“Really a 3.5 rating”

Candlewood Suites Dallas, Las Colinas
Ranked #49 of 77 Hotels in Irving
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I was preparing for the worst and hoping for the best when I learned my coworker booked this hotel for our week in DFW. The reviews have been pretty bad. But I was pleasantly surprised, as there were only a few annoyances.

The good:

The rooms. They're huge. They're the size of a small one bedroom apartment. And there are nice touches throughout including: plenty of outlets built in to the nightstand, two closets, bathroom storage, and a large work table/dining table that separates the kitchen from the living room. The recent remodel served this property well.

I did not have any problems with noise. I had rooms on either side of me and rooms below and above me. I really didn't hear anything.

The bed was EXTREMELY soft and comfortable. Just like my bed at home.

And the location was great. So many restaurants nearby.

The bad:

Again, like so many hotels in this class, the internet sucks. You can access it fine from 4pm to 6pm, but forget it after that. There are too many people trying to use it. They need to invest in more than one connection for the hotel.

I had one bad experience with one front desk clerk. She refused to help me transfer the confirmation number to my name and to my IHG rewards account. However, I went back down 2 hours later and another staff member was working, who was extremely helpful and got everything switched over correctly.

I also did not like the fitness room/pantry/laundry room combination. It was annoying to have people coming in and out to do their laundry while I was on the treadmill.

The ugly:

The treadmills. They were pretty old. But they were jerky. This could easily turn into a safety issue and then lead to a liability. I really think management needs to have them looked at, or get them replaced.

All in all, it was a good experience. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Meredith R

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I was in the city for business, and my opnion about this hotel is: Noisy. My room air conditioning unit, that you cannot turn off, makes a lot of noise. It was very hot there(July), so I had to tolerate the noise. The housekeeping services happens only on Mondays...You have to stay with trash and dirt linens and towels for a week. Also, you have no privacy. The housekeepers, or someone else who has the room keys, even with the " No service needed"' or No disturb sign on the door, simply opens the door of your room and enter, without let you have time to say no! And, after inform the situation to the manager, the problem occurred again. The commom areas had a string cigar smell, and the carpets was dirty.
I' will not come back!

Room Tip: There's o good rooms there.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Erivan T
Kristie M, Manager at Candlewood Suites Dallas, Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Mr. Erivan T.

Thank you for staying with us during your business trip.
Here at Candlewood Suites- Dallas Las Colinas we strive to accommodate guests with different lodging needs. However please be advised that the reason why the housekeeping takes place on a weekly basis, is due to our extended stay standard that requires that we provide our long term guests with their privacy. Furthermore, we advise guests at check in that they can obtain fresh linen, towels, and supplies on a daily basis at the front desk and or by calling to request it whenever needed. In regards to the A/C unit being too noisy/ loud I believe it is an isolated problem of that A/C unit which could have been fixed should you have contacted the hotel staff to request maintenance to check and fix the problem. As to the incident where the housekeepers went into your room, please accept our apologies, we regret that this took place when you had your ‘Do Not Disturb Sign’.
If you have any questions and or need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me or anyone at the hotel. Once again we appreciate your business.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

As a business traveler I have bounced around to various extended stay hotels in the Las Colinas area trying to find the "homiest" place for the best price. I finally landed on Candlewood Suites in the Las Colinas area. Once I stayed here I haven't changed since. The staff is super friendly, they even store stuff for me over the weekends so I don't have to haul as much back and forth. I do get the one bedroom suite which provides a separate living area with a couch, recliner and large flat screen TV in both the living room and bedroom. I have a full size kitchen with large fridge and stovetop. You would say most places have this now but the rooms have all been upgraded recently and have a luxury feel without a luxury price. Also, it is super clean. Anyone that has to stay in extended stay hotels know that most rooms really show the wear and tear but not this place. Over time it may change obviously but right now it feels like new rooms each time I stay. If I have anything negative to say it's that I did try the gym equipment and both treadmills were in need of overhauling. Also, no pool which in Irving in summer would be really nice. Otherwise I have nothing negative to say.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank aligobs
Reviewed June 19, 2013

