“5 Star Location!”

Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
Ranked #153 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed June 29, 2010

This hotel is in the Galleria shopping mall. Yes, there are newer hotels nearby, but during summertime in Houston--- you do not want to be outside even for a few minutes. The heat and humidity are extreme. Ladies, your hair will fall and makeup will melt.
At the Westin Oaks, you can park for free and never get out in the heat. Yes, the carpet needs replacing, but it was clean and there were no stains. The workers in the lobby were very friendly. They have free newspapers in the lobby; USA TODAY, Houston Chronicle and WSJ. Also free internet in the lobby. Large flat screen tv in the rooms.
The rooms are large. Plenty to see and do in the mall. Lots of great places to eat.
Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel; the front rooms face Westheimer Rd and there is traffic noise.
The Galleria has 2 of some stores...even 2 Macy's dept. stores. We parked and didn't get in our car again until time to leave.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2010

Dear Raggedy Ann, we are exhilarated our location provided you with a delightful experience in the Galleria Mall, especially without ever having to step foot outdoors. Our staff strives to consistently deliver the highest quality of service to our guests, and we are happy you experienced this first hand. With regards to the condition of our hotel, the Westin Oaks will be undergoing a major transformation, which is scheduled to begin in the next few weeks. We are confident that once this is complete, this will bring us back to the Westin brand standards our loyal guests come to expect of a Westin hotel. Soon we will have a newly transformed hotel to go along with our new flat panel LCD televisions as well as enhance the experience of our guests in our large guest rooms. We are happy you were satisfied with the accommodations we offered and it’s always a pleasure in offering our guests complimentary news papers and Wi-Fi in our hotel lobby. We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We hope to see you back soon!! Regards,

Reviewed June 25, 2010

The Westin Oaks should not be rated a Four Star hotel. Now having said that, I must compliment the staff at Westin Oaks for all their help and service. The room was very clean. Service was outstanding by the staff. Housekeeping did an excellent job. I had no trouble with the shower, the water was hot when needed. The beds were very comfortable.

But the hotel is dated. My biggest complaint was the A/C. I could never get the room cold enough. I was always warm, and I did not sleep very well. The elevators behaved exactly as others have indicated in their reviews. Sometimes they were slow, and sometimes they stopped at floors, but no one was there to get on. Why would an elevator would stop at a floor unless it was called? The staff assured me that the Hotel is due for remodeling sometime this year (2010).

Parking was a pain. Because I was driving a SUV, I couldn't use garage parking, I had to park in the Mall lot in front of the Hotel. It was a pain to get in and out of this parking lot, and the Hotel has no control because the lot belongs to the Mall. But this complaint is not about the Westin, just parking in general.

I believe the location of the hotel in the Galleria Mall is the reason the rooms are overpriced. Because a Convention was in Houston this week, hotel rooms in the Galleria/Up Town area were almost impossible to find. So I took a chance and booked on line choosing a "mystery" 4 Star hotel at a discounted price. It turned out to be the Westin Oaks. Because the Hotel is dated, old, and needs to be refurbished, I couldn't recommend to anyone to pay full price. As such, it should not be rated a 4 Star facility.

Would I recommend this hotel? Only if you get a discounted price, and you can't find anything else in the area.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank taylorpb
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I wish we would have taken the time to read over the reviews before booking this hotel because I wouldn't have stayed here. From the moment we stepped off the elevator we couldn't believe it....the carpet looked nasty and worn..the walls had handprints smudged...looked very dirty. Our room wasn't any better. I did not want to take my shoes off...the carpet was nasty. The decor was lacking and the two chairs in the room needed to be recovered..the material was also dirty...and the green leather ottoman looked like something found in the trash..torn and dirty shoeprints all over. The headboard needed cleaning...very gross. The bathroom...the ceiling tiles looked like they could fall any minute and had dust hanging out. The drain did not drain, the tub was water stained, the clean wash rag was not clean (yuck), the granite on the counter top was mismatched, I could go on. I was not pleased at all and would highly recommend booking somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Superman521
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2010

Superman521 we are sorry that your experience in our hotel was less than perfect. With our hotel being located in one of the trendiness and upscale parts of the city, we understand your frustrations with regards to the condition of our hotel. However, this is not an excuse for the poor maintenance and lack of proper cleaning in our guest rooms and public spaces. We would like to mention that the Westin Oaks will be undergoing a major transformation that is scheduled to being on July 23, 2010. Our transformation will include new carpet, wall coverings, décor, lighting and a modern and upscale lobby. We are confident that once our transformation is complete, this will bring us back to the Westin brand standards our guests come to expect of a Westin Hotel. Again, we sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you had while being a guest of ours and we truly hope you give us another opportunity to make a better impression possibly after our transformation is complete.

