“The good, and The ugly”

Ranked #4 of 77 Hotels in Irving
dallas,texas
“The good, and The ugly”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

a 61st wedding anniversary "get-away". Hotel was selected because of reviews, amenities and lovely lake location. Check in went fine. Bellman friendly. Room was a king corner suite. Very large and quite lovely.
the view something else.???? On ther 8th floor we looked down on a small portion of lake ?? a very busy street, and unfinished mono-rail system. I mentionedd this to Bellman and he called FrontDesk to e about moving us to a higher floor on the opposite cornr.
front desk said since no rooms were available then, they would move us the next morn. after Housekeeping and check-outs were done. we left everything packed...grabbed some "nighties" and went to sleep. much noise from busy street. I am a verylight sleeper so it bothered me.

next morn I called front desk o check on our "moving. I was assured wewere to be moved to #2111.for us tojust go onto Fort Worths Kimball
Art Museum, ad they would move usand have our new key waiting when we returned.I eagerly looked forward to returning to our "new" room on the 21st floor with a better view. Alas, when we returned, went to Front
Desk to get new key....they looked at me like I had "lost my mind"!!! No one knew anything abut a move, and we were still in ourr original room with our luggage still unpacked>I should have gone to the night Mgr on duty but, instead wasted time and energy with man on duty at front desk. . He needs a lot of PR work.. F iNally found us a room on a higher floor ( which was for the handicapped with the exact same view. as a comp he offered us a drink in the bar !!!! Wasn't that a great comp after "promise broKen" ?????
no possibility of checking out as i had Prepaid for 3 nights.
The lobby is beautiful an very comfortable.
We ate all three nights at the hotel once in the bar area, and twice in the dining room. The bar-food was Minestroni soup. Luki warm.

Two nights in dining room...food was excellent. Nice amibence, looked out onto the "green" and "lake". Very nice waiters and serrvice. Would eat there again.
As far as an Omni Hotel you will never see us again, and I shall te(which happened to be a "handuicappedll all who will listen about "broken promises". sorry, will never return. And, Thanks for a "memorable" 61st anniversary get-away> Mary S

Room Tip: Gett as high as you can. Ask for room ending in "11"
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

It is an older hotel but still in great shape. My room was very comfortable and quiet. I didn't eat in the hotel but the hotel bar was fine for drinks before going out. Close to the Cowboys stadium and Byron Nelson golf tournament . I wish they had free wifi.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Bourbonnais IL
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Wow! This hotel knows how to treat its guests!! I signed up for their preferred program before my stay (for a Conference) and do they ever know how to make a guest feel welcome! I couldn't believe there was a personalized note welcoming me as well as compliementary bottled water; and the name and extension of a person I could contact if I needed anything...each morning I had the choice of a complimentary beverage delivered to my room at a select time. Delicious hot coffee and a small muffin were delivered to my door each day. The iron in the room malfunctioned and when I reported it, their staff took care of it immediately. Service was friendly, atmosphere was welcoming and classy...great feng shui, by the way. Would definitely stay there again. Loved it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kelly R
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I'd like to begin this review by saying that this is my "Go To" hotel in Dallas. My family would always stay here when we were kids and now my mom and I end up in Dallas a couple of times a year for a girls weekend shopping trip.

I would also like to mention that I would stay at this hotel again, but they are in need of a tune up in several areas. 1) My mom and I have short reddish hair, my mom found a long dark hair in the bathroom and I found a pubic hair in my bed, right under neath my pillow. Mistakes happen, but their housemaid service needs to have an eye for detail. Also, our light-up make up mirror looked like it had been ripped from the wall at one point and then put back up incorrectly, too high and the wall paper was ripped.

2) They have buffet style breakfast that in previous stays has been fantastic. Made-to-order omelets, fresh cut fruit, pastries, etc. This time it looked like everything had been skipped over. There were no plates at the start of the buffet line and a poor guy stood there for quite a while patiently waiting for some one to help him. When I went to get an omelette the person wasn't at their command station waiting to go... so I waited, but ended up just getting the pre-made scrambled eggs, the jam jars weren't full, the fresh fruit was minimal and my biggest pet peeve is full beverage glasses... our's were not.Numerous diners were complaining so we weren't the only one's who noticed. Again, this all boils down to attention to detail.

