“From Poor to Excellent”

Ranked #74 of 510 Hotels in Houston
Midwest
“From Poor to Excellent”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Prior to my stay, I had emailed the Hilton Houston North rep who generally responds to the comments on this thread with some general questions. Over two weeks later, I still had not received a response and phoned the hotel.

Since we were checking in on January 1, I wanted to know if the Exec Lounge and/or the restaurant would be open, I also had questions about the hotel shuttle to/from the airport. A Front Desk rep picked up the call and put me on hold for over 10 minutes when I finally hung up. The next day I called again. The rep was less than pleasant and sounded annoyed with my questions. And so, my expectations for this hotel were low.

Upon arrival at IAH, I called the hotel again. This time, the Front Desk rep gave me precise instructions on where to catch the shuttle and when to expect it. At check-in, the same rep (Matt) was cheerful and friendly. I had booked a suite and jokingly mentioned that the Presidential Suite would be nice. Matt checked and told me that it was mine.

Matt told us the Exec Lounge was open, but unfortunately, it wasn't. He then gave us one coupon per person for a free appetizer at Vino. We were planning on having dinner anyway, so the coupons came in handy. In addition to the appetizers, we also ordered some entrees. The salt and pepper shrimp salad was my favorite, along with the seared tuna appetizer.

The next morning we tried to enter the Exec Lounge for breakfast and again it was closed. The Front Desk gave us each a breakfast coupon, and we ended up with a substantially more hearty breakfast than what we would have had in the Lounge.

Since we were expecting a quick breakfast in the Lounge, we were running late when we got to the restaurant. The breakfast server gave us some carry-out containers so that we could eat on the shuttle to the airport.

The shuttle service was prompt and efficient. If I were to ever transit through IAH again, I will be back at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
jpaduano, Director of Sales at Hilton Houston North, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Hello Bamboola! Thank you for your review of our hotel. I want to start out by apologizing for the problem you had when trying to contact the hotel for information prior to your stay. There is no excuse for that. I did want to tell you that we are actually going to use your review as a training topic. In fact, two topics. First is for all the PBX Operators & Front Desk Agents on how important it is to take care of not just the guests in front of you but also those on the phone. Second is how to recover from a mistake like Matt did with you.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to tell us and everyone on Tripadvisor about your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Canada
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Room was a great rate, included internet, appies and continental breakfast. I would have rated this hotel higher, but we froze! Heater in room just blew cold air, and never warmed up. Thankfully, theny had an extra blanket in the room. Felt like the hotel was empty...has a massive lobby. Starbucks was closed. Shuttle service was great also.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello itravel1967!

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and would return once again in the future. We also want to apologize for the cold air in your room heater. Since we don't know your name, there is no way for us to track what room you stayed in. We also don't know if you called for assistance with the problem or not. If you did not, please remember to always call in any hotel. We would have been glad to move you to another room if we couldn't fix the problem for you.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us.
BuffettAir
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This Hilton stands tall with a grand building and HUGE lobby complete with Starbucks, business center, and restaurant. Rooms are spacious, modern, and have all the amenities for a complete stay. My oversized room had a separate living area, much like the layout of an Embassy Suite. The staff and management went out of their way to say hello and welcome to their hotel - thank you Mgr Gino for an outstanding stay and I look forward to returning very soon. Your property sets the Hilton standard very high.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Grosmont, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Overall, this is a good Hilton, well situated near the Airport, with ample parking, but not without its faults.

The rooms are upto the standard that one would expect for Hilton, but the executive lounge was below the normal standard, as the drinks were covered by an honesty bar, rather than a free happy hour, and there was no computer facilities in the executive lounge.

The computer facilities downstairs were not really up to scratch either.

The front reception staff could be better customer focussed too.

Breakfast in the main restaurant was good also.

Room Tip: Rooms not overlooking the front carpark are better.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cwyfan
Hello kmcattrell!

Thanks for taking the time to submit a review and we are glad you enjoyed our hotel even though we did fail you in a couple of ways. I am sorry our Concierge Lounge does not have a complimentary bar in the evening. Hilton gives the hotels the option of doing the Honor Bar or going free. Many charge and many do not.

Based on your suggestion, we are looking into the possibility of putting in a computer into the lounge.

Our complimentary Business Center is not run by us but an outside company. We will share your feedback with them. They do upgrades to the equipment periodically.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to fill out a review on our hotel. We hope to see you again in the future.
Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

This is the first time in a Hilton property. Lets start with the hotel itself. The lobby is huge! A Starbucks, cafe etc... A great place to meet with friends or even people watch. The front desk staff is great. Friendly, professional, dressed well. Very polite and helpful. They gave me exactly what I asked for even though I don't frequent Hilton's. the rooms are very clean and updated with nice linens and flat screen tv's. Even a in room safe which I think is important. I did have room service one night. Even though the price was very high the food was great. Overall I was very pleased with my stay for a week. The hotel is centrally located. Right next to the interstate, airport, and activities. However the location is not in the best area. Very sketchy at times. That would be the only drawback about this property. I would stay in this property again.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Cswhite1979
Patchogue, New York
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This hotel was clean, staffed with incredibly friendly people, and had great food at the restaurants. The executive lounge is the best that I've ever been in, with a fantastic coffee machine that made anything from a regular cup, to cappucino, to lattes. The food was fresh, the lounge was actually staffed (which is definitely what made it tremendously better than other lounges I've been in), and they had a manager's reception that we were invited to that had outstanding food and drinks. We would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Zug, Switzerland
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised at the Hilton North Houston. The outside of the hotel looks different and attractive. The rooms are really great, comfortable and quiet as well (an interesting approach with the separated seating area). The price for the stay is a bargain. The gym is functional. However during the weekend the food options in the hotel and that neighborhood are limited. Overall I had a great stay at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business