“A decent 3-star hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree DFW Airport North

You added DoubleTree DFW Airport North to your Saves list
DoubleTree DFW Airport North
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4441 W John Carpenter Freeway, Irving, TX 75063 (Formerly Wyndham DFW Airport North)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
STOP CLICKING AROUND
Ranked #60 of 78 Hotels in Irving
Dallas, Texas
“A decent 3-star hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Had a short trip here in the DFW area and chose to stay at this hotel. Recent reviews of the hotel is rather shocking and most likely scared many travelers away.

My stay, however, was quite delightful.

Pros
1. I arrived early and was unable to check-in because I was 2 hours early. I was not offered a cookie because the cookies were cold? However, they had politely asked me to wait and offered me a cold drink while I waited, which was nice. The wait was about 15 minutes but I finally was able to be upgraded to an executive room with slippers and bottled water. (HHONOR Gold)

2. The food was good. Tried both breakfast and dinner. The continental breakfast voucher was actually an awesome full breakfast buffet with omelets ready-for-order. The server, Martha is very sweet. I was shocked that she worked both the morning and the night shift.

3. Upon leaving, they gave me 2 cookies since I didn't get any upon arrival.

4. Late check-out 2pm was granted.

Cons
1. Like what many others have said, the walls are paper-thin. You can hear every word of the neighboring room. My neighbor went to sleep around 11pm, and so did I.

2. Tiny bathroom, almost no space to wipe yourself.

3. Staff seems to be quite inexperienced and lack of HHonor policies.

4. Executive lounge is closed on weekend

The best of the best was that the hotel price was merely a little over $60, so I cannot complain any more. Decent stay for an overnight in Dallas area.

Room Tip: Good for short stays
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lin R
Dustin F, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree DFW Airport North, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thank you for the review! All of your comments will be shared with our staff. Your feedback is important to us and will help us improve our guests' experience. Thank you again for the review. We hope to see you again the next time you travel to the DFW area.

Dustin Foster
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here for a one night stay for an early morning flight. As a HHonors Diamond Member I expect Doubletree's to be a bit higher quality than Hampton's and Homewood Suites...not the case here at all.

My main issue with the place is the cleanliness or should I say lack there of...
Crumbs and Food Stain clearly visible on carpet next to desk area...looked fairly recent to me
Towels with holes in them...why would any one out out towels that worn out?
Towels with stains
Hair in tub and sink
Greasy light switches and TV remote
Fingerprints on the microwave

I think you get the point by now.

A few other things that weren't so great...
The AC unit made the room seem like a wind tunnel both in noise and actual wind speed! Your two options were, let the AC turn on and off as a normal one functions but be violently woken up every time the damn thing kicks on since it sounded like a mortar blast or you could just leave the fan run for instant tornado like wind speeds in the room...yes I'm exaggerating but not by too much.

Lastly, I should know by now but it was a very long day and I settled for room service. Settled is the correct word here...overpriced and under seasoned food as with most hotels.

To end on a positive note, it was only for one night and the front desk staff was very polite and nice upon check in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank CCTVTrainer
LAWRENCE W, General Manager at DoubleTree DFW Airport North, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear CCTVTrainer,

Thank you for providing us with feedback about your stay. I wanted to apologize for the lack of cleanliness you encounter at our hotel. This is truly not indicative of the condition of our guest rooms. We always strive to provide the best product in the market to all guest. Unfortunately sometimes we fall short of this goal as we did during your stay. I hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future to provide you with a product we are known for.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I can't say enough positive things about this hotel! The staff is beyond great customer service even the cleaning staff is friendly! I have to give special thanks to the front desk people for being so wonderful to my family they even played with my little boy when he was restless! And the free cookies are to die for! I'd pay for a dozen if they'd send them to me! Lol the rooms are lovely and very comfortable the pool is gorgeous and has the perfect atmosphere for anything you could need whether it be some quiet romantic time or a fun day with friends and kids. Even with the airport right there and them doing rennovations we were never bothered by noise. It was a great stay! I would recommend this hotel to any an everyone! The only bad thing that happened is I left my personal pillow there and it been a week and I forgot to call! Lol but I will be trying tomorrow and who knows maybe they'll throw me in some cookies ;-P I'll definetly be taking my family back hers! Loved the manager he was a very nice man and isn't even mind my son throwing his pacifier at him lol he just played along! Perfect! It's far enough away you don't have to deal with so much traffic but close enough 10 minutes and you're at a large stretch of restaraunts and shops to choose from! I can't rate the hotel high enough!

