“Yucky and old”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Huntsville
Edna, Texas
“Yucky and old”
Reviewed April 5, 2010

The only good things about this place are that the bathroom had been mostly updated and it offered a separate bedroom nook and TV for our teenager. But the old musty carpet, old bedspreads and weird blue bedsheets made it disgusting. The building is very old and it needs a total overhaul. The hot water was rusty brown, even after running it for a really long time. Only one of the three of us was brave enough to take a shower, and he said the shower-head sprayed water out the side. The room just felt nasty and stale and we couldn't wait to get out of there. Take my advice, spend more and stay somewhere new.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Okie
Reviewed March 6, 2009

The room we reserved was with a queen bed/nonsmoking. For the price, I expected the worst, but the entire room was neat, tidy and quite spacious. Yes, even the bathroom was spotless.

I must agree that the hotel staff are quite welcoming and friendly. This was an unexpected "hidden jewel" on a long journey home.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Pensacola
Reviewed August 11, 2008

We have stayed here twice and would stay again. The room was very clean, bed linens clean and the bathroom appeared to have been renovated latey. Staff very, very friendly and nice.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WaveriderPensacola
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 24, 2008

We checked in at midnight. We called ahead of time to let them know we would be late and they are the friendliest staff. We checked in and walked into our room. Moldy smell from the very beginning. Carried our stuff in and noticed carpet was extremely dirty. Chunks of what appeared to be mud on floor and other junk. Bag of gummy worms dropped next to desk? Bed had plastic over the mattress sticking out and board that supported the beds that stuck out so you tore up your legs if you walked too close. The bed has a kick plate about 5 inches in and if this place was ever vaccumed, they might notice all the junk that is left from one guest to the next. Walked into the bathroom, toliet obviously not scrubbed on the inside for a long time..... Feces around the toliet paper roll. Soo much grime on the tile floor, it made you wonder why they did white with white grout. If you are not going to clean this then choose a dark color so no one knows. Did not take off my shoes the entire time I was there for fear of catching anything. Sheets and towels appeared to be clean. Decided it was too late to check back out, we should just rough it. Told my daughter to pretend you are camping, she stated the bathrooms are cleaner at campgroups. Got ready for bed and left all bags zipped up tight. Woke the next morning after 4 hours sleep and wondered what I could do about this mess. I jumped in the shower and realized the drain did not drain properly, I took less than 5 minutes because I knew my husband and daughter had to take a shower after me because we had appointments to view the college. My daughter had to shower with standing water in the bottom of the tub. She got out and then my husband wanted fix the tub so he would not have to stand in the dirty water. I told him not to clear their messy drain, it was not his job. While he was showering my daughter and I both at the same time saw a cockroach crawl accross the bottom of the TV. That was the final straw. We packed up our stuff and I was going to say something at the front desk but it was crowded and did not want to make a scene, after all the staff had been curteous on the phone and in person and this was not their problem but rather management that obviously 1 does not care or 2 does not check up on their cleaning staff. We checked into the La Quinta next door for $10 more a night and our stay we from a 1 to a 10. Do not stay in the hotel unless you are very desperate. When we tried to book the La Quinta they were booked online, so I thought the econo lodge would suffice. Thank goodness that spaces opened up at the LA Quinta when we needed them the second night.

• Liked — front desk staff
  • Disliked — Dirty
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Huntsville hotels

Europe
Reviewed April 27, 2008

I stay in the econolodge once a year when I visit a friend in the huntsville unit. The staff remembers me and they are very friendly. The bathrooms have been renovated and are clean and easy to shower in. All in all value for money: a good, clean room close to the I45 and the main street in Huntsville. SInce I am from Europe, I have stayed in many hotels in the USA and this one is the best in their value for money range. Keep up the good work!

• Liked — Value for money. A clean room for a good price
  • Disliked — Breakfast was limited
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
texas
Reviewed November 13, 2007

We booked this hotel on Expedia, as it was relatively inexpensive and one of the few hotels not requiring a prepayment. As always with relatively inexpensive hotels, we were a little worried, but hoped for the best.

The daytime hotel staff, on the two occasions I called, were really awesome. I had inadvertently booked for the wrong day and they changed it, no problem. They also said it would not be an issue if I wanted to come in at 4 AM, as I was working till midnight and had a 3 hour drive to get to the hotel.

All of this was fine, but when we drove up the night clerk had put up a sign saying they had stepped out and would be back, and they locked the door. We telephoned and rang the buzzer for forty minutes with no luck, and other people were coming up too trying to check in and out! Finally my partner knocked on the door marked "Private" behind the office area - I guess it is the hotel manager's office? - and after a time a kind gentleman came to the door and he was able to help us. He seemed very surprised and dismayed that the night clerk had disappeared, and he did not know where they were. We'd woken this poor guy up because his employee decided to just vanish on him!

But he was really nice, and very patient - we decided not to pay with our debit card due to a posted policy that it would be charged TWICE for the room and one charge would be eventually dropped - so he waited while I sent my partner for cash so we could pay that way. He was nothing but very nice.

The hotel seems to perhaps be under a remodeling, as there were lots of bits of furniture all over the parking lot and stacked in the tiny office. Our room was scrupulously clean, smelled great, and the bed was clearly brand new - and absolutely huge! A bit too firm, but nothing bad. The other furniture seemed pretty new as well, from what we saw before we just fell into bed, exhausted.

The hotel from the outside looks a bit rough but inside is good and I imagine they'll fix up the outside once they finish the inside! Most of the staff was nice and conscientious - we do wonder whatever happened to that night clerk! - and we liked the cleanliness of our room. Can't speak for breakfast, since we slept through it, but it looked like it would be pretty basic, pastries and coffee maybe.

But the whole business with the night clerk was really awfully annoying. When it is 4 AM and you have worked all day and then drove several hours to get there and they are supposed to have a 24 hour front desk, but the clerk has just up and walked off, that's just not cool at all. No matter how clean the hotel is and how nice the other staff are, the staff being unavailable when they should be is a big strike against it.

• Liked — So very clean, night staff very helpful after their colleague did a runner on them
  • Disliked — Well...no night staff initially at the front desk!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank angeline0608
Oklahoma City
Reviewed January 20, 2005

I stayed at the Huntsville Econo Lodge in September, 2004. I booked it because of the low price, and should have known better. I did not feel safe, and could not bring myself to take a shower--it just did not seem to be clean. Perhaps it was because it was an older hotel. The person at the desk was very helpful. I would not stay there again.

6 Thank travrept