“Delicious Home Cooking”

Texan Cafe
Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Hutto
Cuisines: Southwestern, Steakhouse
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The Chicken Fried Steak was so large it overlapped the edges of my plate. The batter had the perfect blend of salt & pepper seasoning and the steak itself was fork-tender. Loved it!! My son enjoyed a double patty burger that was so juicy that frankly it needed a firmer bun to contain all the meat and trimmings. My daughter ordered fried pickle slices -- the serving size was very hearty and capable of feeding several hungry patrons. The pies are our weakness and even though our meal entrees fill our tummies to capacity, we happily take home large slices of pies to enjoy later when we return home. Hubby & I indulged in the Elvis Pie: chocolate crust lined with banana slices and filled with peanut butter infused whipped topping.

texancafe, Owner at Texan Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thanks fior your kind words. We do tdry to mix our own breading - make our own dressings and avioid preprocessed food. and create unique pies. I wish we could respond to all reviews ... but dang y'all keep us busy. THANKS

Reviewed April 1, 2013

The food we had was down home, country style and so good! My chicken fried steak was as big as a plate. We enjoyed our meal! The service was excellent! Save room for the homemade PIE! We didn't but we took some to go. We each got a different kind of pie, and thought we made the best choice. You can't go wrong! Choose different kinds and share.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We went with family for lunch on a Thursday and it was packed.we had the Cajun catfish, broiled chicken breast and liver. All was excellent. The sides included fried okra, butter beans, cucumber salad, etc. they also have great cobblers, pies and, well check out their menu on line! I saw fried pickles, baked yams and fried green tomatoes, too. Little town with big food!!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I visited this little cafe in Hutto after he had a craving for chicken fried chicken. This is just a small, yet charming restaurant with its own bakery that is known for their pies. There was a small wait which to me is always a good thing because it means the food is good. We both decided on the Chicken fried chicken which was a juicy, large piece of chicken breast which waw battered in a yummy home made batter. It was smothered in white grave and it came with a really good sweet roll. My sides were mac & cheese & onion rings, the mac & cheese was some of the best I had ever had. I could have a had a huge bowl of that just by itself! The onion rings were equally delicious with a mildly spice batter on them, so good! We also ordered an appetizer of fried mushrooms which were some of the best fried mushrooms I have ever had. You can tell that there were not frozen but big, fresh mushrooms in a home made batter. Our soft drink tasted very watered down which would be my only complaint, next time I will just have the iced tea, We finished our meal with a slice of German Chocolate pie & banana creme pie, the German chocolate pie was to die for! We will defiantly be back to this restaurant in the future to try some other menu items.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I eat here often and the service is great and the food is even better. You just have to try the fried pickles... If you like home cooking you will love the Texan.

Been to Texan Cafe? Share your experiences!