“Great Location for Business or Shopping”

Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
Ranked #128 of 511 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, Texas
“Great Location for Business or Shopping”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This hotel had started to show it's age when I last stayed several years ago. Fortunately the ownership has reinvested and it is back. The rooms are fresh and roomy, the new elevator system (dispatched to your floor) is great and eliminates one of the biggest problems at the hotel.
Hotel staff is helpful and friendly. This hotel is all about location. You can conduct your business in the office buildings, eat at great restaurants and pick up a few shopping items and never leave the building.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank James C
Jennifer R, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear James C,

We sincerely appreciate your kind review of the Westin Oaks. We strive in providing our guests with a relaxing and rejuvenating atmosphere to unwind in and are thrilled to hear that we fulfilled our commitment to you. We hope to continue providing you instinctive service during any future travels to the Houston Galleria area.

Best wishes,
Jennifer Rincon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Turkish first
Hyattsville, Maryland, United States
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed at the Westin Oaks this past weekend (Friday and Saturday night) because we flew into for my dad's 70th birthday. At first I was pretty hyped that the hotel was adjoined to the mall. BUT after searching for parking for 30 minutes one time, and having to pay $7 for 10 minutes (so I could run upstairs and get something out of the room), this hotel was slowly becoming less and less a favorite. If you don't have to go anywhere, this is a fabulous location. Anything and everything that you need is right there. The only downside was when we had to leave. Twice on different occasions, the lights were broken, which caused a traffic nightmare. And again, having to park on the complete opposite end of the hotel and carry gift boxes (for all of the guests) was a headache. With all of that headache, you would think that you would get something more, like free internet to make up for the lousy parking they have to offer. I saw a couple weddings, and I can imagine that parking for the guests was pretty bad (unless you pay for parking). It would really be great if there was designated parking for hotel guests (maybe using a room key or something...even if you had to pay).
On a positive note...the actual hotel was great. I didn't see anything to complain about. The hotel staff was very nice. I forgot to use my $5 coupon for "Going Green" over the weekend. The elevators were a little tricky at first...but then again, that was probably us. We had been traveling all day. I've never seen that type of elevator before, where you punch in your floor and then it will tell you which elevator to take. Glad I was drinking. But once we made it to the lobby, we were all good after that. I stayed in room 1417. It was a pretty decent room. Our refrigerator did not work at all. It stayed warm the entire time. But I liked having a balcony (we were facing the pool). Beds were comfortable and everything was clean. I loved that the shower got really, really, hot!
Overall, it's a great hotel to stay at. It was nice to be able to run in the mall and grab things that we forgot. I love staying at Westin's and will continue, but maybe not this one.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ArtNSoulEscapes
Dear ArtNSoulEscapes,

We appreciate your review of the Westin Oaks. We regret that parking caused a disruption in your stay and that we did not provide you with a suitable alternative or solution. In regards to the refreshment center in the room, we sincerely apologize for not having effectively communicated to you that the refreshment center stays at room temperature. We do provide complimentary refrigerators upon request. We appreciate your continued patronage to the Westin brand and hope you will allow us the opportunity to mend your impression of our hotel.

Sittard, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Although this hotel is located great (@ the Galleria Mall) it's services are moderate. For 3 days internet paying $ 26 is too much, using the business center to print 3 pages cost me $ 10. The breakfast is poor, normally you have a buffet, here you have to go to a restaurant etc.. The rooms are good but over-priced. I'm sure for that price there are alternatives in Houston. And, they have a Green program that when you request not to change blankets and towels every you get a voucher of $ 5 per night. I didn't see one ...........

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Neierke
Dear Neierke,

We appreciate your candor regarding your recent stay at the Westin Oaks. We regret that we did not provide you with a true Westin Experience. It is disappointing to hear of the inconveniences you endured. Please be assured that we have discussed your comments with our Director of Housekeeping and Broadband so that we can take corrective measures. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to host you during any future travels to the Houston Galleria area so that we may mend your impression of our hotel and the Westin brand.

Best regards,
Fairfield County, CT
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I was a little apprehensive about the property reading some of the other reviews regarding the poor state of this hotels facilities. I was on the 4th floor which looks recently renovated. Other guests at the group event I attended said their floor had also been renovated. I'm not sure about all floors. It looks like a cheap renovation.
The knob on my shower fell off so I couldn't turn on the water. The toilet flush is not very good, you have to hold down the handle for 5 seconds. The beds are OK, bed cover OK but not great. My TV remote was broken. the ceiling tiles in the bathroom look cheap.
This hotel is connected to the Galleria and in a good location. The gym is decent.
For $300 night + taxes I don't feel like I got a 4 star experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank nodrama1
Jennifer R, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear nodrama1,

We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at the Westin Oaks. We regret that we did not provide you with a relaxing and rejuvenating stay with us. It is never our intention to cause any inconveniences to our guest and regret having caused one in yours. We would like to gather more information from you, such as your room location so that we may rectify these issues immediately. If you could please contact us at your earliest convenience at WeCare@westin.com we would greatly appreciate it. We thank you for having brought this to our attention and look forward to hearing from you.

Victoria, Texas
Reviewed February 10, 2014

One of these days I will learn! The location is great if you need to be close to the mall but this will come at a price. Parking is a NIGHTMARE (SHARED WITH THE MALL!!) and it seems like this hotel is always under some kind of construction!?! The last time we stayed with Westin Oaks the a/c was broke and we sweated all night long and I just booked a stay for next Saturday night that unbeknownst to me CAN NOT be changed or altered in any way!
If your going to go on and on and on about your impeccable customer service it seems like you could make minor changes to a reservation to accommodate an additional nights stay. I think its ridicules and I will not make this mistake again. I should have stayed with Marriott like my husband suggested.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank jessica s
Jennifer R, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Jessica S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Westin Oaks. We regret that parking at the hotel caused a disruption in your stay and that we were unable to assist you with extending your reservation. There are certain types of reservations that we unfortunately do not have access to and sincerely apologize for any inconveniences this caused. We do strive in providing personal and instinctive service and apologize that we did not fulfill this commitment to you.

Best wishes,
Jennifer Rincon

Travelers are raving about these Houston hotels

Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed February 2, 2014

The food in their restaurant is gourmet good! Smoked cheese on the nachos, fresh green juices in the morning, almond milk for my coffee helped me have a wonderful experience. The hotel was attached to the galleria so it was nothing to go shopping! We never left the hotel between hearing our speaker's event and the shopping! I worked out in the morning and the treadmill was the kind where you can plug in your iphone and follow cool maps on the screen. Everything was clean and all of the staff were super helpful and friendly. We used the valet service and they were careful with our belongings.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
California
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

The room I stayed in was comfortable and a bit bigger than average but otherwise there was nothing to make it stand out. The in room safe was broken and the closet is on the small side. The hotel is part of the Galleria, a huge high end shopping mall. I did not eat at the hotel restaurant as the menu did not appeal to me. However there was a Cheesecake Factory about 100 feet away in the Galleria which was fine.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer R, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Packedandready2go,

We are pleased to be informed that our staff assisted in providing you a memorable stay at the Westin Oaks. We regret that we did not provide you with a functioning safe and would like to gather more information regarding your room so that we can fix this issue. Please contact us at WeCare@westin.com at your earliest convenience. We hope to hear from you soon.