“No reason for all the negative reviews!”

Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
Ranked #134 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Nederland, Texas
“No reason for all the negative reviews!”
Reviewed October 5, 2009

My husband and I decided to take our daughter to the Galleria for a shopping weekend. After reading all the reviews on this website, I was afraid of this hotel. There was no need to worry.

Yes, the hotel is in need of an update. However, things are not as bad as other reviewers have stated. We were in room 1205, and we found it to be a great room. The room is VERY large. The beds were comfortable. The furniture did show a little wear, but I only noticed when I looked for the wear and tear (because of other reviews). We had a large flat screen tv in the room.

The only place that is really showing its age is the bathroom. Our bathroom was very clean, but the shower/tub does scream 1970's.

The location of this hotel is fantastic. I loved being able to leave the room and enter the mall. Even without updates, I would have no problem staying here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Coordintator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, October 13, 2009
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to hear your past stay at the Westin Oaks was pleasant. We are thankful you gave us an opportunity to make a nice impression after reading some negative reviews about our hotel. I do want to let you know our hotel will be undergoing renovations starting in early 2010 and continue gradually through 2011. Hopefully, the renovations will alleviate some of the minor inconsistencies you may have come across during your stay. Again, thank you for taking time in providing us with wonderful feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Turkish first
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed October 1, 2009

This hotel is no better than a decent, older Holiday Inn. If you pay for and expect Westin quality, you will be disappointed. I note (after my stay, of course) that the manager has posted responses on this site saying that upgrades are coming, but that does not help when you're already there and is no consolation to the guests you have hoodwinked. You should either advise travelers up front when a reservation is made, or change the Starwood brand to something else. Even if this had been branded a Sheraton property, I still would have been disappointed.

The decor is old and tired. The furniture is beat up. My "heavenly bed" wasn't even very comfortable and the white duvet cover is dirty. The bathroom was a bit dingy. The air conditioner is very loud and runs almost constantly.

I had to participate in a conference call while there, but my cell phone could not hold a signal in my room, so I used the phone. The charge was $45 for a 10.5 min call. I challenged this, and they agreed that they had made a mistake and it should only have been $21. They claim AT&T charges $1.75 per minute. I asked for support for this (they had to know how much to charge, right?) but could not produce it. I gave my business card to the manager on duty, Cathalin and she was supposed to call me but has not (it has been 10 days).

Additionally, I believe someone tried to rob me. I was in my room and the phone rang. I was busy and did not answer it. Later, there came a very light tap on the door. Through the peephole I could see someone with a blue blazer and a badge. He tapped lightly again, but I did not acknowledge it. The next thing I know, he opens the door, even though it was deadbolted. He seemed quite surprised and said that some of my "friends" were looking for me, and that he was doing a "wellness check" since I did not answer my phone. I was at a conference, but didn't really know many people there, and none that would ring my room. I asked around and no one was looking for me. I advised the manager but opted not to call the police.

The only pluses are the location and the rooms are very large. Starwood should gut this hotel, fire management and start over.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Houston hotels

Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 24, 2009

Booked this hotel for $89 on Priceline. For that rate, it was a great deal, even though as other reviewers have noted, it is an older property and not a shiny sparkling new one. My room had been appropriately renovated to reasonably modern standards. The location was extremely convenient for my meetings in the Galleria area. I don't think I'd stay here at Starwood's published rates for this hotel, but if you can get a good deal, it's a solid option. The only thing that really annoyed me was paying $9.95 for internet access.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time in providing us with feedback, as it provides us with an opportunity to improve and correct our service and property. We are pleased to hear our location was very convenient in relation to your meetings in the area. I would also like to let you know our hotel will be undergo renovations in the very near future, hopefully this will bring us back to the Westin brand standards our loyal guest come to expect. We will have a brand new amazing lobby and completely renovated rooms. We would also like to let you know we do have complimentary wireless in the lobby. Unfortunately, with a property of our size it is impossible to have complimentary wireless for the entire hotel and there for have to charge for internet usage in the rooms. Again, thank you for taking time in providing us with this invaluable feedback.
TX
Reviewed September 2, 2009

Brought 9 y/o to Jonas Bros. concert and had cancelled room at another hotel since the westin is in the Galleria. The rate was very reasonable so I was a little worried that the price would be indicative of the stay..WELL we had a corner room on the 16th floor overlooking the pool and it was HUGE! Very comfortable, A/C was great, the beds were so comfy! We didn't check out until 12noon! The Staff was perfect and I am about to book another stay this Labor Day weekend! My husband and I are professionals and are very particular. Trust me there were NO PROBLEMS at all!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed August 1, 2009