There's nothing "wrong" with this small suite hotel - it seemed very new, with decent modern finishes. It's in a good location, close to the freeways and dining and shopping. The queen room was very compact but well organized and equipped for one person on an extended stay. There is only weekly maid service - go to the front desk if you need more towels. There is a full kitchen (with an extremely LOUD, older fridge in my room). As a single business traveller, it suited my needs for the 2 days I was there since my usual place was full. I felt "trapped" in my small room though because the ONLY common area is a 20 x 20 room that held the 4 workout machines, the walk-up computer desk, the "pantry store", the laundry facilities and a tiny 4 seater dinnette. In 2 days - I saw only the front desk person upon check-in (that i had to call on a courtesy phone to come out of the back)...and caught a glimpse of another person walking down the narrow halls.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Kristie M, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites Dallas, Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Thank you for your feed back. If you are ever in the area I hope you will choose the Candlewood Suites again.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I got stranded in Dallas after the recent tornadoes and thunderstorms and by luck, got a room here. It sure beat spending the night in the airport.

The room was tastefully decorated. The bathroom was nicely tiled, the leather recliner was a nice touch, the sofa bed in the living room was comfortable, and the separate master bedroom suite was great. I was also pretty impressed by the size of the washing machine and workout area. If I were staying for a longer period of time, that would have been great.

But I was stuck in a smoking room -- which I didn't even know that hotels had anymore -- and it was nauseating.

Couldn't sleep all night because of the smell even though I had the windows flung completely open.

If you're a smoker, this probably won't be a problem. Everyone else should be SURE they get a non-smoking room.

Room Tip: There are train tracks nearby -- and the trains run all night long with bells ringing at the crosswa...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank wferriter
Kristie M, Manager at Candlewood Suites Dallas, Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you for your feed back; we appreciate the opportunity to clarify the situation. Please understand that at the Candlewood Suites Dallas-Las Colinas we strive to provide every guest with a memorable stay. We recognize that you were checked in to a smoking room. However, please be advised that reservations made in advance through our hotel or hotel central reservations line are guaranteed to satisfy the smoking preference of the traveler. On the other hand, last minute reservation made through a third party reservation site does guarantee the traveler a room at our premises, but does not guarantee the room type available at check in. We regret that you had such a bad experience in the smoking room you were assigned to, but please understand that every effort to accommodate you and all of our other arriving guests were met, on a day when the hotel was 100% to its capacity, due to the Byron Nelson Championship and Comic Con taking place within a 3 mile radius from our hotel, which caused all the hotels in the area to sell out.
We are looking forward to serve you in your future lodging needs, and hope this response will help you understand that we made every effort to accommodate you in your resent stay.
Should you have any questions and or need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact a member of management or a guest service adviser at the hotel.
Thank you for your business.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Compared to other Candlewood Suites, I rated this one inferior.. No manager's reception (there isn't a lobby only a very small room for guests to crowd in to check in. One pack of coffee in the room and was told I would have to pay for more. Enjoy single tea packs that are normally available? there was a charge as well... Business center printer had no paper, when I inquired I was given 5 sheets. I ask for non smoking and didn't get it. No receipt under the door, had to stand in line in the "little cubby hole lobby" to get a copy. While these things may sound petty, they are the little things I enjoy about staying at Candlewood Suites. Area was very nice and there are many hotels adjacent to this one, may be worth checking those out..

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank HHopeItHHelps
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Dallas, Las Colinas, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear knoxville123,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room assignment, and available hotel facilities prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had 3 stays here between August and December 2012. Each move in revealed a consistently meticulously clean studio. Weekly cleaning had the same high standards. I cannot say the same of less expensive extended stay chains. The staff is outstanding. Maintenance requests promptly handled. As a travel nurse, it was everything I needed, 2 miles from Las Colinas Medical Center.

Room Tip: Call the unit directly as far in advance as you are able. Irving Convention Center is less than a ha...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business