I don't believe in revenge and malicious bickering, so this review is for one purpose only; to warn good people about a bad place to stay the night. My wife and I booked for three nights at the Hunter House and had realistic expectations for the price. We are tolerant, so were willing to accept it "as-is" in many regards. Okay, so the noisy refrigerator can simply be unplugged and "okay, so the alarm clock went off at 05:40 though we had not set it. Trivial details there, but the real issues are ones relating to public safety.
When the sconce lamp is handing from the cord, this can be a fire hazard, so we simply didn't use it; problem averted. We were told that the house keeper is suppose to notice this (perhaps a handyman should inspect). We were told that some maintenance is needed, so my reply was, "maintenance is scheduled. This is a repair issue and nothing that we should have to inform them of."
BUT, the smell of sewer gasses in the bathroom is another issue. I'm a plumber, so recognized immediately the issue; the toilet bowl wax ring was compromised due to a poor anchoring to the floor. I simply lifted the toilet bowl to confirm my theory to discover that the brass anchor bolts are attached to a rusted iron drain flange. That toilet is held in place by habit only. When I brought this to the attention of the host (if I can call her that), her reply was, "Yes, there is another room with this problem" (not exactly reassuring).
When we checked out, we were so sleep deprived that I found it hard to maintain my usual good manners and especially as the host seamed not one bit concerned that her guest had not had rest for the new day. The air conditioner was so loud that we turned it off and chose to endure the heat instead. My wife, at 2:45 a.m., chose to sleep on the back seat of the car instead. This comment to the "host" was replied with, "you should have told us after the first night and we should have. Our schedule was busy, so informing these people was just another task (damn, I deeply regret that we had not just left then for a well known chain; my mistake).
Really, it isn't up to the guest to make a long list of the repairs needed. This is what a PROUD host should do to insure that their guests return the key with a smile from a good night's rest.
Bathroom door must be body slammed to close due to a sagging door casing, otherwise it will swing all the way open.
wash towel disintegrated (rotten)
horrible vibration from air conditioner
noisy ice machine near by (I guess the AC is suppose to drown this out?)
bent shower curtain rod
urine stained toilet seat that also lacks "feet" on lid
drywall screws in entry lock fell out when door was opened (no grasp)
stains under vanity sink from leaking p-trap
miserable fluorescent tube over vanity sink (my wife said she looks like a zombie in this light)
alarm clock damaged and fell apart when turned-off
shower has harmonic vibration that sounds like a jet engine
$69+ change is reasonable for a humble inn, but I could not be paid to stay in this joint. The reaction from the "host" was to blame us for not informing them of the issue in advance. Is this our responsibility to tell them what is faulty? I think not, so will urge you to avoid this place at all cost. A tent would be better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Small mom and pop establishment. 24 motel rooms and 16 2 bedroom/1 bath suites. Motel rooms have a small refrigerator, microwave and coffeemaker. Two bedroom suites have fully furnished kitchen with dishwasher, washer and dryer. Daily, weekly, monthly rates. Pets allowed with additional charge. Cafe located on premises. ... more less