“Good hotel, great staff.”

Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
Ranked #155 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I loved my stay here. This hotel is nice, but it's really the location and the employees that make this place worth the time. The valet guy was really helpful and kind even though I opted to park my car in the garage. The front desk people were so friendly and upbeat that even though we were checking in during a very busy time, it didn't feel like they were stressed and maybe even like they were (dare I say it?) having fun. I was sincerely impressed by these people. This hotel has a pretty fantastic team working there. Our room was nice and spacious, and we had a fantastic view from our room. Room service was fabulous, too. I just really enjoyed my experience here. A lot of hotels severely underestimate the impact that positive staff attitudes make on the visitor. I left here feeling well-rested and excited to start my day, as silly as that sounds. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer R, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear DimestoreMedicine,

We are ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Westin Oaks! We strive in providing our guests with instinctive service and are thrilled that our staff assisted in providing you a memorable experience. We all take pride in Westin and love to recognize our staff publically. Thank you very much for these kind words and we look forward to being able to continue hosting you on any future travels to the Houston Galleria area.

Be well,
Jennifer Rincon

Reviewed December 25, 2013

Spent only 1 night here but I left with an overall positive impression. My room was comfortable, clean and very spacious. It even included a fitness machine, ready to use.
The hotel is located inside the Galleria, which is very convenient.
Staff is correct and friendly.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The Westin Oaks is a good Westin property - not the best but certainly not the worst. It features a great location (adjacent to an enormous mall), huge rooms (about twice the size of a typical hotel room) and a pleasant, helpful staff.

The Houston Galleria is the largest mall I've ever seen. I know it's not the largest in the United States, but it's enormous. There are two Westin hotels connected to this mall, the Westin Galleria and the Westin Oaks. I did not visit the Westin Galleria, but it seems as though the hotels are identical. Location is great for shopping, business and even ice skating (inside the mall). The dining options are also plentiful, but be aware that outside the normal chain selection (such as restaurants like Cheesecake Factory), the prices are very high. Most of the restaurants within walking distance of the mall are of the expensive, high-end variety. The restaurant that is attached to the hotel and actually in the mall provides a decent (but overpriced) breakfast.

Rooms are huge, as I mentioned. I was stuck with a two-queen-bed room but the square footage was easily twice that of something you'd find in most hotels. Beds and room were comfortable and nicely decorated, which is normal for Westin. Bathroom is of a decent size with nice fixtures. I had a slight problem with inconsistent hot water but didn't report it until the end of my stay. The workout facility is a bit under equipped, but it has two benches, some dumbbells and a few cardio machines.

This hotel features a unique method of controlling the elevators: you select your floor at the waiting area, and a panel displays the elevator that will stop for you. When you get in, you only have a door-close and door-open button. It may seem a bit odd at first, but after I rode it twice, I appreciated the efficiency of this system. It works well.

Overall, this is a nice Westin and you won't be disappointed. The front desk staff is pleasant and answered all my questions about dining recommendations. I would stay here again when in business in the Houston Galleria area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank phiNole
Reviewed December 16, 2013

What a wonderful experience. My short business/pleasure trip has left me planning my next vacation at this hotel. The view of the Galleria was tremendous. As traveling and rest go, this was simply super.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Jennifer R, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Dear Goodstay449,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Westin Oaks. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your Westin Experience! We hope to be able to host you for all of your trips to the Houston Galleria area!

Be well,
Jennifer Rincon

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Conveniently connected to the galleria mall. Spacious room with large windows and heavy drapes. Big bathroom with rain head shower and extra hand wand; comfy hotel robe. Front desk personnel were friendly and professional. Several requests were made for extra coffee which was followed by immediate delivery to the room. Mini fridge (wasn't very cold) and coffee maker was in the room, but no microwave. Closet had a small safe. Room service is available, but expensive with additional surcharges. This is a pet friendly hotel with no fees or deposits. However, the only outside area for dogs is the low shrubs around the base of a few trees in front of Neiman Marcus which is a bit of a walk from the elevator. Overall stay was pleasant, but the parking is a nightmare. The free garage is shared with mall patrons and it's almost impossible to find a spot to park. There are two levels below street level where the main hotel entrance is located.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ZoomZoomUSA
Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

Location and being in the same compound with the wonderful Galleria and providing free parking, good rooms and fair price sealed the deal for me, my last 3 trips to Houston were more pleasant, thanks to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013
Anita J, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Greetings Manny13trip,

We are thrilled to read your review and learn about your recent experiences at the Westin Oaks. It is a pleasure to know that your stays at our hotel have contributed to your positive experiences in Houston! We hope your travels continue to bring you back to our area so that you may continue to encounter a revitalizing Westin experience.

Kind Regards.

Anita Jain

Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

For a hotel as expensive as this one I expect a lot. We had to wait for almost an hour to check in because the hotel couldn't find the card on file. It finally got resolved and was, in fact, a hotel error. The beds were okay. They weren't as amazing as the hotel claims for them to be and the pillows were awful. The first morning the tv was set to come on at 6 as a wake up call so that woke up the whole family and the baby. One half of the curtains were bolted to the frame so they couldn't be opened for natural light. The room service wasn't bad except for the insane prices. $30 for (essentially) a Grand Slam breakfast. However, there were many times I would call and the phone would continually ring with no answer. And a few times people from the hotel would come knocking, asking if we called for (insert whatever item they had) and we never did. Not impressed.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank FirstRedHibiscus

Greetings FirstRedHibiscus,

We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback with us. I apologize to learn of the challenges endured during your stay and how this negatively impacted your impressions of the Westin Oaks. It is never our intention to cause such inconveniences and we hope you will accept our apology. We would like to gather additional details from you such as your reservation information so that we can follow up and address your concerns. Please contact us at wecare@westin.com referencing your review at your earliest convenience. We hope to hear from you soon!

Kind Regards,