• Stayed September 2012
Dear BWavada,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey, we value each and every guest opinion. I wanted to thank you for your kind words about your recent stay. In this social media world we live in, all too often people only write negative comments. It was truly a pleasure to see someone use this medium for a good cause! I have shared your comments with my team. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Overall not happy with this hotel. Many other choices nearby and would choose one of them in the future.

Things started off poorly with bad shuttle service from the airport. The hotel is 10 minutes away, but somehow took over an hour to get a shuttle from the airport to pick me up - this was after 2 calls to the hotel. The hotel staff were all very nice, but I was not welcomed as a gold member. I complained about the shuttle service and did eventually receive 2 drink coupons from the manager a few hours later.

The room was not ready yet, but was early and was available soon. It was very dated and dirty. Carpet was in bad shape and the bathroom seriously needed to be knocked down and replaced.

I found out later from another guest that there was a exec floor lounge - the front desk staff never told me that and I did not know that - would have appreciated knowing that earlier.

The rate of the hotel was good, but would stay at one of the other airport hotels in the future. Maybe if they remodel it would be better, but the shuttle service really needs to improve.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank xiphoid76
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey, we value each and every guest opinion. I wanted to apologize for the lack of service you received. We have adjusted our shuttle staffing to reduce the waits at the airport. Our front office manager has met with the team to ensure they understand the importance of acknowledging all of our valued Hilton Honor members and improving communication between our guest and agents. We hope that you will give our hotel another opportunity to show you the service we are known for.

Long Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

As some other reviewers have written, this hotel doesn't give many positive first impressions. The exterior is very dated. The lobby is dated, dark and poorly laid out. The hallways have a very 70s vibe with the carpet and wall colors.
If I had planned a stay of more than one night, I would have asked for another room. The carpet in the entry was as dirty as I've ever experienced in a hotel room, and there were stains throughout the room (I wore socks during my stay, except when I was getting in and out of the shower). The bathroom area wasn't bad, and had upgraded flooring with a slate stone appearance, but there was no towel bar beside the sink.
The positive to the room was the bed. It was very comfortable, and had very attractive and clean bedding. Unfortunately, the TV was a small flat panel, the desk had few power outlets and the internet was a fairly slow wi-fi service.
One more sign of poor management and attention to detail was the presence of dirty linens piled up near the housekeeping rooms at the ends of the hallway when I checked in at 5pm. There's no excuse for this practice late in the afternoon.
The final problem I encountered was when I went into the bathroom in the morning and found a large cockroach running around. While this hotel is in a good location near DFW, I would look for other options if returning to the area.

Room Tip: The hotel has tower rooms and a 2 story section around the pool. Be careful to ask where your room i...
    • 3 of 5 stars
LAWRENCE W, General Manager at DoubleTree DFW Airport North, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Jeff D,

We apologize for the very unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. Our guests’ health and safety is very important to us and is always a focal point of our property operations. We appreciate that you brought this to our attention and are working to make sure the problems are addressed.

