“Just ok - some good, but some issues”

Comfort Suites Humble Houston North
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Humble
Reviewed January 24, 2014

After reviewing several hotels near the Houston Bush International Airport, I finally selected this one based on the reviews. However, after one night there, and being somewhat disappointed (I'll offer details below), I ended up checking out and going to the second choice on my list (Country Inn & Suites, a mile south - and a much better experience for only $14 a night more). I checked out because although I could connect easily to their internet (they have 5 different nodes, so you are assured a good connection with lots of bandwidth), I discovered to my dismay that I could not send nor receive emails (devastating for a business traveler)! I have only encountered that one other time in the past three years. When I went to Country Inn & Suites to test it out in their lobby (with their permission and access code), email worked flawlessly, as usual - so it wasn't my computer.

Now for some details.

PRO
- The free breakfast was good fare, which is quite typical anymore in this type hotel. Eggs, meat, wafflemaker, and the usual assortments of "Continental" stuff.
- The bed was extremely comfortable, and they had two different pillows to choose from
- The staff were absolutely marvelous. In my haste to check out during lunch (and check in elsewhere), I left a shirt on a hanger. I called the next morning and was able to dash in, get it & get to my meetings. [ I would have rated this a "2" but for the staff. ]
- Close to some decent eating establishments to the southeast

CON
- The aforementioned problems the hotel had with email service - the instantaneous deciding factor in my relocation
- Wear & Tear: for $110/night, I expect better than bleach-stained hall carpets, bashed up walls and doors, unraveling throw rug in the only elevator. Where has the maintenance budget been spent?
- Tiny breakfast dining area - only about six tables in an area about half the size of a hotel room?
- Temperature control on the unit (not a thermostat on the wall, which usually controls more evenly) - and no digital readout, just a knob and my best guess as to where to set it for the night. I slept poorly - never waking enough to actually get up and adjust the temperature dowward, but enough to remember in the morning. Unfortunately this offest the very comfortable bed. Maybe it was just me....

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed January 24, 2014

The woman at the front desk was very courteous and accommodating. The room (double queen) was spacious and the bedding was very comfortable. The room was clean, but the hotel is in need of updating. The lobby and room furnishings are very dated. I had a good stay and was very comfortable. If you are expecting bells and whistles, this won't be the place for you . . . but you will get comfort, large rooms, and a very sound night's sleep if you pick this location. P.S. Someone at the front still tells guests to "come down and get them" if you request extra towels or blankets at night.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I commute to Houston for work and stay on average 4-5 nights a week. I've stayed in several hotels in the Houston area before I found a this hotel and decided to make it my home away from home. The appearance and cleanliness of the hotel jumped out immediately (recently remodeled) and the staff is very friendly. The rooms are large with nice beds, pillows, tons of outlets, nice TV, fridge and microwave. The work out room is nice but the hotel even offers complimentary passes to the local Golds Gym!

The management is extremely professional and accommodating. Several times a night they have a manager's special in the evening where food and drinks are served. Room pricing is very reasonable. I'm a "road warrior" and have stayed in a lot of hotels so if you are in the North Houston area would highly recommend staying here.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Was visiting relatives during the holidays, this hotel was close by so stopped in to see about renting a room for the nite. we were shown a room and we decided to stay for a couple nites.The rooms are clean and all the staff from the young girl who checked us in and the cleaning staff were all very helpful .It was nice to start our busy day off with the hot breakfast provided that next morning. Every time we left or returned to the hotel we were greeted as though we always stayed there, a comforting feeling when your from out of state. If your ever in the Kingwood Texas area I recommend this hotel you wont be dispointed.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I have been staying here on average 3 nights a week since June of 2013 for buisness. Originally I picked this hotel due to location from work which is about 2 miles away but have quickly come to enjoy staying here. Staff is very curtious and has always greeted me with a smile. My rooms have always been neat and clean. The bedding and pillows are very comfortable. Breakfast served in the morning with good selections is a plus. Room pricing is very reasonable. If in the Kingwood/Humble area would highly recommend staying here.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

This was a nice hotel. New, nice beds, pillows, amenities. They even had tons of outlets, nice TV, fridge microwave.. Maybe it was the night we stayed there..New Year's Eve..but the service wasn't great. There was no bedding for the pull out sofa. I called down and asked for some and was curtly told I could come down and get it..uh ok..then when I went down there, there were no sheets for the mattress. She did give me two blankets, but I thought that was odd. I double checked and said..you have no sheets and was just given the answer no, no explanation.
The tub looked like it hadn't ben thoroughly cleaned. the rate was very competitive- we had a group rate. There is a hot breakfast with eggs and biscuits. So this is a very mixed review as I said at the beginning..I think the bottom line is that they may have had a skeleton crew and the service suffered. I'll probably pick LaQuinta next time

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Visha_8, General Manager at Comfort Suites Humble Houston North, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

I want to thank you for choosing our hotel and staying with us! We know you have a choice in when you want to stay and are glad you choose Comfort Suites!
I want to apologize on behalf of my staff member. I am disappointed to hear my staff member spoke to you like that... We have sheets in ALL of our rooms for the sleeper sofa in the bottom drawer in the television stand. The reason we do not keep the beds made is because it causes confusion to our guests as to whether they are used or unused. I will go over all detailed information about guest suites with all of my staff family once again. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please trust me when I say we pride ourselves in the best customer service a hotel can offer.

On the other hand, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel breakfast and other amenities.
Please know that we appreciate all of our guest and hope to see you again in the future. Thank you.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stayed 4 nights at this location. Nice management and employees, very friendly. They seemed to care about providing great service. Rooms were very nice and clean. Breakfast was fine, alot of variety to choose from and plenty of coffee, that was good for us. Only complaint I would have is that someone walked with a heavy foot on the floor above us but not enough for us to complain to the manager, they seemed to calm down after awhile. Would most likely consider staying there again if the price is right.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family