“Great hotel in a bad area of town”

Hilton Houston North
Ranked #91 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel twice. Once in Sept. 2010 and once in Feb 2011. I used to hotel pool when I stayed in Sept. Yeah it's still hot in Houston in Sept. The pool is really cool. It is located on the roof of the smaller building. Not crowded at all. A few other people came out from sporadically but there was no more than 1 other person in the pool at any time. The lobby of this hotel is really nice. And the rooms are nice too. Everything about this hotel is pretty good except for the area of town. Greenspoint is a bad area, but the parking lot is being patrolled by a security guard and I have never had any incidents in the area. FREEE PARKING!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
jpaduano, Director of Sales at Hilton Houston North, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2011

I would first like to thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. It sounds like you are a repeat customer, so thank you for that too. You did make a comment about us being in a bad area. That was certainly true about 15 -18 years ago. However, today the Greenspoint area is no more safe or dangerous than any other area in Houston. In fact, our area recently won an award from the Texas Crime Prevention Association for crime reduction. Since the mid-nineties, our crime rate has decreased 42% even though our population has increased by 48%. The only nagging problem this area has is with auto break-ins. Something that plagues every airport hotel in every big city across the country. As the Greenspoint/Airport area has over 10,000 hotel rooms, there are plenty of parking lots for thieves to feast on. The loss prevention officer on the golf cart that you saw in our parking lot is our way of combating that problem. Since we've started this program in Jan of 2009, we’ve only had 10 car break-ins over the past 29 months.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,164)

Reviewed April 13, 2011

I am satisfied with this blind pick for a good full-service, IAH-convenient hotel and was able to secure a decent rate. Architecture is dated '80s, and studio-style rooms' windows into the corridor struck me as peculiar, as well as having flat screen HDTVs without HD-quality picture (old LodgeNet interface not yet upgraded). But hotel lobby is shared with an office building which apparently gives it enough traffic for a full Starbucks kiosk which was a nice alternative to the full restaurant option which I did not try but looked good. Clean. Staff is friendly. But isn't it time for free internet?

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 10, 2011

The way we were treated during our stay at this Hilton property is the reason why Hilton if my first choice for hotels. From the staff, to the room, to the amenities; all were excelent. I would highly recomend this hotel especially if you are a Hilton Honors member. They really know how to show you that they appreciate loyal customers!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jsgray05
Reviewed April 4, 2011

When I made a reservation online, I got an eStandby Upgrade offer. When I asked an eStandby Upgrade, the front desk told me there is no guaranteed upgrade based on availability. I would need to pay $20 extra to upgrade to Executive floor even though they had Executive Floor rooms available. They didn't honor the offer, and she ended up assigning us a room right above three commercial air conditioning units (outside), out of the entire 22 floors in the building. Those machines never stopped running all night. With the terrible sound insulation, I couldn't fall asleep. What I want to say is that the front desk probably assigned a mediocre room to a customer who has snagged a lower rate. This hotel was not sold out that day (we made sure to check), contrary to what the front desk told us. I have been a Hilton Honors Silver member for years, this is the first time I have been treated badly like a free-nighter.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank ChristinaF
Reviewed March 22, 2011

This Hilton by far exceeded my expectations. The amenities were wonderful, the staff was great, always more than willing to help answer any questions I had. Everything about this hotel top notch, the grounds were clean, room was wonderful. I will most certainly be staying at this hotel every time I come to the area.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 21, 2011

The Hilton North in Houston, TX is an AWESOME Hotel! The Staff is AMAZING, the food is SUCCULENT, the rooms were WELCOMING and the beds were SO COMFORTABLE.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Hilton North is a well oiled machine. You feel welcomed from the moment you walk in. The rooms are clean and well taken care of. You can tell the management really takes pride in their job. GREAT EXPERIENCE!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business