“Not bad...”
Review of Aloft Las Colinas

Aloft Las Colinas
Ranked #27 of 79 Hotels in Irving
Reviewed January 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed here simply because of the price. There were a host of hotels we could have chosen but decided to stay here because of a special rate of $62 a night. I have to admit the design of the hotel is truly modern but I enjoyed our stay. The rooms are small but the bed was awesome. Very comfortable. Self controlled thermostat was a plus. Also enjoyed the 42 inch flat screen television that's mounted on the wall in front of the bed. You can connect just about anything to it. The only thing I didn't like about the hotel is that there is only one way to enter the hotel. It would have been nice to have a side entrance to the rooms. The location of the hotel was great. My wife even went to the spa that is located in the same lot as the hotel. She really enjoyed it. Access to the freeway was excellent. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Aloft_Las_Colinas, General Manager at Aloft Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to really paint a picture of your stay with us. It sounds as though you, and especially your wife, enjoyed your time here! We do hope you will come back soon!

Reviewed January 8, 2012

We've stayed at the aloft in Chicago also; the place in Irving is located near the DFW and close enough to dallas to travel to and from the city and other site.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Aloft_Las_Colinas, General Manager at Aloft Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

Thank you for staying with us in both Chicago and here in Las Colinas! Very glad to hear you found our location so convenient! Please come back soon!

Reviewed December 9, 2011

This is such a weird place, it is almost an out of body experience staying at an Aloft. But it is very close to my meetings and I am loyal to Starwoods, and the price was decent. I arrived late, around 10:00 so it was check-in, wash-up and sleep.

The lobby has a floating check-in desk and I was quickly given a room, very efficient. The bar area has about 6 seats and there is a self-serve food area. The two elevators are a bit slow but there are only 5 stories, so no big deal.

The room is very small, maybe 15x15. The room is separated into a sleeping /work area and a closet / bath area with a free standing wall in between. Immediately to one side upon entering is an open closet (no door but a piece of fabric), a sink (badly designed and you will need to be careful or water will splash all over you); then a sliding door with the WC and the stall shower beyond the door. Soaps for the shower are contained in quart-sized containers in the shower. Some will like and others will prefer regular soap and little bottles of shampoo.

On the other side of the separator is a bed, two night stands, a desk, a long bench for your luggage and another table. An iron and board are located around the bed in a little cubby. An old fashioned alarm clock is on one of the night tables and if you want to plug in your cell phone, just unplug the cordless phone on the other night stand.

The room was clean, the bed very comfortable, the wireless worked well and the HD TV on the wall was fine. Overall nothing really to complain about other than it is very small. Call it Basic Hip.

My only issues on the visit were the food availability and the cab they called. There is a very limited supply of self served food. For a place with a business model of hip and cool, heating your breakfast in a microwave is not. Likewise, they placed hip over efficient and was so impressed about ordering an Eco-cab that is took 25 minutes for it to arrive. And then the driver could just make up a price (I was incredibly ripped off) since there is no meter in the cab.

Overall I might stay here again but the 200 Starwood points I earned for my visit is probably not worth it.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Aloft_Las_Colinas, General Manager at Aloft Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2011

Thank you for staying with us during your recent business trip into the area, we certainly appreciate your loyalty to Starwood! I do hope that you will decide to visit again, as many of our guests of all ages really seem to enjoy their time with us more and more with each trip!

Reviewed December 5, 2011

While the overall stay was consistent with other aloft locations, I won't return to this location due to frustrations with an erroneous charge that appeared after checkout that management refused to refund. The check-in experience, general location, and room itself were otherwise good.

The issue is that a $10 charge appeared on my account after I checked out. When I called the hotel directly to inquire, I was told it was for a "snack pack" that I consumed. I explained that I hadn't even been aware there was a snack pack in my room. I recalled my exact routine that night and explained it to management: I checked in close to 10pm, embrassingly treated myself to McDonald's next door, picked up a cheescake slice from the aloft refuel station ($6), returned to my room, went to sleep, and checked out between 5-6am. There was no snack pack involved. The local hotel checked with housekeeping and their records indicated the snack pack had been removed from my room, and the local associate explained, "I'm sure you can understand that I won't be able to refund the charge."

As a SPG Platinum member, I contact the Platinum Desk and explained the situation. They followed up with the local manager who STILL refused to refund the erroneous charge. Instead, the Platinum representative awarded me points to try to do right by me.

I do think the Platinum desk handled it well, but I will not support the aloft Las Colinas on a return trip.

If you stay here, I'd recommend having a hotel associate physically sign off on whether or not a "snack pack" is in your room at check in and check out to avoid the frustration I experienced! If you have an opportunity to stay at a different aloft (there are others in the DFW metro area), go with that option.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Aloft_Las_Colinas, General Manager at Aloft Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2011

Thank you for staying with us recently and taking a minute to provide your feedback. I am happy to hear your stay itself was an enjoyable one, although I must apologize for the frustrating situation you mentioned regarding your in room snack. Your satisfaction is paramount to us and I welcome you to contact me directly if you would like to do so.

