“Warning!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ingram
Hunter House Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 3 Ingram B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I don't believe in revenge and malicious bickering, so this review is for one purpose only; to warn good people about a bad place to stay the night. My wife and I booked for three nights at the Hunter House and had realistic expectations for the price. We are tolerant, so were willing to accept it "as-is" in many regards. Okay, so the noisy refrigerator can simply be unplugged and "okay, so the alarm clock went off at 05:40 though we had not set it. Trivial details there, but the real issues are ones relating to public safety.

When the sconce lamp is handing from the cord, this can be a fire hazard, so we simply didn't use it; problem averted. We were told that the house keeper is suppose to notice this (perhaps a handyman should inspect). We were told that some maintenance is needed, so my reply was, "maintenance is scheduled. This is a repair issue and nothing that we should have to inform them of."

BUT, the smell of sewer gasses in the bathroom is another issue. I'm a plumber, so recognized immediately the issue; the toilet bowl wax ring was compromised due to a poor anchoring to the floor. I simply lifted the toilet bowl to confirm my theory to discover that the brass anchor bolts are attached to a rusted iron drain flange. That toilet is held in place by habit only. When I brought this to the attention of the host (if I can call her that), her reply was, "Yes, there is another room with this problem" (not exactly reassuring).

When we checked out, we were so sleep deprived that I found it hard to maintain my usual good manners and especially as the host seamed not one bit concerned that her guest had not had rest for the new day. The air conditioner was so loud that we turned it off and chose to endure the heat instead. My wife, at 2:45 a.m., chose to sleep on the back seat of the car instead. This comment to the "host" was replied with, "you should have told us after the first night and we should have. Our schedule was busy, so informing these people was just another task (damn, I deeply regret that we had not just left then for a well known chain; my mistake).

Really, it isn't up to the guest to make a long list of the repairs needed. This is what a PROUD host should do to insure that their guests return the key with a smile from a good night's rest.

Other issues:
Bathroom door must be body slammed to close due to a sagging door casing, otherwise it will swing all the way open.
dust galore
paint drips
wash towel disintegrated (rotten)
horrible vibration from air conditioner
noisy ice machine near by (I guess the AC is suppose to drown this out?)
bent shower curtain rod
urine stained toilet seat that also lacks "feet" on lid
drywall screws in entry lock fell out when door was opened (no grasp)
stains under vanity sink from leaking p-trap
miserable fluorescent tube over vanity sink (my wife said she looks like a zombie in this light)
alarm clock damaged and fell apart when turned-off
shower has harmonic vibration that sounds like a jet engine

$69+ change is reasonable for a humble inn, but I could not be paid to stay in this joint. The reaction from the "host" was to blame us for not informing them of the issue in advance. Is this our responsibility to tell them what is faulty? I think not, so will urge you to avoid this place at all cost. A tent would be better.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank abzug
Mzoom, Owner at Hunter House Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2011

Not revenge or malicious?

Unfortunately this guest told us about the refrigerator, alarm clock going off, toilet, lamp and bathroom door on the morning of their departure. The other items were never mentioned to us. They stayed with us for three (3) nights with a DND sign on the door and no complaints until they were ready to check out. We have someone available 24 hours. When our office is closed, we have a night manager on call during the night, with a phone number, in case of problems and he was never contacted. These items would have been addressed immediately after their first night either by 1) fixing the problems, 2) relocating them to a different room or 3) refunding them their money so they could leave and find another accommodation. THEY CHOSE NOT TO DO THAT.

We had approximately 80 guests that weekend and everyone turned in their key with a smile and "this is great place" except for one. It is unfortunate that there was one unhappy customer whether it be from unforeseen circumstances or bad karma. One 30 second phone call, "task" as it may be, would have addressed any and all issues immediately. :)

Reviewed August 9, 2010

Hunter House Inn & Suites is highly recommended by many people. It has a reputation as the closest and most convenient inn to the camps and other locations around Hunt, TX. My family has routinely visited this area for many years during the summer months. From what I have been told by several people, Hunter House has historically been a good place to stay.

Unfortunately, my last visit did not live up to expectations. I have stayed at many of the establishments in the Ingram/Kerrville area and compared to them my experience with Hunter House was the worst by far.

Having been built in a traditional style, the rooms are small and sparsely furnished. The small bathroom is unexceptional with a shower head well below 6 ft high. The rooms have outside facing doors and the window-mounted air-conditioner is loud and ineffectual. I did not sleep well, the beds are uncomfortable and the noise pollution from the AC was significant.

Upon waking up from our night there, the person I was travelling with informed me that she had seen several small bugs in her bed that morning and believed them to be bed bugs. Due to the current wave of bed bug infestations we felt it was important to report that fact to the person at the front desk. When informed of what we saw the man told her that they had to fumigate every month and left it at that. I went in to inquire further, and that is when things got interesting.

The man I spoke with told me he had gone to take a look and thought they were "just" ants. He went on to say that they couldn't be held responsible for insects in the room because he "didn't know where she has been" (referring to my roommate) and the fact the rooms have outside-facing doors. Knowing this alone I would never stay at Hunter House again yet the worst was yet to come.

I told him that I felt it was unreasonable for him to deny all responsibility for this problem and he just exploded on me. He began cussing and screaming at me at the top of his lungs, shouting repeatedly that he wanted me to 'GET THE -- OUT OF HERE RIGHT NOW" and violently shaking. This man has a serious anger management issue. He just snapped during the course of a normal conversation due to a simple customer complaint. Knowing this man has access to all the rooms, this place is NOT safe and I would NEVER take my family there again. To me, regardless of everything else that was so mediocre the service was absolutely unacceptable.

Do NOT visit this establishment if you value your health and safety. Unfortunately it is one of the only, if not the only, hotel in Ingram. Thankfully, there are much more comfortable, more professional establishments not far away in the Kerrville area.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TxTraveller78025
Mzoom, Manager at Hunter House Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2010

The first part of his review were never mentioned when he came into the office that morning, but I am going to address his complaints anyways.

Our motel is an older motel and the rooms may not be as large as the newer establishments, but they are still an adequate size and are clean and comfortable. There is plenty of dresser space, desk with chair and also a smaller table with chairs. If these rooms aren't adequate in size, we also have two bedroom suites available.

As far as the air conditioner goes, they are not window mounted. They are the usual in the wall air conditioner units found in all motels. If there was a problem with the noise, he should have contacted the office right away so it could be taken care of. If the desk clerk cannot handle the situation, the owner comes in to take care of it. Anyone who has stayed at Hunter House and has had an a/c problem knows this.

We also have a monthly pest control that services the property. We are aware of the bed bug wave going on, so each comment on bugs gets taken seriously and personally since we are a small mom and pop business. The man came into the office clearly with an attitude, pounding his fists on the counter, stating that there were bed bugs in the room his mother was staying. The owner promptly went into the room and found the bugs NOT TO BE BED BUGS. The woman that was staying in the room never did come into the office. We are located in the country, about a half a block from the river and a cedar yard neighboring our property. We do the best we can to keep bugs out of the rooms, but sometimes it happens. The guest was not happy with the owner's response, started raising his voice louder and decided to tell the other guests around him that we had bed bugs and not to stay here. At that point, the guest was told to leave the property since 1st - his angry behavior and 2nd - he was spreading rumors that we had bed bugs when that was clearly not the case.

We have a great amount of guests that stay with us and 99% of the time they are all happy campers. We know this due to the number of comment cards left when guests leave. Unfortunately it is the 1% that make life miserable. Anyone who owns a business knows this.

Been to Hunter House Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!