“Gives Westin a bad name”

The Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport
Ranked #7 of 77 Hotels in Irving
Flowood, Mississippi
“Gives Westin a bad name”
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Location was fine. Lobby is nice and new but the bed rooms say a different story. Torn Linen, no supplies in the room, fridge not working, carpets not cleaned and bath towels have seen bettter days.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
WestinGM1, General Manager at The Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Thank you for you feedback. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for this experience in our hotel. Our staff of dedicated hospitality professionals works hard each and every day to ensure that the guest experience in our hotel is a refreshing and renewing one. Clearly we disappointed in your instance. As this is certainly not the standard in which we have set or aspire to exceed I want to thank you for bringing this to our attention. You have my commitment that you will not find this type of condition should you allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Champaign, Il
Reviewed November 21, 2011

American Airlines gave me a free night at this westin because my flight was delayed due to mechanical issues. (AA apparently feel hotels are cheaper than preventative maintenance but I digress, this isn't a review of AA).

The hotel is nice. the room is well decorated and clean. I got here late but still ate dinner in the bar. The food was okay; hopefully its better during the normal dinner hour.

the front desk was very helpful, including providing free internet and toothbrush/toothpaste. It was clear they wanted to help my unexpected layover be as positive as possible.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
We appreciate your feedback. This type of information is invaluable to us as we constantly look for ways to improve the guest experience in our hotel. We look forward to serving you again in the future and yes the food in the restaurant is exceptional.
Fresno, California
Reviewed November 18, 2011

American Airlines gave us a voucher for a room at the Westin DFW Airport because we missed our connection due to mechanical problems. It is a typical businessman's hotel near an airport. Way overpriced for the level of service in my opinion. We could not take a shower in the morning because the threads on the shower handle were stripped; the handle just spun on the shaft when we tried to turn it on. ("Sorry", the desk clerk said, as if a maid should not have noticed this.) The toilet needed a new flapper, because it kept coming on to refill every few minutes. We had dinner in their restaurant on the airline voucher; prime rib was OK but the "broccoli with hollandaise" side was limp, flavorless, oversteamed, with fake hollaindaise. A Las Vegas buffet could do better for $10.95 instead of Westin's $32.

The desk clerk very courteously gave us free internet when I mentioned our situation, but the regular charge would have been $10. I don't understand why, when hotels like this charge premium prices for mediocre service, they load an EXTRA charge for internet on top of everything else. For Christ's sake, $50 roadside motels give you free internet. Why can't these big hotels just put everything into their room price, instead of charging for a phony add-on? Might as well charge extra for sheets.

I can't see any reason for anyone to pay the price for a place like this when the bottom line is that they don't even care about providing a working shower. I pity the "working warriors" who have to make this kind of place their regular stopover. Given a choice, I would never stay at a Westin when traveling again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
We appreciate the time you have taken to express your feelings about our hotel. Even though your experience is not typical of what we hear from the vast majority of our guests I do sincerely apologize for what seems to have been very disappointing. I only wish that I had had the opportunity to visit with you while you were a guest in the hotel. I am sure that we would have found a way to resolve these issues to your complete satisfaction. This type of information is very valuable to us and I assure you we will use it to improve the experience for future guests.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I'd read every review i could find on the Westin hotel. how comfortable can a hotel bed be?! The beds were really that comfortable! The room was nicely decorated the size of the rooms were a little small and the bathrooms were tiny. The pool and hot tub were great. I can't complain about onlookers from the gym. < there was noone exercising> The hotel staff were friendly and very helpful. The downfall I'd say was the smell in some of the hallways and it seemed be different on every level, I thought it was a musty smell this did not carry into the room. Disappointed that a 4star hotel charged for internet usage, as most 3 star hotels do not charge you for internet.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
FT Worth
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Went to the Westin for a quick overnight stay with the wife. The place while a little older was very nice, The roof-top pool and hot-tub were really cool and the planes fly right over. The hotel had a Starbucks inside and the rooms were up to Westin par. Overall this was a nice place for the money.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Ames, Iowa
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I chose to stay at this hotel as I am nearing Starwood Gold status and have til the end of the year to get it before my stays reset. I chose westin since it has an airport shuttle. For the price paid I was disappointed. I was in the second floor, the room was tiny and the low ceilings (7 ft) made it seem even smaller. The bathroom didn't include an exhaust fan thus there was black mildew starting to form in the shower as well as some rust forming on other surfaces. Also no mouthwash bottles were provided in the bathroom, something some hampton inns and holiday express (lower star level hotels) do provide. The staff were excellent, very friendly, polite, well dressed, and knowledgeable. There was plenty of noise seeping into the room, I think housekeeping was vacuming hallways at 7 am. Overall the room was fine, it just felt like a typical bad holiday inn except the hotel actually completed critical maintaince in the rooms. Not worth the money I paid but I noticed priceline paperwork on the check in counter. My guess is that they are selling the rooms for 70 bucks to priceline customers and sticking it to their own customers, since that is prolly the case it would have been nice to get a free upgrade, breakfast, something.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank chuck29355
WestinGM1, General Manager at The Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Dear Valued Guest

I apologize for what certainly seems like a less than desirable experience during your last stay. I assure you that we value all of our customers and none more than the loyal Starwood Preferred Guests. We take great pride in knowing that the vast majority of guests that stay with us leave refreshed and renewed, better than they arrived. I do deeply apologize that we did not accomplish that in your case. I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the future so that we can regain you trust in our hotel.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 3, 2011

It was a very big bed and extremely comfortable and it lived up to their reputation but one particular pillow had a horrible body odor on it. I threw it on the floor and it still smelled. They also charged $9.95 for internet usage in the room which normally comes free by their competitors. I simply had to go out to local restaurants for free wifi but would expect hotel in this caliber to offer that for their customers. Thank god I didn't have to pay for the parking.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Jyhming
Thank you for taking the time to bring this issue to our attention. The Westin Heavenly Bed experience is essential to any Westin stay and I apologize that we fell short. I will certainly address this with our housekeeping team. As this is the first time we have had this type of issue I want to address it quickly to avoid it for future guests. I appreciate this information and we appreciate your patronage. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again the next time your travels bring you to the DFW area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irving
Hyatt Regency DFW
#1 of 204 in Dallas
Homewood Suites by Hilton Irving - DFW Airport
Home2 Suites by Hilton Irving / DFW Airport North
Dallas/Fort Worth Airport Marriott

Been to The Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport? Share your experiences!