“great find”

Marisqueria Los Piratas
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“great find”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We are now living near Macario Gomez Mexico and found this new Seafood and mexican restaurant. The fillet of fish and whole fish was wonderful. Flavorful, tender and cooked just right. Also the mexican stuffed chilies melt in your mouth. I would recommend stopping in and saying Hola!! to Erica and and Ishmal, very friendly and ecellant servers. Barbara and Bill

• Visited February 2014

San Francisco, California
“delicious!”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I stopped here for a late lunch on our way from Tulum. We were hungry, but torn by all the wonderful choices on the menu. In the end, we got a sopa di mariscos, the chile relleno with seafood, and camarones al achiote (apologies for the misspellings). We also got a chaya/ lime juice drink and a melon agua fresca

The dishes tasted as if they were made from the freshest of ingredients, and cooked just for us. The restaurant itself is cheery and colorful, but truly it is the incredible food and the informative and charming Ismael who was there when we were that made it a place I would highly recommend and hope to return to.

And make sure you check out the driftwood boar!

• Visited February 2014
Ajijic, Mexico
“How can a place with such good reviews have been so bad?”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

After reading reviews for this restaurant, we decided it sounded too good to pass up. When we got there, there were just two other people in the restaurant and no sign of the restaurant owner mentioned in other posts. (The date of our visit was January 29.)

The four of us ordered the seafood platter (for 2), whole fish with achiote seasoning cooked in foil, the seafood soup and a vegetable chile relleno, plus two aguas frescos and a soft drink. The bill came to a hefty 1,050 pesos. (Note: no alcohol, which is often a big part of a tab.)

The lobster tail on the platter was dry, cold, and over cooked. The ONLY thing on the platter that arrived hot was the whole fish, which was over cooked. All the vegetables, squid, octopus and shrimp on the platter appeared poorly reheated and previously cooked (like left overs from yesterday's dinner). The chile relleno was cold, while the whole fish was over-cooked. The only thing that was enjoyed was the seafood soup (though I thought the amount of seafood in it appeared skimpy in comparison to what has been described in other reviews).

I live in Mexico so I've been to a lot of restaurants in this country, and I have never paid so much for such a lousy meal.

So how can a place with such good reviews have been so bad? I suspect that the fact that the owner wasn't there may be relevant. But how is an unsuspecting diner to know that this is not the day to dine there? If the owner is to keep the restaurant open at times she is not present, she needs to have a staff there who can dependably deliver the quality of food expected.

Though I have rated this restaurant "poor", to be honest about it, it was pretty terrible. It's not my intent to destroy this restaurant's ranking entirely. The owner needs to provide a consistent level of quality however. Given the excellence that is described in other reviews, perhaps we were just tremendously unlucky in the day and time we chose to eat there.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank msalexg
Staten Island, New York
“A Sweet Cosmpolitan Joint in the Jungle”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

This restaurant, located on the main road from Tulum to Coba in the small town of Macario Gomez, was my beacon during my recent trip to Tulum. In addition to being a landmark - it was blocks from where I stayed in the jungle - it was also the one place outside of my b-n-b that I trusted to eat after having a very bad experience with the food served at a restaurant further inland. The owner, Erica, knew that I was having stomach problems, and made a point to prepare for me a small, simple plate of fish and rice and vegetables - very soothing after a day of tummy troubles. The atmosphere is very relaxed, the clientele from all over. I also had lobster from their kitchen on NYE at my b-n-b, and another fish filet, and both were excellent. My only regret is that I didn't get there sooner during my stay - I would have liked to have tried the whole menu. BYOB

• Visited January 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“AMAZING RESTAURANT truly amazing food!”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

AMAZING!!! We had fresh grouper that her Brother-in-law had caught the day before. THE BEST MEAL I HAVE EVER EATEN!!! No Joke! This place was absolutely amazing. We have dietary restrictions (paleo) and told her we wanted meat and veggies. The plate she came up with was unbelievable, out of this world guacamole, fresh veggie, and a whole Fish done in their newly constructed Pizza oven.
We heard that Erika will be building accommodations for guest to stay? I would love to come back and spend more time with her and her family. She has an absolutely infectious personality and we would love stay with her instead of the cranky owner of La selva Meriposa “luis”
Please post Erika’s Phone and Contact info if you have it! We would love to return and stay with them. AMAZING RESTAURANT truly amazing food!

• Visited December 2013