't think any of them have bathtubs, they all have showers with the built in soap and shampoo dispenser. they all have empty fridges, allowing you to shop and fill it with what you want in their refuel section. I certainly appreciate the vision that W Hotels had when creating aloft Hotels. I think young people should be able to stay at a hip hotels without always paying W prices but this aloft just fails on so many levels. I have never wanted to check out of a hotel so quickly as I did want to check out of this one!

I was checked in by Employee O. I will not say his name but he knows who he is. There was no acknowledgement of being a platinum member. He gave me the key and I had to ask about breakfast. He said "Oh yes you can have free breakfast or 500 points as a plat". I asked for the breakfast. He then turned and started working on something else. I had to ask him where the elevators were. I had one bag so I didn't need help but if I did need help, he didn't seem that concerned.

The rooms - the cow hide over the beds - whatever, this is Texas. Again, the rooms look like other aloft rooms. No drawers!!!!! They are smaller than other aloft Hotels I've stayed in. And horror, the heating/air conditioning in the room is like those you see in motels - you know the ones that are stand alone - not the window units but the ones that sit under the units. OMG. And it's horribly LOUD. Really? No central A/C or heating? We have to have these 1960 units, which by the way, cannot keep the rooms cool during the day. I leave on the A/C and return home (this is Texas during the summer) but the room is hotter than the hallway - I even have to go put my hand over the vent to ensure that it's blowing out cold air. The motor is too small or something - until the sun sets, close your curtains as this unit cannot keep your room cool. The windows also don't open but that's not a big deal.

Bed is comfortable. Room is comfortable BUT, the water pressure in the shower is the weakest I've ever experienced. It was better in a $30 night hotel in desert of Syria! Forget about trying to wash your hair. You have to turn quickly in the shower to allow it time to adequately wet your body. Is it just cheaply built? Why? If you want to take a quick shower, forget about it because it takes double the time to shower due to the horrible water pressure. You can also not control the water temperature. I turned it all the way to the end and it remained luke warm.

Breakfast is nice - if you have breakfast included, they give you a voucher which is good for a breakfast sandwich, juice, and piece of fruit. You order your breakfast in the re:fuel station and eat it somewhere in the lobby. There is no proper dining area and I think that's fine. When I ordered my sandwich, I went to "pay" and the person at the desk said I should have been given breakfast coupons. Employee O failed to mention this and failed to bother giving these to me. While I was there, another guest came to ask that his card be reactivated as it stopped working. The employee at the desk told him that it stopped working because his reservation showed him checking out that day. He replied and said that he asked Employee O to extend his reservation by one day. Employee O said he extended it but obviously did not.

Lastly ,when I booked, I chose a rate that they offered which said "Room and parking" making it seem that it included parking. Well, newsflash, parking is free so I don't understand why aloft offered that "rate".

The pool is small - you cannot swim laps but the outdoor area is nice. I liked the gym - the machines were new and worked well. You really sweat there because the heat was on. Another guest and I tried to switch it to air but no, it was stuck on heat - in August in Texas.

I think this hotel is trying to be like the other aloft Hotels but something went wrong - perhaps the owner took shortcuts and installed cheap fixtures and heating/air conditioners (by the way, it's true, the elevators have no air circulating so if you have to go up to 5, it can get quite stuffy). I stayed here due to its proximity and because I wanted to stay at a SPG hotel but perhaps if i returned, I'd try element or another hotel in this price point.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank citoyennea
Amy_Poe, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear citoyennea,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so sorry to hear that your stay was not as enjoyable as you expected. We want to thank you for all of your feedback, and we will certainly look into the issues that you mentioned during your stay. We are always looking to improve our guest experience so reviews from our loyal customers are very welcomed and apprecaited.

There are newer reviews for Aloft Las Colinas

Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at the Aloft. They were very accommodating to our small dogs. This made our trip less stressful. There are nearby restaurants and highway. The hotel is clean and well maintained. Great customer service!

• Stayed: August 2013
Amy_Poe, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear Michelle A.,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad that all of you had a nice and relaxing trip (pets included). We hope to see you back at Aloft Las Colinas soon!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel is very nice and well maintained. The staff is very polite and responsive to the guess needs.
The rooms are very nice, however the sheets look very tired and not pressed.
Good restaurants are near by the hotel and on walking distance. WIFI is free and good strong signal in the rooms.
The pool walls have an unfinished texture which is rough to the touch.
Overall we enjoyed our stayed

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Daphne M, Manager at Aloft Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you very much for your comments. I am always pleased to hear that our team is doing a wonderful job. I do hope you have the opportunity to visit with us again!

Thank you again and have an eezy breezy day!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I travel a lot and thought this hotel was a terrible place to stay if you are on business. It has potential if it had better management however.

