“One night stopover before the cruise”

Hilton Houston North
Ranked #71 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Alberta
“One night stopover before the cruise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed at the Hilton Houston for the night before our cruise on Feb 16, 2013. Airport shuttle was prompt and super convenient. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Lobby and public areas were beautiful but our room was a bit dated and needed some TLC. Very clean, nice set up, comfy bed but had chipped ceramic in the tub, torn shower curtain in the bathroom, gouges in the wall. Also, hallway noise was very pronounced, felt like people were walking into our room as they would walk by. Enjoyed a couple of drinks in the lobby lounge at night and had a great breakfast at the restaurant before we checked out. Overall, a nice hotel - would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Tecumseh, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night for business. I had a lot of work to do while here and the staff was able to assist me more than I thought possible.

I had a bunch of documents to print, sign, and fax during my stay. I was dismayed upon check in that the printer in the business center was low on ink. I figured I would have some dinner and try again in the morning. The next morning, it was the same story. When I complained to the front desk, the manager gave me his card and told me to email the documents to him and he would print them on his printer. This went on several times, printing/signing/faxing documents. The manager did this multiple times for me without complaint. I was very impressed with his professionalism and understanding.

The dinner was overpriced for the quality of the food in the Vino Restaurant, but breakfast in the hotel was excellent. I don't recommend Vino's. The night I was there is was crowded and loud and not worth the money. Breakfast in the hotel lobby was reasonable. I did not choose the buffet and instead, ordered off the menu. My breakfast was outstanding, no complaints.

The rooms are your standard Hilton rooms. Very comfortable. The internet is free for Hilton Honors members, but it's nothing to write home about. I was able to stream Netflix, but just barely. If you're not a Hilton Honor's member, I wouldn't pay the $10 for it...

The staff really make the difference at this hotel. Every employee I ran into was polite and courteous. This is a good hotel, but the staff make it exceptional.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
jpaduano, Director of Sales at Hilton Houston North, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Jason K,

Thank you so much for your glowing review on our hotel. We really appreciate your letting Tripadvisor and other travelors know about your experience at our hotel.

I will certainly pass on your kind word about the Front Office Manager's assistance in getting your printing and copies completed.

I do apologize for the loudness and crowded conditions in Vino. Being a fairly large hotel, we do have large group conventions in and they can get very busy in there.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to jot down your comments on our hotel.
Seamill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton North for two nights 1st and 2nd February 2013 and again for one night on 10th February 2013. The welcome we got was friendly and warming and the staff showed that they really appreciated us staying them. All the staff were the same during our whole time.
The food in the Cafe and the Vino Restauarant was outstanding with fabulous steaks and out of this world service.
The rooms were spacious with comfortable beds and also very quiet.
Our bonus was to make use of the Hilton Honors Executive Lounge where we enjoyed an excellent Continental Breakfast which included nice cold cuts served by a true Hilton Ambassador lady called Gail who went out of her way to make you feel welcome.
Hilton North your team are fantastic. Will be back soon

Room Tip: Ask for a room above tenth floor which are much brighter
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian F
jpaduano, Director of Sales at Hilton Houston North, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Brian F,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel. I have already passed along your kind remarks about our Guest Service, Vino and Cafe team members.

Hope to see you again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

A large hotel with some significant convention space. My room was large, very nicely furnished, quite comfortable and had a fantastic bed with a Pacific Coast Feather Company comforter. Airport close and convenient to many of the businesses in the area but the neighborhood might be a bit shady at night. However during the day I found a nice path along a creek that allowed for some outdoor exercise and February seems a nice time in Houston, not cold like the rest of the country and hot too humid yet.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

