“Not the usual Best Western”

Best Western Plaza Hotel & Suites At Medical Center
Ranked #157 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Conroe, TX
“Not the usual Best Western”
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Room smelled musty and pillows are crumbly foam. Bed was comfortable. Ask for a room with a small number as the elevator at the back close to the parking lot is "elevator is temporally out of service" at night. Ask for a floor the ice machine is working. Not very accomidating for guests spending hours at the Med Center. It's cheap and breakfast is good. Never saw the shuttle? Sping for Residence Inn just a bit further.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
Center, Texas
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We had a very nice stay on 9/17-19/12. The rooms,staff,breakfast were very nice and clean. We were able to walk to the doctors office and Methodist Hospital.
We had only two small complaints, the indoor pool was cold and the hotel really needs
better parking or atleast a way to come in instead of walking around to the front.
Will be staying again when we come to the Medical Center area.

Room Tip: Beds are wonderful and just a really nice place to stay.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kimberly H
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 20, 2012

For starters, I have stayed here several times. Every hotel has it share of pros and cons; here are mine for this hotel.

PROS: It is conveniently located within the Medical District. Within walking distance to Texas Children's Hospital new Maternity building and has a shuttle as well for many of the other hospitals. The staff is typically very friendly and polite, even if you have had a rough day. The breakfast area is larger than most Best Western hotels that I have been to. Plenty of area to sit. The rooms are usually quiet and the beds are comfortable. There is an elevator at each end of the hall which is nice.

CONS: Access into the hotel is a bit odd. There are 2 doors in the rear, however only 1 will let you in; make sure you have your key. There is also a set of doors just outside of the breakfast area which will let you out, but not back in. You will have to walk around the front of the hotel to get back in.

The fitness area is fine, but the equipment is older and needs to be replaced. I workout quite often, and their treadmill has a tendency to slip at higher speeds. I have stated this to the management, however they informed me that it has been maintained and operates normally.

Parking: If you park below, there is one door that has a key entry which will lead you to some stairs. The elevator cannot be accessed from the lower garage, so if you have bags be prepared to carry them or walk up the ramps to the front or rear entrances.

Wrap: If you have to be in the Medical District this hotel is perfectly located. It does have some minor inconveniences, but the staff and location make up for them.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage, you should probably unload at check-in so that you are not having to w...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Jimmy S
Texas Gulf Coast, Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Was in Houston for a family having surgery. Front desk & driver were both very courteous and helpful. Stayed in the standard room. Have been at this hotel before but in a 2 suite. Much larger with a kitchen. The location was the main reason for choosing this room. We could walk to most hospitals.They did let us have an extra hr for check out & we could leave the car longer in their lot.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Queenu
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Dead Rat Found Under My Bed at the Best Western Plaza
6700 S. Main Street Houston, TX 77030
Near Medical Centre.

I don't recommend this Hotel for any patient undergoing Chemotherapy, An Infection can be fatal.

I called the Police to protect My rights but they made Me pay My stay, Including the evening I left the Best Western.
My rights where not respected, I caution all foreigners to avoid this Hotel, You will be abused.
Stayed July 2012

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TaNjA S
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My daughter and I took a short vacation in Houston. Initially, we were pleased with our room. It was clean and neat. Our first disappointment was after a late dinner out, we circled the parking lot and couldn't find a parking space. We weren't alone. Eventually, squeezed into a small questionable spot. Our second disappointment was NO HOT WATER! Unbelievable. I told the people at the front desk and was ignored. I paid 105. For that. Unbelievable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I was in Houston for eye surgery. This Best Western gives a medical discount. The king sized bed room was $100.00 with the discount. Everything was very clean and the bed and pillows were comfortable. They have a hot breakfast. They had sausage, egg patties, biscuits and gravy, waffles and all the other usuals. We did not use the pool, but we did look at it. The water was murky. I would not have gotten in it. The location was perfect for my surgery. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business