“OK for the price”

Ranked #45 of 77 Hotels in Irving
Massachusetts
“OK for the price”
Reviewed March 27, 2007

This hotel is one of many in a "hotel 'hood" near DFW that cater to exhausted and stranded travelers. I had stayed at the nearby Ramada compliments (and I use the word with a touch of sarcasm) of the airline, and this time, on my own dollar, decided to sample another of the properties in what I call "desperation row."

I contacted the hotel around 10 PM from the airport and was told to wait outside the terminal doors as the shuttle was in the area and would be along "in a minute." This translated to 40 minutes in actual
time. In case you are a stranded traveler and are reading this take note: when you exit the terminal follow the signs to "courtesy van" area. This sign, at least where I was waiting, was unlit, grey and almost invisible in the dark. It was about a half-block away from the terminal doors, where the desk clerk had told me to wait. I would
have seen the hotel shuttle in any case, but would have had to trot quite a ways down the street to catch it. (Thanks to the anonymous parking lot shuttle driver who clued me in to wait 'at the grey sign.')

The hotel has a well marked 9-(or so) passenger van -- the kind you have to hoist yourself up into, and pray your skirt is long enough to cover your dignity as you haul yourself in (whatever happened to those little plastic stepstools vans used to use?) and that you are not going to have to sandwich yourself into the last spot. The driver
was polite and genial, even asking each person "How was your trip?" (Since his clientele must be mostly disgruntled passengers who are staying in the area because of misfortune, I have to commend his upbeat attitude.) The trip to the hotel took about ten minutes.

Check in was efficient and the desk agent was pleasant, although she had not been taught guest security guidelines: as she handed each guest a key she announced the room number. As a woman traveling alone, and assigned a room with a window at ground level off the parking lot, I was not happy with the broadcast of my location. Also, when I returned to the desk a few minutes later with my frequent guest card I was told there was no way to add the number to my folio and that I would have to call the main Choice Privileges office. (This is not true, but unless you know how to instruct the staff member how to add the number into the computer it is easier to contact the main office.)

When I opened the door to my room my first impression was that it smelled like urine. Human urine, dog urine? It was not fresh or overpowering, but lingering and unmistakable. I own dogs and cats, I know lingering urine smells. I also know how to expunge them, and will send information on my favorite product to the hotel management.) You may wonder why I did not immediately return to the desk and ask for a new room. I considered it. I turned on the AC, which worked well and brought in fresher air, examined the bed, which
passed my inspection, and decided that the bed was more enticing than
the effort of confronting the desk about a change of room. Did I mention I had only six hours before I had to leave? If I was going to stay longer I certainly would have changed rooms. (In my experience it is often trading one defect for another in this price range.)

The carpeting, walls and bathroom floors showed signs of wear. The shower was clean, had good water pressure and plenty of hot water. There was a refrigerator and microwave, although I did not check either of them out. The desk area was good sized and the free WiFi worked well. The bed was your garden variety hotel standard bed with clean sheets and flattish pillows. The television worked and had a good variety of channels.

I requested a wake up call and received it on time. Check out was fast and efficient. The shuttle picked me up at the promised time. I saw that there was a complimentary breakfast but I left too early to partake of it. The listed hours are 6 AM to 10 AM. I also noticed there was a coin-op laundry for guest use, and a pool. Beverage and snack vending machines were located next to the ice machine. There was a good variety of snacks and carbonated beverages at reasonable vending machine prices.

Would I recommend this hotel to a friend? Yes, if stranded this is an OK place for the price. Next time -- and with air travel you just know there will be a next time -- I will try another hotel to see if it will supplant this one's place on my list. I'll let you know how that goes.

• Liked — Convenient to DFW, courtesy shuttle and rate under $70.
  • Disliked — Dreary, worn, and room had lingering urine odor.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Tat8er

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 24, 2007

Our family stayed here because we had an early morning flight out of DFW in mid-November 2006. The hotel is unremarkable, and mainly caters to people in a similar situation or stranded travelers. One nice feature is park-n-fly, which allows you to leave your vehicle at the hotel and use their shuttle to/from the terminals. I think the charge was $5/day.

• Liked — Convenience to DFW Airport
  • Disliked — Proximity to DFW Airport meant there were some aircraft noise issues until 9:30 PM
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tulsa, OK
Reviewed March 15, 2005

We recently stayed here and had no problems with it at all. The rooms are clean and spacious. It is very close to DFW. The 24 hour shuttle was very convenient. They have great park and fly rates. The service was fine. Can't really expect much from a budget chain hotel, so there shouldn't be much to complain about. Would recommend it if you just want a place to sleep, which is usually the case if you are staying close to DFW.

• Stayed March 2005
7 Thank Laura G
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 22, 2004

I travel at least one week per month. Upon arriving, Matthew at the front desk was dressed in plain clothes, doing homework. No name tag, his shirt looked like he had slept in it, he looked as if he had walked in off the street and went to work, unprofessional. I had to wait on him to finish the portion of his homework before checking in. The room wasn't deodorized and smelled of smoke. For one night it was OK, the park-and-fly rate was good; however, I wouldn't stay here again. I don't ask for much from a Choice brand motel/hotel; however, I do expect the staff to be professionally dressed and paying attention to their job duties and not their classroom duties.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed September 14, 2004

Superb value! Although this is a budget hotel, the experience here is first-class. To start, this hotel is located just outside DFW airport within a quiet, 3-year-old hotel park with properties ranging from a full-service Marriott to a Motel 6, with everything else in-between. As a single female, I felt quite safe in this area. The rooms are well-designed, spotlessly clean, and well-equipped (hair dryer, coffee maker, iron & ironing board, etc.) I particularly like the free Internet access, with a choice of wireless or dataport access. There is a lovely indoor pool, as well as an exercise room with stair master, treadmill, exercycle and TV. Additionally, there's free airport shuttle service and complimentary continental breakfast. Raj Patel, the general manager, is very accommodating and pleasant. Hard to believe you get all this for such a good price. The only amenity it lacks is an on-site restaurant; but there are several delivery options available for dining if one does not have a car. With this one exception, this hotel provides all the essential comforts of a full-service hotel at a much lower rate. I love this place!

6 Thank LynnB_Huntsville_AL
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 28, 2004

We decided to stay one night to recoup from our long flight. Check in was quick, personnel was polite and overall average stay in an average size room, but our wall unit air conditioner was not working properly. It took over an hour for the room to finally cool down.

Great location, although I would not stay there again, I would recommend it to those on limited budgets.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 30, 2004

The Sleep Inn DFW Airport North is spotless, comfortable, and convenient. My park and fly rate was less expensive than a regular rate at several other area hotels. Free airport shuttle, continental breakfast, and the management was friendly, helpful and efficient. A newer hotel, my room was larger than average, with a comfortable bed and nice bathroom. An excellent value for a very reasonable price.

7 Thank allerheather