“Nice Hotel, Great Location and relatively affordable”

Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
Ranked #128 of 511 Hotels in Houston
Atlanta
“Nice Hotel, Great Location and relatively affordable”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed at hotel for a business trip and will certainly be back next time. No better choice for a shopping trip to high end (and huge) Galleria. Fantastic location IN the Galleria, very good rooms (excellent for price -- I actually had a treadmill in my room!), friendly staff (especially in restaurant) and compared to other choices in immediate area, very affordable. Bonus is ability to self park for free with covered parking right next to hotel elevator. Only criticism (which is all too common for hotels these days) is they could use some more staff helping with check in.

Room Tip: Ask for a "Westin Workout" room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Benjamin M, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Greetings,

Thank you for your 5 Star review on Tripadvisor! We are very pleased that your stay with us was a memorable experience. We appreciate the warm comments regarding the restaurant, our staff, and the amenities in the guest room. We are also thrilled you enjoyed our location here in the Galleria. We understand your concerns regarding our staffing and we empathize. We appreciate your insights as we look for every opportunity to improve the level of service we strive to deliver. We look forward to your next trip to the Houston Galleria area and the privilege of having you as our guest.

Kind Regards,
Benjamin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Turkish first
mexico
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Every year I stay for 3 nights at this hotel. The only reason they´ve kept me as a client for so many years is that my other option is the Westin Galleria or stay outside the Galleria. This time around I thought they might get a better review, the hotel has finally upgraded their elevators to the intelligent ones, and this has made the service much more efficient... Until they stop working on a Sunday morning and people had to use the service elevators or the stairs, the hotel didn´t provide any information to their guests, luckily we were on the 5th floor and were not checking out.
Last year the shower in my room didn´t work, this year it was the safe. The security staff that had to come in to fix it, was really apologetic, the problem was complicated, it took 4 visits to get it to work properly... My huge complaint is the customer service Westin Oaks provide through service express, no matter how big or small the business, you should always listen to the client. If I´m paying for a service I expect to receive a comprehensive replay like "we are doing everything we can to solve the problem, we are very sorry for the inconvenience" and offer a solution, later I learned that they have safes downstairs for cases like this. The response I received from Service Express on Friday night was "what would you like me to do? I can´t do anything, and don´t talk to me like that" (my tone was firm, asking for a quick solution).
The Westin Oaks provide good rooms, it´s clear to me that I´m paying for the location, but I don´t know how they are keeping their star rating. Any staff member that interacts with clients must be patient, they are representing the company, in this case Westin Oaks is showing not only a lack of supervision of their maintenance (also the towels were torn), also a lack of customer service training.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the elevators.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank elsalero
Dear elsalero,

We apologize for the challenges you experienced regarding our elevator systems, in-room safe, and the service you received. This is certainly not the level of service we strive to provide. We would very much like to speak with you in further detail regarding your stay. Please feel free to contact us at GALLE@WESTIN.COM and reference your Tripadvisor review so that we can learn more about your experience. We appreciate your candor and your comments as we are always looking for ways in which we can improve on our level of service. We look forward to hearing from you so that we can learn from your experience.

Regards,
Roseville, CA
Reviewed October 28, 2012

A few drawbacks but for shoppers, this place is paradise. First the drawbacks, this was my first trip to Houston and arriving at rush hour and trying to get from the airport to the Galleria took almost two hours. Parking was a bit of a challenge and I noticed their 6' 6" height limit made a couple shuttle vans turn around. Also, I'm not a fan of their new elevators.

On the other hand, the staff was very attentive, rooms spacious, clean and quiet and being connected to the Galleria mall complex, largest mall in Texas, with it's 375+ stores and skating rink off endless opportunities to fill those empty suitcases you brought along. I was here for a business meeting and the meeting space was also very nice, staff extremely helpful and overall a very good experience.

Room Tip: I'd stay away from the elevators and on higher floors to get away from the restaurant/mall noise...
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We went to Houston with a group of 100 people. The rooms were fantastic. The staff informative. Terrance! Terrance was full of information and recommendations that truely think he made our trip. The rooms are comfortable, spacious and clean. Love the Starbucks coffee in the room, that was a special treat! Location couldn't be better! Great shopping, great city. I will say this, we went to the Houston game as a Raven fan and note to anyone who is traveling for this reason. Now, I know we got our butts handed to us, but it wasnt necessary for the fans to throw plastic bottles and throw beer on us. Bad enough we lost. I will not go to a game in Houston again.