The staff was polite, but very young. I never saw anyone over the age of 28 all week. The rooms were really well decorated, but hard to move around the bed. if you like modern hotels they were fun rooms. The TV was large and the best thing about the room. But they did not have suites or larger rooms. The lobby was fun and the bar was fun, but the music played 24/7. They had a pool table in the lobby and I played at leasts three nights. I thought the pool table was a great idea and it was the highlight of the week at the hotel. Don't know why more hotels don't have them. There are about four or five casual restaurants within one block, a place to get a manicure too. In house bar is nice, but food choices were for only if you were too tired to walk one block to the other options.

They advertise the internet for streaming videos and boast about their connectivity, which is one of the reasons we decided to stay here. But in fact, It is slower than I have seen in several years for a hotel. You can't even watch a short video from You Tube or news sites. Web pages loaded very slowly so for instance it was too much trouble to read on line papers. I could not download the WSJ or magazines that I could subscribe to. It was only usable for email, but downloading documents were difficult.

Three of the six nights there were parties in the main lobby so that the rest of the guests could not use the area and the staff was overwhelmed. While the parties were going on, the staff was not available. On my last night, they had shuttles running to pick people up from a bar until 2 in the morning and when the drunk people came back from the bar, they jumped in the pool and hung out in the outdoor area, right underneath all the rooms. The one staff person on duty could not get them to budge and the police were called. We did not get much sleep that night.

Only one staff person is available all day long to check you in answer the phone, take your orders from the to go food area and provide service to the rest of the guests.

When my fridge wasn't working, it took over two and a half hours and several calls to get someone to our room. By then, some of our fold was no longer safe and we threw it out.

First they told us for the shuttle that we just needed to call when we wanted to use it, then it changed to every 30 minutes for a day and a half, then it changed to first come first serve. This craziness was pretty much what we saw all week.

In summary, good bones for a cheap modern and funky hotel, but it was too chaotic and so poorly run that I would not stay at another Aloft again unless I could be assured from reviews that the other ones were not like this one. Certainly if you are over thirty need sleep, need good internet, don't stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms all the same pretty much, but better to stay facing away from the pool or far away from the no...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

I would like to thank you for taking the time out to share your comments. We appreciate all feedback as it allows us to grow as a hotel and provide a better service to our guest.

Thank you again and have a wonderful day!!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you are familiar with the Aloft brand, then this property will meet all your expectations. Personally, I like the boutique and hip feel, and I like that all the properties look alike.

For those not familiar, the hotel and the rooms are all set up to look very hipster and modern. The rooms are small but very functional (electrical outlets right where you need them). While looking cool, the hotels are budget-conscious and do not nickel-and-dime you (free water, free wi-fi are standard). Given that all the Alofts I've been in are the same, one could complain that they seem cookie-cutter, which is fine for me.

Front desk (or "aloha desk") was positive and friendly. My only issue was that there was no ice on the floor. We had to go all the way to ground floor to get ice. Otherwise, It was another great stay at an Aloft.

The location is set in the back of a small restaurant complex, but it's in heart of Las Colinas, off of 114 so easy to get to the airport or to downtown.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Meagan B, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Thank you for the great review and the very accurate description of the Aloft Brand! We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the feedback about the ice. We hope you are able to stay with us or at one of our other Aloft Hotels. Take care!

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Lots of amenities for the budget minded travler. Good restaurants in walking distance. Just a great place to stay. Sarah the front desk manager is extremely friendly and always willing to point her guest in the right direction.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience and I will pass your compliments on to Sarah.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My stay at the Aloft was fine. The room was a bit industrial and lacked warmth in decor. Kinda cheap feel to it like staying in a dorm room or an Ikea decorated hotel. For example, the wall above the bed had a cow hide insert that was paper instead of the real thing. It wasn't awful, just texturally lacking. Trying to be upscale and then cheapening it with a paper insert.

The bed was comfortable. The lights from the parking lot made it essential to turn down the blinds blocking out the sun in the morning. Maybe not a big deal to some, but I like waking up to the morning light. I couldn't get the a/c to run a comfortable temperature. It was either too hot or too cold even with the movement of only one degree. I woke up several times during the night on consecutive nights trying to adjust it appropriately.

Showers were unusually hot, so extra points for that and their shower products were above average. There was a small fridge, a safe that I couldn't get to work, and no tub, shower only. So after long days of standing on my feet, there was no relief to be found in a hot bath.

The pool table in the lobby with comfortable chairs was a nice change. The bar area was inviting of interesting conversations. And there was a snackbar area near the check-in desk that beckoned you to spend way too much on a candy bar. The pool area was nice. Parking was okay. The elevators were a little slow, but manageable.

I thought it was odd that they placed a small snack bag with a few munchies in it on my table. I thought it was a welcome gift, only to find out that if I opened the bag it would cost me $10! The snacks had been sitting in the window and seemed like they'd been there for some time and had a used kind of quality to them.

Feels like more of a college hangout than a business professional place to stay. That being said, my room was clean and quiet and I'd stay there again if need be. I probably wouldn't choose it, but I used Priceline to book it and named my own price for $50. Not a bad deal for that price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool or back area.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Daphne M, Manager at Aloft Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We all want you to know that it is greatly appreciated and hope you have the opportunity to visit with us again.