“a nice stay”

Ranked #55 of 77 Hotels in Irving
Berkeley, CA
“a nice stay”
Reviewed August 29, 2006

I thought the Wyndham Las Colinas was a great deal for the money. Maybe my ideas on hotel prices are skewed, since I live in California, but the Wyndham's neoclassical-ish decor seemed very elegant to me (except for the TV that sometimes blared in the lobby), the room and bed were comfortable, the pool was a good size, and the breakfast buffet looked appetizing (we didn't actually try it, but the room service breakfast was tasty and more than ample). There were a few imperfections--our room service order was lost for a while, and the room sometimes smelled a little of mildew or paint--but overall, it was a good experience, and made me willing to try Wyndham hotels in other cities.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — Room service problem
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Christine_U

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Czech first
Reviewed February 19, 2006

My husband & I were married at this Hotel in 2001. We live in this city and use this hotel as a "getaway". This Valentines weekend in 2006 we took advantage of their Valentine Getaway & loved it! Gorgeous roses in our room, chocolate covered strawberries & a beautiful rose petal covered king size bed to relax in! It was fantastic. The 4 course meal we had for dinner was simply delicous as well as the brunch that came with the package. We were not disappointed & welcome the opportunity to retreat to this great hotel in the near future.

• Stayed February 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 26, 2005

Booked a non-smoking room over the internet for $44/day with breakfast included.

When my husband and I checked in at 3:30pm. They gave us a smoking room saying that all rooms where booked and everyone had checked in. I couldn't believe it since the parking lot was practically empty.

We had them spray down the room hoping it would subdue the smoke, but it still smelled. Smoke permeated the entire room. We had to go buy more freebreeze and plug-ins to help us cope with the odor. We stayed one night and the smoke even permeated into our clothes. I never felt so dirty. Personally, I don't know of any smokers who want to smell or sleep in smoke.

In addition, the bathroom looked aged and outdated.

The person at the front desk lied to us about not having a continental breakfast, but offerred a buffet at $10. This was untrue; in our room we clearly saw the breakfast door card listing all their breakfast option and a continental breakfast was one of those things. Then we were also told that our breakfast was not free b/c we didn't has the free coupon for it. The staff did nothing to help us deal with this matter.

I was disappointed with the whole experience. It left me frustrated and overwhelm. It was not worth it.

• Stayed December 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Panay Island, Philippines
Reviewed October 18, 2005

We were pleased with our stay at Las Colinas. Contrary to another review, we found the property to be well-maintained. Our room overlooked the courtyard garden which gave the room a pleasant view. We booked our stay through Priceline and paid about $30. At this price, Las Colinas is a great bargain. Be aware that if you book through a third party web site that Wyndham will charge $10 for Internet access.

• Stayed October 2005
1 Thank Archipelago
Reviewed September 11, 2005

i paid $58 per night.

pros: nice toiletries, nice bedding, tasteful decor, good in-room coffee (not the usual bitter kind), pretty nice furnishings, ergonomic work chair, powerful A/C, quiet room (except for hallway noise), decent showerhead water pressure.

cons: breakfast is NOT free, internet is NOT free, i think they no longer have in-room dining besides breakfast because the menu was missing from my guest directory and it did not exist on the tv service menu, they put the nice ergononmic work chair *right* in front of the A/C (too cold to work at desk), a bit aged (shower/tub should be redone, maybe carpeting too), extra blanket gave off so much lint that it made me sneeze and left lint all over my clothes and in my hair, allows pets -- had some loud dogs barking in hallway at night.

they give you real glasses, ceramic mugs, a marble counter in the bathroom, and a cordless phone, if you like that sort of thing.

they have showtime. the tv channel selection seemed a bit limited compared to other hotels (not many channels available). the television reception was good, but the volume was a problem (it was either too loud or too quiet).

the shower/tub is tile (with a real tub -- not the one-unit plastic kind of more recent years), but with all the patch jobs, they should probably replace everything. not sure when the hotel was built, but its age is showing.

the staff was professional and courteous, and they have a nice lounge area and nice courtyard.

i was most disappointed with the fact that you have to pay $10 per day for internet access (unlimited usage for the day through waypoint). this rate applies to *each* computer accessing the internet, so if you have two people with laptops, you'll pay $20 per day.

the rooms are soundproofed, which is great but interferes with wireless internet service (or at least it does with verizon wireless broadband access, which i use). i had to put my laptop right next to the window in order to get it to work, which meant no working from the comfort of the bed (and the bed is pretty comfortable if you like firm beds). however, the soundproofing worked well -- i never heard the folks in the rooms adjacent to mine and i could barely hear the people walking around in the room above me. but as with most hotels, people (and barking dogs) in the hallway sounded like they were right there in the room with you.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 19, 2005

I have just stayed in this hotel and I had a great experience. I got off course getting to the hotel, but when I called the hotel they gave me step by step directions to get there and they were very professional.

My room was clean, neat and the bed was like sleeping on a cloud. That had to be some of the best sleep I ever had.

The hotel is very close to downtown, the grapevine Mills mall and the church that I came to visit "The Potters House".

The hotel is in a very upscale neighborhood and I would stay there again.

June 18-19, 2005

• Stayed June 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Savannah, TX
Reviewed June 9, 2005

Since I chose this venue to rant on the Wyndham St Anthony in San Antonio, I figure I owe to it to them to share a good Wyndham experience as well. My wife and I stayed at the Wyndham Garden Las Colinas recently and had a very pleasant experience. Nice room with requests met, friendly staff... especially Frank the bartender. We understand they are going to be going through some renovations later this summer which will make it an even better stop. We lucked into this property through Hotwire and got an unbelievably low rate. We would stay again if circumstances put us in the area again.

• Stayed June 2005