Reviewed December 1, 2011

My wife and I stayed here after getting a good price on Priceline. It is a 3 star with a modern slant. We stayed 3 nights over the Thanksgiving Holiday. We really enjoyed the very comfortable king size bed in front of a wall mounted 42 inch lflat screen. I was able to use my portable tablet computer to play netflix over the big screen. There is a universal video box connected to the TV wit a lot of inputs, I simply unplugged the HDMI cable and attached it to my video out adapter. The shower was a little weak on the fifth floor but was comfortable. There is a pocket sliding door for the toilet/shower area. The sink was unique and stylish. Everything was clean and neat.
We didn't take advantage of the pool table in the lobby but if our teenagers were still with us, I am sure they would have.
Getting to the place is a challenge when you approach from the Southeast. because there is a lot of construction of the freeway coming by, you have to drive for what seems like miles on the frontage road. The approach from the northwest is easy, get off 114, and you are there. The pizza place nearby is no longer open. There is a nice bakery restaurant and a sandwich shop in the same area. The breakfast sandwich at the hotel itself is actually pretty tasty for about $4.

Wi-fi worked well and was no additional fee.

One night we entered through the pool plaza area in the dark. There were two changes in the level of the plaza that were not lit well and we almost tumbled down. That area should have a little more light at night.

Be careful when entering the area, as a bank customer coming blindly out of the drive-thru almost hit me as I passed through the parking lot getting to the hotel which is toward the back of the lot.

Room Tip: End of the hall way lets you exit right to the parking lot.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your very candid and informative review. It sounds as though your Thanksgiving stay was an enjoyable one, which is great to hear! We are happy to have been a part of your holiday! We have two new eateries opening soon right next door and enhanced lighting in our Backyard area, so we hope you will enjoy your next stay with us even more!

Reviewed November 28, 2011

I have been a W Hotel patron since 1999. I chose the Las Colinas property because of the brand name, and my past experiences have always been great. I utilized my room at the aloft as a working location in the Dallas area. The room, housekeeping staff, and lobby bar staff all met or exceeded my expectations. My business was extended and I called the front desk to see if there was a problem extending my stay one day. I was told that there was no availability. I pack my things, book a reservation at another Starwood property, and prepare to leave. I received two subsequent phone calls to my room notifying me that I could indeed stay the additional requested day. I unpack, cancel the reservation, and resume my working day. I received a call three hours later from the front desk informing me that she made a mistake and I would have to vacate the room immediately, or be charged for a day that I wouldn't be able to use. I'm peeved, contact my client and inform them that I would be unavailable for the next few hours, attempt to stop a major payroll data validation process, attempt to reset my previously canceled reservation,(of course they were sold out) and pack. I contact the front desk for assistance with information on other Starwood properties and received nothing but a cavalier attitude and a suggestion to call a nearby Marriott or a Sheraton downtown.

In my opinion, this woman was not well trained to use the hotel room reservation system. The woman displayed has limited experience with business travelers, generic customer service, and common courtesy. One would chalk this up to a set of isolated incidents, but my colleague who checked out the previous Sunday, received the same gruff, yet uninformed attitude when asking about a late checkout. She checked in after 10pm and wanted to go to Sunday brunch without her luggage and was told she'd be charged an extra day if she didn't "vacate" the room by 1pm.

I have three client locations all within a seven minute drive from the aloft Las Colinas. This last trip was the first time I left an Aloft/W hotel unhappy and taught me a lesson that location isn't everything.

Train your staff. Saying the words, "I don't know" or "No" is more palatable than having a guest spend money acting on a guess or an outright lie.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank J S
Aloft_Las_Colinas, General Manager at Aloft Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

I must apologize for the confusion and frustration you experienced on the day of your departure, this certainly does not reflect the level of service and satisfaction we strive to deliver. Your review is very much appreciated and I will be using it as a training tool to help ensure this scenario does not repeat itself. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if I can ever be of assistance, I would welcome the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed November 25, 2011

I was covering the Barcelona - Club America match at Cowboys Stadium in August 2011 and chose to stay at the aLoft since it was one of the nicer, better value hotels close to Cowboys Stadium. Thankfully it isn't in the crowded Arlington area, but the drive there was easy. A plus is that the hotel is located next to a retail complex with several decent places to eat.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Aloft_Las_Colinas, General Manager at Aloft Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

We are happy to hear that our location and nearby amenities made your stay with us an enjoyable one . . . many of our guests are in town for events at Cowboy's Stadium, The American Airlines Center and other nearby venues. We hope to see you again soon!