“OK but not for the single woman”

Best Western Plaza Hotel & Suites At Medical Center
Ranked #157 of 511 Hotels in Houston
Austin, Texas
“OK but not for the single woman”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

It was convenient and clean for the price. Basic accommodations, nothing fancy. Breakfast was average 2 -3 star hotel. However my biggest complaint is safety - you park in the back of hotel or parking garage and I would not have felt safe at night if I hadn't been with my husband. The walk from the car to the back entrance is not monitored.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
New Braunfels, United States
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I stay here 3 to 4 times a year. The staff is always friendly and goes out of their way to make sure our stay is enjoyable. The rooms are comfortable and clean as are the bathrooms. We enjoy the pool and hot tub, also.

Houston, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2013

good stay, one night, offer shuttle service to hospitals in houston medical center, good free hot breakfast, located by many good resturants and dining in all price ranges. good quality service. I would recommend to any patients and families staying in the houston medical center area fr treatment or tests.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We always love to stay at the Best Western Medical Center. When in Houston for a medical appointment, this is the closest and best place that we have found. The staff is caring and always concerned to know how we are doing. It is as if we are family when we are there. Great place to stay.

Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We will be having repeated visits to Houston for medical treatment. Our first time we stayed at another hotel in the area, much more elegant with a price to match. Since then we've chosen the Best Western Medical Center and been very pleased. The hotel is clean, safe, and provides breakfast (a variety of items) as well as shuttle to various hospitals. Rooms have microwave and small fridge, and coffee maker. There is free wifi, free parking as well as a basic indoor pool and small exercise room. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable about the area and finding transportation and restaurants. Specifically, John at the front desk has been very nice. Hopefully he is pursuing a career in public relations of some sort, or hotel management... he is dependable, attentive, and courteous. Another great worker has been the pleasant breakfast attendant. ...and the rest of the staff are also industrious and courteous. Definitely a good choice!.

Room Tip: We have stayed here four times and never had a noisy or bad room. Sun does come in each morning as...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Maybe I've finally come around on the Best Western brand. My experience (from family trips, growing up) was that Best Western was kind of "second-tier" family accommodations if the Holiday Inn and Ramada was booked up. But this place was NICE, with a fancy lobby, spacious rooms with a mini-fridge and microwave - although I've gotten spoiled with the detached sink/vanity outside the bathroom proper, and on a trip with a wife and two teenaged girls, it's hard to get around when the sink's in the bathroom with the toilet and shower. The Wi-Fi didn't work the first day we were there, so I plugged into the ethernet cable, which was functional but kept us tied to the desk. Beds were quite comfy, TV was brand-new flat panel - overall, room was clean, comfortable and "up-scale".
The hot tub/jacuzzi was nice, but the provided indoor pool was unheated and PAINFULLY cold. If you're going to have an indoor pool with no "solar heating", you have to get that water temperature up to a liveable level.
We did get down to the breakfast buffet our second day - great selection, including eggs, sausage (beef or pork), biscuits/gravy, waffles, oatmeal, cold cereal, coffee, juice, etc. Probably one of the better spreads I've seen in this accommodation class.
Parking's a little dicey because the hotel sits on a small piece of real estate, surrounded by medical facilities, but didn't have to walk very far to an entrance. Nice selection of restaurants on Holcombe St. a block to the west, I recommend Two Guys Pizzeria a couple blocks to the north.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Elk River, Minnesota
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

The room I stayed in was adequate - a very small bathroom but otherwise plenty of room. I was very disappointed to find that I couldn't connect my laptop to wifi. When I called the front desk for help, they put me through to Best Western tech support, but their tier one support couldn't solve the problem. He put me through to tier two support, but after being on hold for 15 minutes I gave up and went to bed.

• Stayed June 2013