Charlotte
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

It started with a large cockroach in my room upon check in, so they switched my room Then the pool water was below the skimmer line, pumps were off. Of course I only realized this after jumping in. Had long brownish hairs showing up in my tub after housekeeping was there ( I have pretty much a buzz cut). Only 1 shuttle bus running while 3 are broken down in lot. The one shuttle driver would make a NASCAR driver envious. Hope no one steps in his way. Was left at restaurnat where one driver dropped me off and when I called for ride back they told me I needed the address. Waited over an hour. Ricardo the assistant front desk manger, I have no idea how he got his job as he had no clue and when I complained about them asking me for the address where they dropped me off, his answer was that they don't live around there either. Needless to say I was at the only chain restaurant in their 5 mile shuttle area with its name. Carpets were dirty, I could go on and on. Just not a good place to stay. How it maintains the double tree status is beyond me. I first contacted Hilton's main site with my complaints, and they never contacted me so figured I would go this route. Oh yeah, then I forgot my laptop charger and called them and after being transferred to the third person, I was told they would check and call me right back....Still waiting on that phone call. Please stay somewhere where they may actually care about their customers.

1 Thank Jeff S
LAWRENCE W, General Manager at DoubleTree DFW Airport North, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Jeff S,

I am writing in response to your comments. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay. We value each and every guest and can only improve if we receive comments such as yours. I wish to express my sincere apology for the unpleasant experience you had at our hotel. I assure you that this is not indicative of the level of service and quality we strive to provide to each of our very valued customers. Clearly we have failed to provide you with the quality and service you have come to expect from Doubletree and from any hotel similar to ours. I will not make any excuses for the issues you pointed out, I will say that we are and will fix them all. Your comments and experiences at our property have been reviewed with the entire management team of the Hotel.

I sincerely hope that this unfortunate incident does not cause you to rethink your selection of the Double Tree DFW Airport North as your choice for your future travel needs. We do value your business and appreciate you conveying your comments and experiences to us as this affords a valuable opportunity to improve on our services.

Please, contact me if there is anything else I can do for you at Lawrence.Williams2@hilton.com

Conroe, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

So don't necessarily write a ton of reviews, especially given as much as I travel and I don't typically review the middle of the road anything, but I do have the time and thought I would for this hotel. Plus, I am giving it 4 although I still consider it an almost average hotel, but I appreciate the "extras" if you will. I know price is always relative and how people view that is as well, but the DT here is priced very reasonable, especially when you factor in what it has. For a traveler, I find this hotel extremely accommodating. It has internet access (fairly strong wifi on 5th floor), a large sittable lobby, a business center with fast computers and printers that actually work, a coffee shop with Starbucks coffee (in the morning), a long bar, restaurant in house, breakfast buffett, a "pantry" off the side of the check in area for sodas and snacks, and a super fast elevator. Now some of these, like the breakfast buffett is not quite Embassy Suites, but nevertheless, it is there, and it was good enough.

Also, the hotel is obviously nicely situated near DFW Airport which is a plus for traveling. While restaurants nearby is an issue and unless you want to walk to the gas station or Denny's, walking is out of the question to go eat. But, if you have a car and know how to turn right or left, you can find restaurants off the main highway and 114 will take you directly into Dallas if you can read road signs and if you desire.

But again, as a traveler, I liked the ease of hopping on 114 and easily getting to choose if I wanted the George Bush expressway or 635 depending on the time of day.

In terms of the room, I am always thankful when I have a fridge and a microwave, although I used neither, nice to have. The AC in my room worked extremely well, although it was super loud. For me, the louder the better, but I know for others, that noise bothers them. I am sure every room is different though. Other amenities were excellent, clean room, comfortable bed with lots of pillows, annoying energy lights that take forever to turn on completely but do eventually, a flat screen TV, a desk and plenty of outlets (Woohoo). I'm not a stay in the room kind of guy, so if that is what you want, you will need a bigger hotel, bigger room and a bigger price tag. But the room is normal and most certainly not a "prison cell" and the ceilings, except for in the powder room area, are normal height for any hotel.

For me, while hotels are not unique in Dallas, I would have no problem recommending this one
or staying here again myself.

Donut44,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay. In this era of social media we live in now, all feedback is essential to the success of our hotel rather good or bad. I wish to express my sincere thanks for your kind words and recommendation of our property. The team strives to provide an experience that not only meets but exceeds each and every guest expectations. We know we have room for improvement and will continue to work on improving the guest experience and our property. Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.