“Pretty good”

Ranked #133 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Calgary, Canada
“Pretty good”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Can't complain but nothing spectacular either. Clean room, freindly service, nice bed, great location (for food and shopping). I would not want to pay full price but I got a blind buy on expedia so for $88/night this is a pretty good deal. Wireless internet is an extra $10/day. Free parking can be hard to find as mall patrons use it all up. Valet parking is expensive $27/night

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Scott R
Anita J, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Greetings Scott R,

We appreciate your review of the Westin Oaks. We continuously aim to deliver a relaxing and well cared for stay for each of our guests and we are pleased to learn we met your overall expectations. You may be interested to know that all Westin properties offer in-room Wi-Fi for an additional fee unless included with a reservation package. We also offer complimentary wireless internet in the lobby which is accessible 24 hours a day. We apologize if this option was not communicated to you. We hope to have the opportunity to host you as our guest again in the future!

Best Wishes,

Anita J.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have now had the pleasure of staying at both Westin Hotels at the Houston Galleria. One is so much better than the other. The loser is this one. I was so disappointed with the Westin Oaks. Although the bed and bedding is Heavenly, the remainder of the room is just not up to the usually high Westin standards. The rooms have absolutely no color. Everything is in shades of blah! There really isn't anything to make the rooms look pleasing. Most Westins combine comfort with a bit of class. This one did not. The duvet on the bed had pen stains in a few places, but since I was only staying one night I didn't say anything. I regret that now. The duvet really needs to be changed. The shower was a bit interesting. There is the rain shower head, which is nice, but there is also a second hand held shower head. I removed it, but I didn't need to use it since the rain shower head was just fine. I am a fan of the soaps and shampoos. There was no soap in the shower, so I had to use the sink soap. I'm not sure if this is intentional or a lack of good housekeeping.

Shortly after arriving in the room, there was a knock at the door, quickly followed by someone letting themselves into my room! As luck would have it, I was in the bathroom, which made it both awkward and invasive. Whoever let themselves in let themselves out.

A word about the elevator: if this is the future of elevators, there is definitely going to be a learning curve. Instead of punching the floor number inside the elevator, the numbers are on the outside where one would normally push the up or down arrows. If you are not paying attention and get into an elevator when the door opens in the lobby, you have the pleasure of riding the elevator up to the floor of the person who pushed the floor number. And then you are stuck. Or if no one has pushed a floor, the doors close and you go nowhere! It is a bit confusing the first time. I did see a number of people who got into an elevator after checking in who had to return to the reception desk to ask what was wrong with the elevators. Not having floor numbers inside the elevator is a bit unnerving.

On the plus side, being at the Galleria there are many restaurants to choose from. I parked in mall parking to avoid the $30 parking fee. And there is that Heavenly bed. However, If I need to do business in the area again, I will stay at the Westin Galleria, not the Westin Oaks.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Victoria F
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I recently stayed at the Westin Oaks in Houston, Texas for business. I read the Trip Advisor reviews which were very helpful in ensuring I had a wonderful stay. I requested a week before to have a high floor and the Westin came through. Everyone at the Westin was extremely pleasant and professional during check in. The bed was comfortable and my room was spacious and clean. The view from window was spetacular but you could hear the traffic at night but it was bearable. The young gentlemen who hailed the cbs were prompt and courteous. The design of the hotel is excellent and being attached to the Galleria Mall was a plus especially for items needed during my trip. The only negative person I encountered was the waitress at the bar who seemed to be rude because she was overwhelmed. Instead of making that obviously know to the patrons of the bar, she should have told that information to her supervisor. Other than her attitude, I would still give the hotel an excellent rating because all the hotel staff seem to know how to make their guest feel special. If I visited Houston again, I would definitely stay at the Westin Oaks. We will probably also continue to patron this hotel for future business trips. Job well done, Westin Oaks!

Room Tip: Ask for a High Floor and if the hotel is crowded...take your shower during an off time.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Anita J, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear ATL2ndhome,

Thank you for your 5-star review! I am thrilled to learn you truly enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Oaks. We strive to provide personalized service for each of our guests and we are excited we delivered on these expectations. I appreciate your kind compliments and will certainly share the recognition where it has been earned; it is always a pleasure when our guests share the memorable experiences with us. We hope your business travels bring you back to the Westin Oaks soon so that you may continue to experience a revitalizing stay!

