“Lovely respite!”

Mercer Arboretum & Botanic Gardens
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Humble
Reviewed March 7, 2014

What a charming experience we had touring the Mercer Arboretum and Gardens. In early spring the blossoms are popping with color. Plants and trees are well identified, including native and endangered species. The trails are delightful and gentle for walkers of all abilities. Water features are beautiful. Maybe you will be lucky enough to meet the families of turtles that grace logs in the ponds! This attraction is free, as well as the larger park to the east which has more extensive trails, picnic benches and playground equipment for children.

1  Thank RoseMarie8787
"great place to visit"
in 5 reviews
"no charge"

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I had some time to kill before a flight so I stopped by the garden around 2:30 pm on a Wednesday. There were only a few people at the garden at it was the off season. However, it was still very enjoyable. The pathways were well marked and so were the plants. Loved the bamboo forest. I would love to come back in the Spring. I could imagine it would be a paradise. Great way to enjoy the outdoors.

Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

We went for a visit thinking it would be a great place for our toddler to walk some of his energy off. He loves flowers, trees, plants, and walking on trails and bridges.

They did have trails & some water features, but their kiosk maps are outdated by a few years (the kiosk maps showed a butterfly house, but when we asked about it, the woman at the info desk said it had been gone for a couple of years) so if you are new there, it isn't easy to navigate. The paper maps that they hand out don't match up to what is there, either as much of the area is under construction.

While there, my son picked up a flag that was discarded on the ground. A man who said he was the Director said it was their flagging & they needed it for directing their maintenance crew. When I took it from my son and handed it back, the man didn't say "Thank you." Instead he told us, "We like our grounds and if you ever come back here, you need to watch him better." My son didn't do anything wrong, but this guy had decided to blame him for a misplaced flag.

To make matters worse, he started following us around the grounds. At one point, my toddler (not quite 2 years old) took one step off the trail into the grass. I told him, "Uh oh, not there, back on the trail" and he got back on the trail. Then the guy who claimed to be the Director went off about how much they do to maintain the trails on a low budget & told us we were being disrespectful. And he kept walking towards us talking loudly. I told him that I beg to differ, that my son is just a toddler and will make small mistakes, but that he listens to us & we are always near by to watch him. That's when the guy said that we shouldn't bring him there if we can't "make him" stay on the trail. He kept walking towards us berating us, judging our child, etc, so we booked it out of there. It was getting to the point of being scary.

We felt not just unwelcome there, but were greeted with open hostility. It tainted the whole experience for us and the family we were with that day.

We did go across the street to the less manicured trails for a few minutes, and without someone hounding us, that was much nicer. Still, I can't in good conscience recommend this place to families with young or curious children. I was hoping for a nice relaxed outdoor time with family I don't see often, but instead it was a terrible experience for everyone in our little group.

10  Thank Jon J
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We found this lovely paradise while spending an afternoon in northern Houston. There were many spots to just sit and enjoy the gardens and read a book. Many little groups taking photographs (weddings, proms, etc), but that did not detract from the experience. Loved the bamboo garden area.

1  Thank Frank-Staunton-VA