“Nice bike riding but limited swimming area”

Huntsville State Park
Ranked #3 of 15 things to do in Huntsville
More attraction details
Owner description: A popular park great for fishing, boating and horseback riding.
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

We had a family outing at Huntsville park to test out our new mountain bikes on the trails. That was a good experience for us but when we went to cool off in the lake my perception of the park changed. The lake was limited to a very small swimming area and it was packed. Hundreds of people trying enjoy themselves in a space where only 50 should have occupied. My wife being a weak swimmer was terrified about half way in and we had to leave. They will probably say the small area is for safety concerns but I would say the events I saw were much more dangerous in that small densely occupied area. So if you like swimming and care less about boating try a different park.

1  Thank tClep
"bird watching"
"rv sites"
"fire ring"

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I went to this state park AUG this year for BBQ Party. The view is great, I like nature like this. 5$ each person, not much expensive. We also had hot pot there. Remember to bring gas stove since it's hard to find a spot with electrical. I saw some people brought canoe there. I'd like play it next time. Fishing is allowed.

1  Thank Xiaodong L
Reviewed September 14, 2013

The trails were real nice for a state park that size. We went on a Friday, so there were not too many people out there. The trees and benches along the trail let you enjoy being out there.

1  Thank f1999308
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

My grandparents started taking us to Huntsville State Park every summer when we were really small. They started going before the screened shelters were even built. But this is a great place to go camping! We've gone the first weekend of August the last two years, and its been really hot! But the swimming hole is awesome, and that is where we spent most of our time! We will continue to bring our little ones here every summer, and hopefully the little ones will bring their little ones! :)

2  Thank CourtDelafuente
See more reviews
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Texas is hot in the summer and the RV park here is my favorite because of the many many trees!

The park is pretty quiet during the week and picks up more on the weekends. Lots of trails to hike, canoeing, horseback riding or just relax for a day or two.

Entrance is not pricey($5.00 per person), but if you have a large family and/or plan to go to other state parks....I would look into buying their park pass for the year ($70). It gets you free entrance and has camping discounts and such.

3  Thank murraymurray_11