Best Wishes,

Anita J.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Great location as you have all the shopping you want and some good restaurants in the Galleria. There were a few amenities/service were lacking. The elevators are different and upon check in we should have been advised rather than struggle to figure it out. Overnight parking at $27 is ridiculous but we did not have a choice as parking underground was packed and no spaces available. We drove around 20 min in underground traffic! The Galleria had a large portion of the garage reserved- forcing guests to valet if you are in a time crunch. Room was clean but felt dated. They put in new rain overhead shower but there was some mold on the low ceiling, handle was hard to turn so as I was forcing warmer water you have to push so hard it goes to very hot! The A/C was very loud - throughout the night you could hear it roar on not what I expect from a Westin from that aspect I felt like I was at a Hampton Inn. If I needed to stay at the Galleria I would try the other Westin.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Plano, Texas
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great location for shopping, dining or what ever in Houston. The bed was heavenly, the room was very nice, however no ramp to roll our suitcase down from the self-parking level to the lower level elevators of the hotel. In this day and age when you travel the TSA at the airport asks if you have "left your bags with anyone?", it's not wise to leave your bags with the Valet while you self park. Not many carry locks for suitcases anymore. And, what about the ADA rights? How in the world would someone in a wheelchair or on crutches get to their hotel with their bags if they self park? Oh, yes... new elevator system. No one at the Front Desk explained how to use it, another guest showed us how to use it, even though there was signage posted. Yes - I'd stay there again in a heartbeat, thus the Very Good rating.

Room Tip: I like the view facing Westheimer. The south side of the hotel gets the sunset - very hot in the sum...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer R, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear S C,

Thank you for providing us insight on your recent stay at the Westin Oaks. We understand your frustrations with the stairs that connect the parking garage with our hotel; we do offer the option of leaving your car in valet while we get your checked in or storing your luggage in our closet while you find parking. We regret that we did not provide you with all of your options regarding your luggage options and how to use our destination elevators when you arrived. I have relayed your comments to our Director of Front Office so that we can use your experience to coach our staff in providing thorough information to our guests upon check-in. We hope you will allow us another chance to provide you with the full Westin Experience during your next trip to the Houston Galleria area.

Best wishes,
Reviewed July 27, 2013

From the moment of our arrival, every Westin staff we came across exemplified utmost professionalism and courtesy. I wish I got the name of the nice, young lady who checked us in. She patiently and attentively listened to my qualms about all the negative reviews I recently read about the Oaks. She put me at ease, and she also gave excellent recommendations on sushi restaurants nearby. This trip was pre-booked months ago.. a mother-daughter celebration of bdays (13th and 40th)...and our 3-night stay was wonderful! Everyone at Westin was so kind, helpful, and patient...from the nice lady who checked us in...to Chris who graciously agreed to take a few snapshots of my daughter and me with our phones...to Robert, who helped with our luggage...to Yvonne, Michael?, Amber, and the other Service Express staff who made all of our room service experiences so pleasant...to the well-mannered, young gentlemen at the Valet desk this morning who helped us to our taxi. Thank you, Westin Oaks Staff, for making this mother&daughter trip so memorable for us. To those contemplating staying at the Westin Oaks, rest assured that from the moment you check in, you will be surrounded by exceptional customer service...which is even better when that kindness and courtesy is reciprocated :) The bed coverings, carpeting, and bathrooms do show heavy wear and are in need of replacement, but the beds were still quite comfortable, the skyline view at dawn and sunset are breathtaking, and the food quality of the in-room dining was exceptional. I would definitely book here again for a corner room if I visit Houston again...especially if traveling alone, because my daughter and I felt very safe at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in dire need of overhaul. It is parctically still the same as it was 20 years ago. The rooms are large but dusty and not immaculate, a/c is noisy and impossible to tune, bathrooms are old and beaten up. The prices are on the high side. The only atout is the location. Wouldn't be there I bet would be deserted or priced at half!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business