“A great stay with just one major problem”

Hilton Houston North
Ranked #71 of 504 Hotels in Houston
lombard,IL
“A great stay with just one major problem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

This is a great hotel. The lobby is just like the old time Hilton so open and elegant. The room was great. The beds were great so comfy. TV is okay not alot of channels but enough. I am a diamond member so the lounge was very nice for breakfast and dinner however I wish for breakfast they would have some hot items. Now for the problem, I was traveling for business and got lost going to the hotel. I was driving for over an hour and I was alone it was getting dark and I got very scared. I called the hotel for help and a man came on the phone. I explained what was going on and I was very scared,please help me. He said I was going in the right direction and was only about 3 miles away. I asked him to please stay on the phone with me until I could see the hotel and he told me NO...........I have other customers and hung up on me. I couldnt understand how this happened. I am sure if he had explained this to the customers they would have understood and he could have stayed on the phone with me for 5 more minutes. When I got to the hotel the front desk was wonderful. I was shaking...........They offered me a drink and whatever I wanted. At that point I wanted nothing but to get to my room. They called my room about 5 minutes after I got into it and offered to buy me dinner. I thanked them but was not in the mood to eat and needed to calm myself down. The man who hung up on me called to say sorry, but that just didnt cut it with me. Had this been his mother, sister etc how would he have felt having the same thing happen to them. I will keep coming back to this hotel because of the front desk and how nice they were to me when I got there. I really hope they put something in place to keep this from anyone else having to go through this. As a woman traveling alone I count on the hotel for help, not to be hung up on.

Room Tip: Make sure you know where you are going so you do not get lost and hung up on.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

This Hilton was a pleasant surprise for my one-night layover in Houston! The lobby is so large it is broken into sections and includes a Starbuck's cart, although Hilton coffee is good enough, I didn't even use it. I got upgraded to a Junior Suite (status and a slow night came together) and so had a HUGE room. This hotel has to have been pretty recently renovated as all the furniture, from the lobby to the rooms was in good shape! The fitness room will do - multiple elliptical machines and treadmills, along with free weights and a 4-station weighted workout system. It did only have one bike which was surprising. The pool area is great! It is outside, but the size of the pool is quite good by hotel standards and has quite a nice and good-sized seating area. I also went to the Wine Bar, Vino's, for some wine and food. Food was great... I had the shrimp/avocado tostada (yum), but not much of a wine selection for being a wine bar. My only other complaint, and the reason this property didn't get a "Fab 5" rating has to do with the shuttle service. Not only is it not clear on their site that it runs every half an hour (from the shuttle/bus area of baggage claim). I had to call to find that out. They also need to run more shuttles during high traffic times. The next morning, there had to be 40 of us ready to take the 7AM shuttle to the airport... no way their van was going to fit that, so any number of us ended up in cabs. There's also no sign up list to make sure they have room and/or staff to handle the load (I tried to sign up when I checked in and again at the concierge stand.) All this happening with next to no help from the concierge, who was already on duty. Other than this, a great stay and I hope to have a chance to stay again soon!

Room Tip: Large property with 16 floors. I was on the 16th floor, on the highway side and did not find there...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
jpaduano, Director of Sales at Hilton Houston North, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for sharing your valuable review. It is fantastic to hear you were pleased with your room. As well as submitting your detailed review of the property, especially with regards to our shuttle service. Feedback such as this is valued and will be taken into consideration, as we are always striving to maintain a high level of excellence. We would like to welcome you back soon.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for three nights for a conference. The hotel is lovely, staff was very friendly and food was delicious. There was not a lot to get to in the immediate area but shuttle was very covenient to use within a three mile radius.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your kind review. It is fantastic to hear you were pleased with our hotel. We look forward to your next visit to our hotel!
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Well maintained hotel. Nice rooms and courteous staff. Area is decent and improving and pretty close to airport and great hey access. Fitness center has weights and 7 pieces of cardi. Nice. 2nd time staying here would recommend. Starbucks in Libby

• Stayed August 2012
Carol Stream, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

I just stayed last week for a 3 day conference. I thought that the hotel was in great condition (did they just renovate??). My room was at the very end of the hallway so it was a walk but, it was a nice size and decorated nicely. I did not like that there wasn't an in room safe for my laptop though. The meeting space was very nice, however it was FREEZING. I actually had part of the tablecloth wrapped around me to try and stay warm. The shuttle drivers were super nice and willing to take you where you wanted to go. I also liked the airport shuttle being every 30 minutes. The staff was very friendly. I ate in Vino on the first night and my server Angie was great. The banquet food was the only real down side...it was terrible (taste, presentation, timliness...just everything). The housekeeping in my room wasn't that great either but, it was not as evidient as the food.

Sandy, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

I had a wonderful time at the Hilton hotel while in town on business. The hotel shuttle from the airport was clean and new. On my way to the property, the driver was very nice and was able to not only offer his advise on places to eat, but he also promised to wait for us to check in then drive us over to the restaurant.
Once inside the hotel, we were warmly welcomed by the staff, and given a bottle of water. I'm not sure if that is standard practice, but was a very nice touch. The front desk agent was equally as accomodating, and very polite.
My room for the three days I was there, was spacious, clean and comfortable. The only slight complaint was the airconditioner seemed to struggle to maintain the coolness, but given how hot it is in Houston, I am not surprised. The internet was very fast and my signal very strong.
One evening, I hit up the pool just before dinner, and found it all to myself. The pool and fitness areas were in excellent shape.
I would have no problems at all returning to this hotel!

Lexington, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

As a business traveler, I expect the staff to be helpful and professional. The front desk staff at this Hilton was neither.

At my recent stay, I was unable to get the front desk staff to assist me in having a package shipped out from the hotel. It has now been over a week since my stay ended and the package is (apparently) still sitting in Houston! When I called the desk (again) about it, I was told they could do nothing for me. I needed it on my next trip, scheduled the pickup with FedEx, and when they arrived the staff did not give them the package. So I scheduled a second pickup - still no package. At this point, I have no idea where the package is or how to have it returned to me. I expect better of a Hilton staff!

Furthermore, the business center was completely down (no internet, no toner) when I was there and with no free internet anywhere in the hotel, I was forced to try to resolve this issue purely with the internet on my phone. I was exceptionally frustrated with how the front desk staff handled this situation and continue to be unimpressed with them as I try to resolve this issue from another state.

If you are traveling for business, I highly recommend you avoid this hotel. As a frequent business traveler, I expect to be treated courteously and I expect the staff to be helpful. I received neither at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business