I would suggest the head manager take more of an active role to make sure that all of this staff is paying close attention to detail. This is a fantastic hotel and needs to be every time repeat guests stay in their establishment, not walking away thinking what in the hell happened.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Whitney V
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I actually love the location slightly away from the hustle and bustle. I was looking forward to checking in after speaking with Eric and Daniel the day before they were able to assist me with questions the day before prior to check in. The food is delicious I experienced both the room service and breakfast in the restaurant. Take a walk/jog around the canal it is very relaxing. I can also say I did manage to get a couple of good nights rest.

Let me start by expressing my appreciation for my Jennifer, Casey, Eric and Daniel and Carlos they were very personable, friendly and helpful. As a select guest Mandalay feeling devalued you as a select guest customer because for every positive interaction I experienced with one of the staff member I had several negative experiences for services Omni Hotels and Resorts are renown to delivering with hesitation. Most of my request were met with apprehension.

My experience:

Saturday Afternoon- 3/20/2013

1. Upon check in the bellman brought my bag into the hotel lobby and handed me my bag
• I was not offered to check my bag while I waited for my room to be prepared; I had to ask for assistance.
2. I was told there would be a 45-minute wait for to check-in to my assigned suite because I was being told that was being cleaned. I did not complain – I went and had a cocktail. Jennifer e-mailed me when my room was ready.
• I reported the linens we dirty smelling of colonge and perfurme other than that the suite was spotless -45 minutes later a housekeeper came up and changed the sheets (not the comforter)
3. After a second call to the front desk the housekeeper came back and took the comforter
4. I had to request turndown service- (phone, the TV channel did not work)
• 1 hour and 15 minutes later the housekeeper came back with a clean comforter and bottles water and ice
• I never received a note upon check in from the loyalty ambassador;
o When I did receive a message it was an apology the following day.
Sunday Evening-3/21/2013

After returning to the hotel after a great day at the ballet and dinner. I spoke with Kyle at the front desk and asked if I use my leisure breakfast voucher something off the late night menu because my flight the next morning was at 630a and I would be leaving the hotel 430am to head to meetings in the Northeast.

• Kyle immediately told me (without looking up my profile or room number) he could only assist me with rooms. He does not deal with outlet (e.g. food and beverage)
• Unsettled by this answered… I came back to the front desk and talked to Casey who offered to check and give me a callback. I did receive a call back from food and beverage stating they could make me a sandwich with cold-cut and would leave it at the front desk for me to pick up. This sound great and I told him I was flexible to type of sandwich – Please, no PORK.

Monday Morning-3/22/2013

I called down to the front desk for a bellman and valet to have my car brought around my car around

• Nathaniel told me he could get my car but there was not a bellman available to help me with my bags at 4:30am
• When I inquired about the lunch box left for me by food and beverage, Nathaniel first said there was nothing left for me. As he looked in a closet and drawers. Finally he check the refrigerator and replied he thought -- I was looking for luggage.
• I get to the airport, get on the plane and I open the lunch box and I have a Turkey Sandwich with 5 slices of beacon.

Disappointed by the response I received for very ordinary request from the staff at the Omni Mandalay hospitality team and it was like pulling teeth to get the most basic request fulfilled. The insolence demonstrated by the staff members I encountered made this a most unforgettable experience for me.

Room Tip: Room 2611 had a great view and the furniture was ok. However, I kept wondering were did they find t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank dMoniqueRenee
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Was expecting a nicer more updated room. I was there for my daughters wedding. That we were having nearby. The bathrooms could definitely use a makeover. It is a nice hotel, but not for the price. I don't mind paying the price for a good experience. But in this hotel it lacked.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank deedee062258
The Netherlands
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Visited the hotel for a conference. Was given an upgrade to a suite room which is a very spacious and pleasant corner room with a small balcony. Excellent quality bed and good work desk plus other comfortable furniture. Bathroom good with shower in bath. Airco temperature control was working very well. Restaurant good for breakfast and a comfortable lounge. For the conference everything was done to make the organisers feel at home and all requests were immediately dealt with. Welcome cocktail in the garden which is located next to the water. Good 24 hr gym and a nice pool. Around the hotel are some nice restaurants in walking distance. Location 10 minutes from the airport.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dutch1505
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irving
Downtown Dallas
Omni Dallas Hotel
Omni Dallas Hotel
#5 of 203 in Dallas
Downtown Fort Worth
Omni Fort Worth Hotel
Omni Fort Worth Hotel
#6 of 111 in Fort Worth

Been to Omni Mandalay Hotel at Las Colinas? Share your experiences!