“Nice folks, filthy rooms”
Review of Quality Suites

Quality Suites
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I recently spent 5 nights at this hotel on a business trip. Let me say up front that the staff were all very friendly.
Here's the issue; the place was filthy. I've stayed in hotels all over the world and this ranks down there with one of the worst in terms of cleanliness. I'm not a germaphobe, but other than making my bed each day and replacing the towels, that was pretty much the extent of housekeeping. The sinks, tub and toilet were never touched, the trash was emptied once, and the ice bucket and plastic insert was changed out once. The carpet was never vacuumed during that time as well.
The first morning as I was leaving, I dropped a coffee stir on the floor, and being in a hurry, made a mental note to pick it up when I returned. That night, it was still there, prominently displayed in the middle of the floor, indicating that the floor had not been vacuumed. So I thought I'd try a little experiment and see what would happen if I left it; nothing is what happened!
On my second night there, I still hadn't figured out why the desk lamp wouldn't work, so I asked the desk clerk. Since it was after 5, she said she'd have maintenance look at it first thing in the morning. It was fixed on my fourth night there; too little too late.
They advertise a fitness center. This consists of a small multi-station weight machine, an elliptical machine and 2 treadmills. One treadmill was broken, the other wouldn't hold anything near a constant speed, and I was afraid to try the other two based on the condition of the treadmills.
There were numerous other people that stayed there this week and the comments were all pretty consistent; dirty rooms, towels not being replaced, the list goes on.
Other than the cost of repair of the workout equipment, there is not ONE issue that costs anything other than time to do things properly. There is simply no excuse for a hotel and its management in this day and age to allow this lack of cleanliness and believe that customers would find it acceptable. I do not believe this is a temporary issue either, based on the others comments, and the general condition of the hotel.
I've stayed at four other hotels in Huntsville priced on either side of this one, and they were all better. This is not a good value.
Like my momma used to say, all the soap in the world won't do any good if you don't use it.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel. There are much better values in Huntsville than this one.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Quality Suites

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Stayed overnight in order to take care of some business in town related to the building of a new home. Called for their best price which may or may not be different than what is posted online... I happened to get a reasonable price, so that is a big plus factor in my review.
The room I was assigned was a dual queen with seperate study/living area. Room 217. It has a little kitchen area and a nice sized bath. It would be a great value room for a young family on a road trip. In fact, this level of room is what I think of when remembering soccer trips and overnight pass throughs. Nothing fancy... a little worn- but the basics are there.
Beds are not great nor is the quality of the bedding. Bring your own pillow and throw for comfort. Staff was polite but not perky. The location of the hotel is on the "quiet" side of the freeway in a wooded area... that is a plus factor as far as I am concerned, especially if I had kids using the pool. Safety is a big issue to me when I am traveling solo, and as a woman I felt relatively safe. Looks like the prices are just high enough to keep out the riff raff- helped that there were a bunch of police vehicles in the parking lot. Seemed that there must have been a function in town for some out of town police dept. After all, this IS Huntsville.
My recommendation to the management is to keep the premises as clean as possible and refurb the furniture as needed to warrant the midlevel prices. Everything is fine right now, but there is nearby competition that visibly undercuts CS prices... $39 and $49 rooms at those places. I never stay at a place that cheap when I travel alone, but I would like to see a noticable difference when I pay substantially more, percentagewise, for a room.

Room Tip: For my purposes, I liked the upper floor. There is an elevator and my room was next to a sitting are...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Hotel appeared clean, fairly safe and quiet. We stayed New Year's Eve and did have hot water but the A/C would work properly (if it was summer I would have been really upset), room was mostly clean but upon further inspection there were hairs all over the bathroom floor, dirt in the coners ect....the coffee pot and maker were disgusting and I did not even open the fride so I wonder if something looked clean if they just skipped over it. There was a big and I mean soccer ball size hole in one of the stools. Breakfast was ok I guess but the eggs were like those premade egg patties in a McMuffin (which is fine in a McMuffin). The front desk was nice the housekeeper (breakfast lady) seemed annoyed at even being there. Being Huntsville there is not a big selection to choose from and the reviews all are about the same. We stayed because the room was free. Oh the beds were hardish and the pillows were folded into little squares like a throw pillow you have to untuck them.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Trisha6341
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed here three nights in October. The first day at breakfast there was no hot food, just waffles. The second morning breakfast was ok with eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy. I had to ask for soap because none was in the room and I had to go down to the desk to get it. As I stayed for three nights, I thought my bed would be made but all they did was pull the sheets and spread back up instead of making the bed. My trash was not emptied and the second day when I got back to the room at 4 pm, the room still had not been cleaned. When they did finally clean it, I had to go and ask the lady for a wash cloth and a hand towel as none were left. I would not stay here again even though the front desk people were very nice.

Room Tip: Rooms on west side would be quieter as the hotel fronts I-45.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Comfort Suites in Huntsville, Texas on the 16th of Oct. 2013. We arrived about 8:30 pm and checked in. While checking in I overheard the hotel attendant talking with a guest on the phone, she stated to the guest that there was no hot water due to all the guests taking a bath at the same time. My son in law called about the lack of hot water around 10:30 pm, and was told that there was a problem with the water heater, and it would be repaired in the morning. I took a cool shower at 6:30 am. There was no hot water at all for anybody else. I stayed in this hotel in Oct. of 2011, and it was very nice, but now it has went downhill very badly. When we checked in we went to our room, and found that the sheets had not been changed on the sleeper sofa, we found trash behind the tv stand and night table. Our daughters room across the hall was no better, there was a pair of sole inserts from somebody's shoes under the edge of the bed, and trash behind the dressers and night stand. Being so late at night and having to be to Galveston early the next morning, we did not find a different hotel. I booked this room through AARP travel, and was told they could not refund the money, so we stayed. I will not stay there again, and would not recommend it to anyone else. I forgot to mention, the desk clerk stated that this was her second day at work here, and she was there by herself, doesn't sound like very good OJT. Hope this helps you make a choice on where to stay in Huntsville, Tx.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stay here if you like lukewarm showers. We switched rooms after hearing that the 3rd floor usually has a problem with hot water. 2nd floor was not any better. The drawer in the nightstand was filthy. We reported it to the people at the front desk and it was still dirty after they "cleaned" the room. Sheets had stains on them (gross). They were skimpy with towels and kept saying they don't have any shampoo day after day which was a bummer since we didn't bring any (never had this happen before at other Comfort Suites). The A/C fan couldn't be turned off in the room. Staff seems nice but obviously couldn't fix any of the problems we encountered. Definitely would not stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

When we got to our room the door was not latched closed, the lights were on and there was food in the refrigerator. We were told that the person that had cleaned the room was new and may have overlooked the fridge and stuff. That's kind of understandable and they offered to give us a lower rate for the room which was nice.
When I gave my kids a bath that night and again when I showered the next morning, there was barely lukewarm water. When we told the front desk that there wasn't any hot water they just said "ok thanks". No apology, no "thank you, we'll have that checked". So overall, not the best experience. I would not go to this hotel again.

Stayed: October 2013