My preferred hotel brand is Hilton. I picked this property due to its location for my activities while in the Houston area, proximity to IAH, free parking with security presence, and easy on-off access to Beltway 8 and I-45. The property is attractive and clean; the rooms appear to be recently refurbished or very well maintained. The flat screen TVs have HD content and also the ability to change the input source so I was able to use my HDMI cable and connect my laptop to play DVDs to the TV. This is a big plus as the majority of hotels lock this feature out to drive their guests to revenue producing content. The Executive lounge is functional but institutional, as is the food and beverage offerings. The hotel staff is friendly and accommodating but I found the property to be understaffed. My stay was for four days and I came and went an average of four times throughout the day. Each time I drove through the main entrance and dropped my wife off before parking and not once was there a staff person greeting or assisting arrivals or departures. I also had three occasions to contact the front desk for assistance. Once connected, I was placed on hold for over five minutes each time and I once hung up after 7 minutes; I believe this is due to the staffing levels, not the performance of the staff members. The only negative is the property only has Wi-Fi and the performance is very unreliable. One minute you have a decent band width then suddenly you are creeping or are dropped and logging back in is time consuming; this negated the ability to participate in scheduled go-to meetings and stream content as part of my business need. I travel with a mini router that I use to create my own reliable short-range Wi-Fi when a wired network connection is available which, unfortunately, this property did not have in the guestrooms. Overall, I do recommend this property and will not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
jpaduano, Director of Sales at Hilton Houston North, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Hello SteveHOU

Thank you very much for your recent review of our hotel. We are very glad that you enjoyed our hotel and will come back next time you are in Houston.

I did want to address your comment about being able to reach the Front Desk. I am sorry you had to wait 5+ minutes each time you called the desk. I have shared your comments with our Front Office/Guest Services team leaders and they are addressing it. They did ask me to see if I could find out from you the date and time of the on hold wait. That way they can narrow the problem down. If you have a moment to write and let me know, my address is jerry.paduano@interstatehotels.com.

One last thing on your comment about our WiFi. We use ATT and it is generally fast. Sometimes there is another WiFi that bleeds over from the surrounding office buildings. So our high rise picks up that signal from other towers vs the ATT signal. That is what causes the wide flutcuation in the reception that you experienced. Next time you come back, be sure your laptop/phone/ipad shows ATT as the wireless provider.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to respond back to us. That is the best way for us to make improvements for you and all of our guests.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

we spent the night of dec. 30 here on our way to puerto vallarta the next morning. the free shuttle from & to the airport was very good they even gave us water and going to the hotel a bit about houston this was our first time there.
its a huge hotel.check in was a breeze and the staff were very friendly.room we asked for a smoking room and got it.bed was like sleeping on a cloud.we went out for supper and they got us a cab.after supper we went to their bar and watched the football game once again the bartender was great.ordered room service for breakfast and it was awsome.for what we paid
$83.00 you cant beat this hotel.yes there is really nothing around there bot there are great resturants just a short cab ride away.next time in houston we are staying here

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bigedd47
Dawson Creek, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

this hotel is a fair way from the airport, so budget your time accordingly if you are travelling at busy times. The lobby is gargantuan, but gives the impression of an aircraft hangar trying to look like the inside of the savoy. everything is on texan scale. other properties nearby. minimal recognition of hilton diamond status and the executive lounge was rather spartan. compared to other hotels by IAH airport the price was steeper than expected. food in the restaurant was not bad.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear frater93,

Thanks so much for taking the time to give a review of our hotel. We appreciate both your good and not so good comments as that is how we improve.

You were very close in your assessment of our lobby! It was actually modeled after a London train station. As the story goes, the wife of the designer/builder of the hotel loved that station.

On the cost comparison of our hotel, I obviously don't know the hotels you were comparing us to. I can tell you that the published (online) price of our hotel is tied for the lowest of the 6 full service upscale hotels in the IAH/Greenspoint District.

I am very sorry we failed to recognize your Diamond status while you were here. We check our reservations every morning to make sure our Diamond members are highlighted and recognized whenever possible throughout the hotel. Somehow we failed with you and I apoligize for that.

Thanks for staying with us and I hope you can give us another chance to have you as our guest the next time your are in Houston.