Room Tip: Our room was near the elevator, no problems at all with noise. Very quiet hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Beaumont, Texas
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have stayed at the Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria on several business and pleasure trips. The rooms are large, quiet and very comfortable. The staff is always friendly. During a recent stay, I experienced their "new" elevators which I thought were unique and different. I enjoyed the experience. I have not had any problems on any of my stays.
The location is convenient to shopping and area restaurants. It is a good hotel where you can spend quality time for a weekend or a week and feel safe and secure.

Room Tip: I prefer a room on a floor that overlooks Westheimer Street. The view is better than the rooms overl...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Benjamin M, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Greetings DocT798,

Thank you for your four star review of the Westin Oaks Houston. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our spacious rooms, friendly staff, and the benefits of where we are located. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Warm Regards,
Johnson City, Texas
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I've stayed here several times on business trips. It's a good and reliable experience whose location is either its biggest asset or greatest drawback, depending on your trip plans.

The rooms are quiet and spacious. The staff I've interacted with have all been polite if not overly helpful. My times here have been essentially for sleeping and showering, with not much spare time to experience the restaurants or other aspects of the hotel.

As the hotel is part of the Galleria Mall complex, just finding the entrance with a car can be challenging (enter from Post Oak Avenue) and parking is expensive. If your trip's going to be Galleria-centric, either for shopping or for work, the hassle of parking is well worth it.

All in all, a solid if unspectacular Westin.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Greetings Pletchm,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your continued loyalty to our hotel, the Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff and modern & spacious room accommodations. With regard to parking cost, since our hotel shares parking with the Galleria Mall, I would like to mention that free self-parking is available in the underground garage located in front of our hotel. I do apologize if you were not made aware of this sooner and for the difficulties you have encountered with parking.

Thanks again for your loyalty and feedback. We look forward to your return.

Be Well,
Danny
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed at the Westin for a long weekend while visiting my son who works at the Galleria complex. Needless to say, the location was perfect. The check-in was smooth, although I was placed in the wrong room (requested two beds instead of a king). The mistake was taken care of promptly, and my new room was spacious and comfortable. The elevators in the hotel are state of the art, and although another trip advisor guest complained about being in a room next to the elevator, I found them extremely quiet. Beds were very comfortable and dual head shower was nice, although its odd that with two heads they are placed so low that a 6ft person has to bend down. You'd think that ONE shower head could be placed high enough to actually shower! My only other issues: 1.There is a large sign in front of the hotel entrance that says "Valet Parking and Express Parking" Arrows point you to each. What isn't explained is that "Express parking" is NOT connected to the hotel. I parked there thinking it was hotel self parking and ended up paying $20 to stay overnight. Their system of payment is ludicrous. You have to take your ticket and enter the mall to pay, then return to your car IMMEDIATELY or they will start charging you again and you have to return to the mall payment booth again, pay and sprint back to your car to get out. Granted, it's not the hotel's fault, as once you check in they tell you where to park for free, but it would be a service to their guests if they would MOVE the sign for Express parking from the front of the hotel! 2. They offer guests a "green" option which means you can be "environmentally responsible" and opt out of clean sheets and towels. For this, they reward you with a $5 food voucher to use in the hotel or Starwood points. I tried the idea for a day. Didn't mind making my own bed and reusing towels, but being "green" means the maid totally skips your room. No coffee replacement, no shampoo, no soap, etc. You can call down and have them delivered, but it took me about three trips to figure out all the stuff I needed that wasn't in the room. Big hassle. In other words, don't be lured into the "green" option for a $5 voucher. It's kind of a cheezy way for the hotel to save money on maid service labor costs, 3. TV didn't work. They eventually replaced it after calling downstairs three times and visiting the front desk once, but by that time missed half of the ALCS , which happened to be an incredible game. 4. Charged $9.95/day for basic internet plus charged for computer use in the business center downstairs.
All in all, its a nice hotel with good service. My issues were minor, but could easily be addressed in order to make this truly a 5 star experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Benjamin M, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Greetings LillyAtlanta,

We appreciate you taking the opportunity to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay and we appreciate the four star review. We do apologize for the challenges with parking and we apologize that you were not informed of the express parking before experiencing it. We also apologize that the Make a Green choice option was not explained more clearly. This program allows the hotel to limit its environmental footprint by helping us reduce our usage of water, chemical detergents, and limits the amount of waste from amenity containers such as shampoo, lotion, and so on. Each time one of these is opened it must be disposed of when replaced and, as you can imagine, this can create a large amount of waste. The Make a Green Choice program limits the amount of that waste circulating back into the city sanitation or recycling centers. We truly value your comments and thank you for providing us with your insights. We hope that if you find yourself back in the Houston Galleria area that we may be granted the privilege to have you as our guest again and provide you with a better impression on the level of service we strive to provide.

Regards,