This place is a huge waste of money, stay somewhere else! A/C so loud and ineffective I thought I was in an old motel with a window unit. There are no fridges or microwaves in the rooms, internet costs $10/day (come on Westin!), mold in the bathroom under peeling wallpaper, the water temp went from luke warm to scalding and back again during every shower, rooms and hallways hot and musty, carpets stained, furniture is old, remote for the TV didn't work unless 1 foot away. I complained about several of these issues (TV, needing mirowave, water temps) they sent a repair man up but he didn't fix anything. Only pluses were location, and the beds were comfy if you don't mind being hot and damp all night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Lauren361
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Coordintator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, August 11, 2009
Dear Lauren,

We want to thank you for your feedback, as it provides us with an opportunity to improve and correct our service and property. We are truly sorry your stay with us was not as pleasant as we would have liked. We are even more disappointed in knowing you reported the problems you encountered and we were not able to resolve them to your satisfaction during your stay. We understand how frustrating this may have been for you and truly regret the lack of service you received.

The Westin Oaks will start renovations in mid 2010 and hopefully alleviate some of the problems you encountered during you recent stay with us. Please know we take guest feedback seriously and we will take steps to resolve the issues of which you raise.

Again, please accept our sincere apology for not having an enjoyable stay with us. If you have may have any other questions, please feel free to contact the hotel and ask for Danny Ruiz.
Timpson, Texas
Reviewed July 28, 2009

I was a little hesitant of this hotel after reading the reviews but decided that the location was more important. My sixteen year old daughter and I went for a shopping trip and had a wonderful time. Upon arrival, the valet service was very helpful. My vehicle was too large to park in the underground garage so they suggested I park in the express parking which was right in front of the hotel. They graciously parked my vehicle for me and the cost was only $10.00 for 24 hours which is cheaper than valet. The "check in" staff were very friendly. I was afraid I would recieve a less than adaquet room since I booked online at an extremely discounted rate but was pleasantly surprised! Our room was on the 17th floor and was very nice. It was quite clean and suffeciently equiped. The elevators are in desperate need of repair (or replaced). They are very slow and it seemed that there was only one working most of the time and it was quite shakey! The air conditioning also seemed inadequet as we had it set on 64 the whole time and were barely comfortable. This property could use some improvements but overall I found it to be quite pleasant with a location that can't be beat. I will definately stay again.
Tina
Timpson, TX

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank tsamford
westin_management, Guest Relations Coordintator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, July 29, 2009
Dear Tina,

Thank you for taking time to provide us with such valuable feedback. We are pleased to hear that overall your stay was pleasant, but regret to hear that you encountered some challenges with the elevators and the air conditioner in your room not cooling properly. Please know that The Westin Oaks will be going through renovations starting in early 2010, we are excited about the new changes that are going to occur and will bring us back to the Westin Brand standard our loyal guests expect. We hope to make your next visit with us a very enjoyable and pleasant stay. Please contact the hotel directly if you may have any other questions, comments or concerns and request to speak with Danny Ruiz.
brackley UK
Reviewed July 25, 2009

I've stayed at WESTIN hotels before and they are normally very efficient and comfortable, the weather was HOT during our stay but for something this big the aircon in public areas including the conference I attended just couldn't handle it. It felt damp.
The room was badly serviced, minimal items in the minibar that was never restocked over 4 days. Lifts were so dodgy I saw people jumping out because they were just plain scared about what was going to happen
I can't recommend this hotel for anything, the front desk stated that a renovation was due to start - can't come soon enough
One highlight was Mario the concierge, friendly, good advice and helped out with rides in the hotel car to restaurants etc

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Triyanya
Dear Guest,

We are always interested in hearing from our guests, but regret it was this type of occurrence which prompted you to contact us. We are truly sorry your stay was not as pleasant as we would have liked. We understand how frustrating and uncomfortable it can be without a properly functioning air conditioner and we empathize with you. The renovations as you know will start in early 2010 at The Westin Oaks, and we are excited about the new changes that are going to occur and will bring us back to the Westin Brand standard our loyal guests expect. Thank you for taking time to contact us, if you may have any further questions, comments or concerns please call the hotel directly and request to speak with Danny Ruiz.