“Heavenly”

Westin Galleria Houston Hotel
Ranked #109 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed September 1, 2010

"Heavenly" stay in every way. Upon my arrival, valet's Kevin and Matt welcomed me with big smiles as if they were awaiting MY arrival. As I slipped through the lobby doors, the oasis of soothing sights, sounds and scents of White Tea, Westin's trademark fragrance, wrapped itself around my senses. The tastefully decorated lobby invites you to "escape" as the front desk staff Reece and Clint warmly welcome you to embrace a carefree stay of relaxing and rejuvenation. (Thanks Danny for taking care of my reservation, it was flawless) As a elite preferred SPG member/owner, I was placed on the one of the "preferred" floors overlooking the beautiful Galleria area, a greatly appreciated gesture, thanks guys. NOTE: this property no longer offers a "club floor", a bottle of water is located in your room and choice of Houston Chronicle or USA today delivered to your room)

The elevators worked great for me, contrary to what has been mentioned in other Trip Advisor reviews. The halls and carpets are beige/tan color on color, very calming and clean. My room was on the 20th floor, a preferred SPG floor . . . to say it was AMAZING would be an understatement! It was very large and comfortable, reminding me somewhat of the Westin Times Square, however much larger! The spacious room not only had a King Heavenly Bed, it had two wing chairs and an office area. My room was exceptionally clean, housekeeping is to be commended. The bathroom was very fresh, updated with a Heavenly shower head, stainless hardware and a comfortable bathtub for my bubble bath (my way of relaxing). The White Tea shampoo/conditioner and bath soap grants permission to soak up the Westin Renewal experience, one of which I look forward to.

My experience at this property has me yearning to return. In order to give this property an accurate unbiased review, I am going back this next weekend, labor day. I am trusting my experience will once again prove to be more than I expected. Maybe I'll see more of the Galleria Mall this trip! :)

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2010

Dear Ngerding, thank you so much for your wonderful review of our newly transformed Westin Galleria Hotel. At Westin, we aim to provide our guests with an escape to an upscale and serene environment and we are thrilled you were completely satisfied with the accommodations we have to offer. Our staff is also very consistent in delivering outstanding service to our guests and we are delighted Kevin, Matt, Reese and Clint left a lasting impression of the great service you experienced. We are exhilarated you enjoyed your visit and we hope to have you back as our guest. Warmest Regards,

Reviewed August 29, 2010

less than welcoming check-in.....tv remote had chewed bubble gum on it.....television itself had frequent interference on several channels.....no tv channel guide and when we did get a list, it was from 2008.....no hotel or galleria guide to be found.....no room service menu or info anywhere.....if no valet parking, it's an abortion..... you charge a daily fee for the internet? -- that's embarassing..... we enjoyed the galleria and our time together, but the hotel experience wasdeeply disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank johnnym_10
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2010

Dear Johnnym_10, Thank you for taking the time to communicate your thoughts regarding your experience at our hotel. I apologize your stay was absolutely nothing how you envisioned it in regards to service you encountered at check-in, failure to provide room service menu, mall brochure and updated television guide. We also regret the additional challenges you experienced when attempting to use the television remote control as well as the television. We agree this is completely unacceptable and certainly not what any guest should experience, especially in a hotel of our caliber. However, please know this experience is not the standard, but an exception. Again, we deeply regret your stay was less than perfect. We appreciate you taking the time to share you experience with us and for the opportunity to respond. Warmest Regards,

Reviewed August 27, 2010

Stayed at the Westin in May 2010 during a business trip. Room I was in was renovated and pretty much OK except for the air conditioning that was so noisy it had to be shut down in order to sleep - which leaves you no other choice than to enjoy a night in the sauna...Hotel's pool is situated on a windy roof with an awfull view on the neighbouring air conditioning systems. To keep things short i recommend to stay at the nearby Omni hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank gogolino

Dear Gogolino, we are glad you were able to experience one of our newly transformed rooms at our hotel, however, we deeply regret the challenges you encountered with the cooling system in the room you occupied. I personally understand how something of this nature can be frustrating and inconvenient to say the least and I truly empathize with you. Attempting to sleep in a room with no air conditioner is painful and truly unpleasant and I understand the negative impacts this had on you. At Westin, we aim to provide our guest with an escape to a serene and tranquil environment and deeply regret on this occasion we failed in delivering on our promise. Again, we apologize for the experience you had in our hotel and sincerely regret what you had to endure. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with invaluable feedback, as it gives us an opportunity to improve and correct the challenges you encountered. Warmest Regards,