Reviewed April 26, 2010

After reading all the comments on this website about this hotel I thought that this place was going to be a nightmare - however this was not the case. To summarise:

Negative points:
- a lift with a mind of its own - likes to stop at every other floor whether or not someone has called it
- no fridge/ mini bar (not the end of the world)
- the aircon was a bit loud
- drainage in the shower and sink a bit slow
- the gym was in the other Westin Hotel but the 5 mionute walk each way just allowed a warm up/cool down

Positive Points
- polite and helpful service from all staff
- very comfotable bed
- great breakfast room - good food and great service
- fantastic location adjoined to the Galleria - being a visitor to the US I wanted the opportunity to 'shop till I dropped' and the location provided that.
- immaculately clean
- option to forego housekeeping for a $5 food voucher
- free wi-fi in the lobby and cheap wi-fi in the room ($35 for 4 days)

Apart from those really picky negative points, the positives far outweighed the negatives - I really liked this hotel. Yes, it's a bit tired, but it had a really nice feel to it.

Would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business

Dear Starswine,

We are sincerely humbled you gave us an opportunity even after reading the reviews with regards to other guest experiences in our hotel. We completely understand you view regarding no mini bars in our guest rooms, however we do offer our guests mini-refrigerators should they require to keep something refrigerated, and that is available upon request should we have them available. We also understand you had challenges with regards to our elevators, air conditioner being too loud, as well as slow drainage in the shower. These are challenges that will be alleviated when our transformation is complete. We are glad in knowing our staff was polite and helpful and the quality of our food was very satisfying. In regards to our hotel looking a bit tired, we are exhilarated to let you know that the Westin Oaks will be undergoing a major ten million dollar transformation on July 23, 2010. The Westin Oaks will have a new modern and upscale look in the very near future, and we are confident this will bring us back to the Westin brand standards our loyal guests come to expect. Starswine, thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback, we truly do appreciate it very much.

Reviewed April 22, 2010

Good - Rooms are nicer than average Westin. Free parking underground.
Bad - Lobby/Elevator/Meeting facilities are dated and don't feel like Westin quality. SPG Platinum only gets you free WiFi (which was unusually slow).
Ugly - To get to the fitness center, you have to walk through the mall to the OTHER Westin. I felt pretty embarrassed hiking all the way through the Galleria in my sweaty workout clothes.

Once they complete their work to update this hotel, it will probably move to Four Stars. After two stays here, I think I'll try something else.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank bbrig

Dear Bbrig,

We are deeply sorry the location of our gym was very inconvenient for you. Some of our guests actually like the five minute walk to the gym and utilize it as a warm up. However, we know walking through the mall especially during mall hours, might be a little embarrassing for some after a work out. We are delighted to know you were happy with the accommodations in our guest’s rooms. However, we understand our meeting facilities, lobby and elevators need some attention. Our ten million dollar transformation that is scheduled to being July 23, 2010, will alleviate and correct these challenges and we are confident everyone will be delighted with the changes once our transformation is complete. The new Westin Oaks lobby and meeting facilities will have a new and modern upscale look that will enlighten the senses. Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback, and we hope you give us another opportunity to make a better impression in the future.

Reviewed April 10, 2010

I had not stayed in the Galleria area in some time and decided to give it a try for this recent shopping trip, right after a week-long stay at another Westin in South Florida.

I enjoyed enjoyed the great convenience of being located right on the mall and quite central in Houston, however, every time I went back to the hotel, I was shocked at how outdated and poorly managed it is. I am shocked to find that it is still a Westin, it is certainly not at Westin standards. Starwood should do something about this soon!

No mini-bars in Westin rooms? Worst: No drinking water in Westin rooms?

Torn and mushy carpets in a Westin hallway?

Have the pool lounge chairs been maintained in the past 15 years???

That pool deck has soooo much potential (bar, lounge, café), but how unappealing it is right now...Do the owners ever wonder why nobody uses the pool? or the jogging path??

I only hope that a more entrepreneurial type takes upon the task of opening a hotel that connects to the Galleria, but which offers a true world-class hotel experience. Until then, I will have to stay elsewhere and walk, bike or drive to the Galleria...

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ultraplur
Reviewed March 29, 2010

The area is probably the best location to stay in Houston. In the heart of Galleria - the best shopping area in Houston. Well maintained, clean and modern area. Very safe as well, it is close to several exclusive residential areas in Houston. Close to major hwys, downtown, and university area. Also excellent selection of restaurants, grocery stores (Whole Foods is very close) and upscale eateries and cafes. The hotel is connected to the Galleria, so very easy to shop. Parking is free and easily accessible in the underground parking facility. Staff friendly, courteous and professional, I think one of the best. The room was clean, bed very comfortable, and good quality linens - but 3 stars for cleanliness due to some stain on the comforter otherwise very clean. The highlight to the room is that one entire side of the wall is all windows with a huge sliding glass door. Great view and ventilation which is rare to find in any hotel. Yes, the hotel is older, and does need renovation and improvement. But for the location, I think is a great hotel. I was concerned with some of the reviews. No problem with the elevator. But we enjoyed our stay. Will stay again next time. One negative is no free wifi - which is unheard of these days.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family