Super 8 Humble/Fm 1960/Hwy 59
$118
HIExpress.com
$60
Hotels.com
All reviewshome depotshower headwater pressureroom was clean and comfortableeasy accessairportmicrowavecarpetrates
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Make sure you have your rate in writing or they will not honor it. My check-in took forever as I waited for the 3 parties in front of me to argue with the owner about the rate or a discount that was agreed upon when they called to make the reservation. These owners love to argue, as if it is part of the process!! They don't seem care about repeat business because each group finished their turn with "I will never stay here again!" I had my documentation so I got the rate promised.

Once I finally check-in I found my room to smell very musty as others have reported. My wife found it very repulsive but once I turned on some ventilation I did not smell it again. The management needs to turn on the vent blower for the rooms they know will be used each night, first impression counts. I did find the room to otherwise be clean and the carpet looked new. It was a very large room with two KING beds, I have never seen that before!!

Overall the stay was OK, just be ready to battle for your promised rate!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 15, 2010

I don't mind dingy but this place is disgustingly filthy. Both rooms offered reeked of mold and stale beer. Management was first indifferent then hostile. The 800-number for Super 8 was equally unconcerned. I was told someone would contact me within a couple of days. Never happened. Fair warning if you reserve a room at a Super 8: even if it's filthy, they'll charge your card. Even so, I'd rather sleep in my car.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2010

When I checked in, management was friendly and had me ready to head to my room in about a minute. I got to the room and was surprised. It looked great. The room was large and looked brand new. The sink and bathroom was very nice. Everything worked like it was supposed to. The shower had decent water pressure.

The room was very quiet. I was near the back of the hotel, about three rooms from the end. On the other side of the fence was a very busy train track. Every time I would go out to my truck, I would hear a train very near. But I was not able to hear the train from inside my room.

When it was time to hit the bed, all those other good things couldn't buy me a decent night of sleep. The beds were terrible. They were extremely hard and seemed devoid of the normal layer of padding most mattresses have. You could feel springs under you. I was camping the next couple of nights and slept much better in my tent.

With new beds, this hotel would be an excellent place to stay. There were so many things that were great about this hotel, but having usable beds is so important that I can not give this hotel a good or even average rating.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank MrBigAxe
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We stayed at Super 8 1960, and it was a pretty uneventful stay for most part. The rooms were clean with the basic amnities, the breakfast was standard fare (but fills you up good, so go early) and it's within walking distance to a few eating spots, like Popeyes, Papa Joes and Souper Salad (great lunch buffet). There is also a Pakistani grocery shop selling halal food supplies for Muslim travellers (big plus).

No lift though, so we had to drag our very heavy luggage bags up the steps by ourselves (the motel staff were very discreet to the point of being invisible). The frontdesk people were not very friendly or very helpful but you don't really need to talk to them very much, just grab a map on your way out. Also, depending on who you get, they are not very well-informed either.

Word of caution though: I made the silly mistake of booking another Super 8 in Humble, which was also quite near the airport, and checking into the one at 1960. The receptionist did not alert us and proceeded to check us into their motel and we were charged a no-show fee (USD85) by the other motel. By the time we discovered this, we were already back home halfway across the world. We're still working on trying to get a refund but it doesn't seem very likely.

Apart from that, it would have gotten a better rating if it wasn't for the management.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank gumbokins
Reviewed February 25, 2007

Went to visit family in Houston Feb 23-27 and chose this motel due to its location just north of 1960 and close to everything without getting too close to the big city. The facility is relatively new
(about 3 years old) so there isn't a lot of wear and tear showing yet. Rooms are typical small motel rooms but our non-smoking room came with a king bed, an apt sized fridge, microwave and coffeemaker. Bathroom doors are stained and have granite veneer in the tub area, a nice extra touch. Internet service in rooms is not wireless as we expected but we didn't read carefully. It is high speed but take along your cable like we did. The data port is behind the nightstand with the phone jack which is a little unhandy. Would have been more convenient by the desk but not a big deal. Also, there is a business center in the office area with a desktop available. Workout room is very basic with a nice NordiTrack treadmill and a Life Fitness home gym; no stationary bike as advertised. There is a guest laundry which we did not use. Our rooms had an iron and ironing board. Maid service was good and everything seemed very clean. With our AARP discount, we paid $53 per night. If you're looking for an inexpensive, clean room near Bush Intercontinental, this should do the trick.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank hoosierdaddy