Reviewed August 24, 2010

I entertain a group of good friends who come down from Minnesota every summer for a girls' getaway. We thought staying at a Westin Hotel meant a very nice experience, PLUS the added benefit of being connected to Houston's best shopping mecca, the Houston Galleria. Check in went fairly smooth, maybe because I'm a Starwood Preferred member, but the room was not up to Westin standards. Besides the fact that we had a view of a building's roof (I didn't think Starwood members were supposed to get the worst view in the building!), which blocked us from seeing anything else beyond, the duvet cover was dirty -- actually had food crumbs/stains on a portion that indicated that the duvet cover clearly had not been changed before we arrived. The Galleria Mall was the saving grace for the trip. We're planning our get-together in September this year, and I think we'll be looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank allykatford

Dear Allykatford, Our loyal Starwood preferred guests should receive the benefit of being assigned a room on our SPG floors as well as an additional array of added benefits. On this occasion, it seems you were assigned a room on a lower floor with a not so pleasant view. At Westin, we take pride in delivering the heavenly bed and bedding to our guests and we are sincerely sorry for the state in which you found the duvet. This is unacceptable to say the least, and words cannot explain how sorry we are for the experience you had in our hotel. However, I can assure you this is not the standard, but an exception. I was pleased to see, at the very least, your check-in experience went fairly smooth. Please know your comments are invaluable in helping us identify opportunities for improvement and we certainly appreciate the feedback. Warmest Regards,

Reviewed August 18, 2010

I travel on a weekly basis for work. Most of my territory is in Texas within the retail world. I only book SPG anytime I travel. I will definately not be booking this hotel in the near future. It's a shame considering how conveniently it's located to where I have to work. The hotel and rooms need to be updated. I keep hearing that it just got renovated...Honestly I don't see where. Check out the westin Galleria in Dallas. That's renovated! Thats a beautiful hotel with gorgeous rooms and amazing customer service. Here I got treated like an ordinary guest. Got put in a horrible room on the 7th floor near the elevators. Had to call to ask for water since mini fridge is not available anymore. They told me to go to the gift shop. SPG members get free water. Last night before I had an early flight. I had 7 hang up calls, and eventually decided to call downstairs to let them know. Guess what their response was: "mam what would you like me to do about that" whatever just don't stay there.....

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank smolov1
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2010

Dear Smolov1, as a Starwood preferred member, you should have been placed on a SPG floor as well as received your complimentary water. Please know that we do try our best to accommodate everyone’s room preferences, however, depending on our occupancy and availability sometimes this is not possible and we are sincerely sorry the room you occupied was adjacent to the elevator. With regards to the condition of our property, our hotel has undergone a major multi-million dollar transformation and we are sorry if our transformation fell short of your expectations. Regarding the undesired calls you received, we certainly agree the response you received from our associate was completely unacceptable and this could have been handled in a much more professional manner. At Westin, our staff aims to consistently deliver the highest quality of service and we sincerely regret on this occasion we failed to deliver on our promise. We hope in the future you give us another opportunity to make a better impression and please know that we are truly sorry your recent stay was less than perfect. Warmest Regards,

Reviewed July 23, 2010

I had a reservation for this place and walked! PASS on this one!!! I went to check in and I am platinum and travel more then 300+ days a year. They not only did NOT upgrade me they placed me by the elevator in a crappy room. This was advertised as a complete remodel NOT SO MUCH! The valet parking is impossible! When I got through to the lobby I was greeted and rudely treated by the front end manager. I should be so lucky to stay there. I DON"T THINK SO. Someone should remind them that they need to treat their customers better! I went up and walked after seeing my room. I have stayed in newer rooms and better locations. I would stay at aloft around the corner. THEY DO GIVE ***** star service! EXPENSIVE and NOT WORTH IT!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Geekontherun
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2010

Geekontherun, we are sincerely sorry for the experience you recently had in our hotel. We truly appreciate our platinum members and we are always more than happy providing upgrades. However, upgrades are only available based on availability. I understand your frustrations with being placed in a room next to an elevator and that is unacceptable especially since you are a platinum member. The treatment you experienced upon entering our lobby is also completely unacceptable and not what any guest should encounter especially in a hotel of our caliber. At Westin, our staff is very consistent in delivering amazing customer service; please know that this experience is not the standard, but an exception. With regards to our recent multi-million dollar transformation, our hotel has undergone through some very extensive changes that many of our guests have raved about and we are sorry if our transformation did not meet your expectations. Again, we deeply apologize your stay in our hotel was less than perfect. If, you would like to give us another opportunity to make a better impression simply, call the hotel and request me. Warmest Regards,

Reviewed July 21, 2010

This hotel is located in the center of Houston's finest business and shopping area in the best most upscale mall in the South, The Galleria. The rooms which are recently renovated are better than any Westin I have stayed in and I am a Starwood Platinum member. It has a great workout room with access to a full spa on premises. The front desk personnel are extremely friendly and courteous. The Daily Grill which is the restaurant is extremely good. Management is available at all times to deal with any issues and courteous as well. This hotel is always my choice when in Houston.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business