“Nice state park”

Huntsville State Park
Ranked #3 of 15 things to do in Huntsville
More attraction details
Owner description: A popular park great for fishing, boating and horseback riding.
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed twice at this park--once on the way to Louisiana and then on the way back. We were in the same campground both times, but in different spots. The sites in the Raven Hill campground are pull throughs, but if you come in after dark it may be hard to tell the actual site from the road as they are all paved and look confusing. Having said that, they were easy to pull into and offer full hookups. You're not too close to the next campsite, but they are not as far apart as some we have stayed at. It's a CCC park with a beautiful lodge. Lake Raven is very pretty, although I had no idea Huntsville had alligators (there are warning signs all through the park). I would stay here again.

2  Thank Silvergirl56

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I recently went camping here with a group of friends. This place is beautiful. You can rent campsites ($20 per night) and shelters ($30) that have a lake view. There is a pier to fish off of, a swimming area when weather permits, and some hiking spots. The park is kept super clean and has restrooms/showers. The park can get booked pretty fast so you might want to reserve in advance. Texas Parks and Wildlife now has an online reservation system (which we used) that makes booking a breeze. Enjoy!

1  Thank zeke h
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The park ranger gave our group a wonderful educational presentation about alligators. She had two 18 mo. old "babies" there and we could "pet" them while she held them.
The lake and the hiking trails were so pretty. Can't believe it is so close to Houston!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was first introduced to Huntsville state Park by my art professor from the area college. I arived before anyoen else that morning and literally had the entire park to myself. I have never been to a more serene place. The lake may be small, but the wild life is abundant. LARGE alligators live in the lake, so DO NOT let your dogs in the water. I've seen some swim right through the swimming area. That being said, I've never been bothered by them when my friends and I have gone swimming there. The water is miraculously still nice and cool even during the hottest months of the year. There is a diving platform right in the middle of the swimming area, It's great fun but man does it get crowded when the park is busy. I'm not one for crowds but I still have fun. The nature trails through the park are very well kept too. While I have not spent the night in this park (yet!) the camping spots are fairly well spread out. The screen shelters are in a nice locations too, most of them are right next to the water. Even the park road into the park is so beautiful you can't help but walk down it. Make sure to check out the cool nature center too. Oh! If you ever get there early enough, the college art classes sometimes meet there. Check out some cool art and nature at the same time :)

2  Thank Kai M
Reviewed January 13, 2013

very nice place Lots of beautiful trees and lov e to listen to the nature there very clean and very accessible

1  Thank Renee M