“Great stay!”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Huntsville
Austin, Texas
“Great stay!”
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay overall with just a few glitches. One, our room was in the 90° range when we first entered. The wall thermostat was not working. But finally got the wall unit to start cooling. When we retuned after dinner, the room had cooled down. And second the pool was green. Had intended on swimming but didn't look too enticing. Breakfast was good and staff was friendly and helpful. Everything was clean and spacious. All in all, we would stay again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JCntex
Sheryl_mgr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear guest, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you letting us know and we hope you are able to stay with us again. Thank You so much

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here while on business trip. Clean spacious room. Good free breakfast. Free wifi. Very friendly staff. Good location in town. Quiet rooms (stayed on 3rd of 4 floors). Little steep on price but a much nicer hotel than what else I've seen in town.

Stayed August 2014
Thank You! for your kind words and staying with us.we hope you are able to stay with us again..

Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I don't know if every room was a large as ours but this is probably one of the biggest rooms I have ever been in. And very quiet. Not a fan of the duvet trend. Wished they just offered a plain old blanket and spread but it is like every other chain. Breakfast was typical of this chain. Staff at the breakfast were very attentive but the pancake machine wasn't working. Check in and out were quick and easy. Could of had better parking.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheryl_mgr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your kinds words,we love hearing that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I do apologize that our pancake machine was not working during your stay and hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again.

Management
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Room and property were clean but had a somewhat disagreeable odor - maybe that's why they are replacing carpets and doing some remodeling. Young lady at front desk engaged in personal cellphone conversation, did not stop to check in customers, and had a snippy attitude. Only other complaint was that I couldn't find a working ice machine. Bathroom was very clean and bed was comfy, typical of HIE chain.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Sheryl_mgr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Guest,
I would like to first apologize for any of my team members that let you down during your stay with us. I will make sure the appropriate actions are taken and Thank you for bringing it to my attention
as well as your kind comments of our hotel and the renovations that we undergoing to make our hotel one that guest love. I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again.
Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

We loved staying at this hotel. It was clean, comfortable, and the food was good. The indoor pool was clean and well taken care of. The staff was pleasant. Conveniently licated to everything we needed.

• Stayed June 2014
Sheryl_mgr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank You !! we appreciate hearing from our guest and it is good to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope you will be able stay with again.

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

This was our first trip to Huntsville. After reading all the reviews I went with my gut feeling and chose this hotel. The front desk personnel were very nice and accommodating. The room was clean and nice. Remember this is not a town with lots of nice places to stay so this was great compared to others we saw. A sign said they were in the process of doing some updating which it does need.
The free breakfast was impressive and the lady that put out the food was so nice. She went out of her way to keep the food hot.
We will definitely choose this hotel the next time we come for a visit.

Stayed July 2014
Sheryl_mgr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words,we appreciate hearing from our guest and are glad to know you enjoyed your stay. we hope you are able stay with us again.
Sincerely Management.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 22, 2014

The hotel itself is nice, comfortable rooms and a great breakfast every morning. Nothing but praise there. And if you're paying out of pocket, no need to read further. If you're traveling on business and expecting reimbursement, read on.
Here's where my nightmare began. I made reservations recently for an upcoming business trip. I took the trouble to call this specific property directly because I had to make reservations at the specific room rate approved by my employer, which sends many people on frequent trips to Huntsville and to stay at this property. When I asked to make a reservation, I was transferred to a second person, not knowing at the time I had been transferred to the Holiday Inn toll-free reservation hotline. I still thought I was talking to someone in Huntsville. I told the person I needed a room for four nights at the approved rate. The woman told me a room with a jacuzzi was available. I asked if it was at the approved rate, and she said yes. At the time I just thought this was the only room available, but I now realize she was trying to sell me on a more expensive room. Figuring I had no other choices, thinking it was at the same price, and certainly not opposed to a jacuzzi (which in the end, I never used), I made the reservation.

Well, my sticker shock came at checkout when I found I had been charged on my credit card for a room that was more than twice the approved rate for a regular room. I was informed that the jacuzzi made the room a suite, and there is indeed an approved rate for suites, which I knew nothing about. I had been charged the state rate for a suite. Imagine getting to explain this to my employer. To make a long story short, they're balking at this bill, and in the end I might end up eating the entire tab for over $550 with no reimbursement. Even if my employer agrees to repay me at their approved rate, I'm still out close to $200 from my own wallet.

The manager and sales manager, to their credit, were sympathetic and were able to take a substantial amount off the bill. I really believe they did as much for me as they could without getting themselves into trouble, and I'm thankful to them. But the fact remains, I'm screwed here. I'm upset that whoever answered the phone in Huntsville passed me on to a toll-free reservations person after I took the time to specifically call this particular property and have someone onsite help me. Furthermore, I don't believe that this reservations clerk was forthright and honest with me. An additional irritant was that she passed me on to a schmarmy timeshare salesman. For my part, I clearly missed several opportunities to avoid this mess at several points, and to make sure this doesn't happen to you, take care to do the following here and, really, at any other hotel you're staying at for buisness:
1. Insist on talking to someone onsite for a reservation, and don't let them transfer you to the corporate reservations hotline. Ask for the manager or sales manager if you need to.
2. Know that they might try to book you into a more expensive room without showing complete honesty about the rate.
3. Ask them to email you a confirmation right away.
4. When you check in, double-check your total right away. I know. How stupid was I to not even do that?
I failed on all these, and I suppose I only have myself to blame, so be careful not to let this happen to you. I think it's pretty sad that a customer has to do all this checking and double-checking because clearly the Holiday Inn folks can't be trusted.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank unclecofie
Sheryl_mgr, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear Guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to respond and would like to invite you to contact the hotel directly to discuss your concerns. I look forward to speaking with you.