“Unacommodating staff and dreary”

Westin Galleria Houston Hotel
Ranked #122 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Fresno, California
“Unacommodating staff and dreary”
Reviewed January 7, 2009

What a nightmare! Went to Houston with my 92 year old grandmother to attend my uncles funeral. I didn't take my laptop computer this time because I didn't feel it was nessesary and I had my iphone anyway. After arriving at the airport my iphone quit working! We checked into the Westin without any problems at a rate of $159.00 per night for each of our two rooms. As a Starwood member we were given rooms on the perferred guest floor. The hallways were dark and dreary, the rooms have stained, dirty furniture, my bed looked slept in, hairs on the bathroom floor and shower walls, the cordless phone in one room didn't work, missing and burnt-out light bulbs and dirty looking "indoor-outdoor" type carpets. I had relatives arriving in town from both coasts and no working cell phone!! I could not find hotel phone rates anywhere in the room and made several phone calls to inform relatives of the situation. I was charged over $70.00 for one call! I needed a phone book so that I could contact my cell phone carrier about geting a replacement phone but guess what? There are no phone books in the rooms, went to the front desk and was told there are no phone books in the hotel! (hello....they are free!) So, they collect revenue when you call 411 too!
As if all this wasn't reason to run, we decided that because of my elderly grandmother, it would be better to stay one extra night.
Called the front desk and they said no problem, the hotel wasn't full however they would have to charge $290.00 plus taxes per room per night unless I made the reservation on-line. Well, no laptop and no iphone! A relative called the hotel to ask if there was a computer I could use and were told that I could use the computer in the business center. So I went down to the front desk, explained my situation and was promply told the business center was closed! All contact I had with staff was like dealing with robots, no emotion, uncaring and unwilling to help in any way. We promptly checked out and went to a Holiday Inn Express, what a difference, should have gone there in the first place!!

I will be sending my Starwood member card back to the corporate office (i'm sure they could care less). I will NEVER stay in any Starwood hotel again. The last two stays in a Starwood hotel have not been good. They are more on par with Motel 6. Don't walk but run from this hotel chain!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Everything in the hotel and the awful staff
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
leon gto
Reviewed December 31, 2008

great location.not enough facilities in the room, no body lotion, no coffee every day ,dirty in the halls etc. not good for a chain that sells themselves as luxury and confort.

• Liked — location and beds
  • Disliked — facilities in roon and cleaness
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Toronto
Reviewed November 19, 2008

It is not as bad as described by some recent travelers.
However, it does not meet the standard of other Westin hotels I stayed at. This is not a 4* property, maybe 3+.
My room was large, well equipped, but 2 lights bulbs were missing as was the TV convertor. Nothing major, but simply
anoying. On the positive side - bed is great. Hotel needs a face lift. Intercontinental and Hotel Derek are just close by and they provide more for less money.
Maybe management should be more assertive.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — breakfast place is outside the hotel
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Peter D
London UK
Reviewed November 5, 2008

As travel industry staff we were able to book a standard room at about 50% discount, but even then it was only just acceptable. We certainly wouldn't pay the 297 dollars a night originally quoted. It bills itself as a higher class hotel but faciltiies were no better than a Travelodge or other motel type. The decor throughout was drab and dreary and in need of brightening up. Our room on the rear of the 6th floor was overlooked by the car park of the Galleria and our outlook was of concrete walls and some sort of generator.
The location attached to Galleria was good but on returning from the bright and glitzy shopping area the hotel just seemed depressing in contrast. The breakfast in the restaurant was nicely cooked but only average portions and extremely pricey.
The best bit were the beds, very comfortable indeed being deep but few of the sheets or covers fitted properly.
Don't be fooled into paying for valet parking. There are thousands of free spaces right next door but you have to be careful to know your way back to the hotel as it isn't signed for walking back from your car.
One Bellhop was particualrly friendly and helpful but what few other staff we saw seemed preoccupied. Perhaps they concentrate on business customers and tourists are beneath them?
We'd say good location, but try staying at any other of the several hotels/motels in the same area for half or even quarter of the price - you won't be missing out anything.

• Liked — Beds and shower
  • Disliked — decor and price
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Wildroamer
Texas
Reviewed October 31, 2008

The staff was great but this place really needs an update. the hallway on my floor smelled damp - like mildew. The room the carpet needed deep cleaning or replaced. The chairs in the room were horrible and I was afraid to sit in one of them - they were grungy and threadbare so I don't think that deep cleaning would help.

On the positive side, the Westin Heavenly Bed was nice as always, there was a safe in the closet, the room was quite large and the food from room service was actually good.
I also liked the location - right in the middle of the Galleria :-)
We had a decent rate because of the conference I attended, but I would probably try another one of the upscale hotels in the area if I were there on my own -- you get what you pay for.

• Liked — Proximity to great shopping and the size of the room. Would be good for girl's weekend shopping.
  • Disliked — The old carpet, chairs, and smell of mildew in the hallway
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Happy_to_Assist, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2008
Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for providing such valuable feedback, as it gives us an opportunity to improve and correct our service. It also lets us know what we are doing well.

I apologize that your stay wasn't as expected. However, I wanted to let you know that we are already in the process of planning upgrades and renovations. We have already replaced all the beds throughout both hotel towers (Westin Galleria and Westin Oaks). We have replaced all television sets throughout, as well with 37" flat screen LCDs. The next step is to upgrade our channel line up, but that can't be done until our contract is up with our previous provider. We are also replacing carpeting as rooms are available to do so. The next step starts in early 2009 where we will be updating the rooms with new carpeting and furniture, basically new decor. There are bigger projects ahead, but to ensure the least amount of inconvenience for our guests, we will be doing all this gradually.

I'm sorry that your stay wasn't as pleasant as we would have liked, but please know that we are excited about the changes that are going to occur and will bring us back to the Westin Brand standard our loyal guests expect.

If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me at francene.duncan@westin.com or you can call the hotel at 713-960-8100 and request me.

Thank you for your time. I hope we get another opportunity in the future to make a better impression. Take care and have a wonderful day!

Francene Duncan
Guest Relations Coordinator
Westin Galleria & Oaks Houston Hotel
Dothan, Al
Reviewed October 20, 2008

I stayed at the Houston Galleria for a week to attend a conference in May. I assumed that the Westin would be a great place to stay, but I was wrong. I checked into the first of approx 6 rooms and each was less apealing in one way or another than the last. The third room that I checked out, I actually stayed in for the week. The fourth room I went to, I walked in on another female already in the room. I think between switching keys, someone else had been given the room. The room I finally accepted was a lesser of all the bad rooms. Most of the rooms had stained carpet, the room I stayed in had stains on the furniture, the outlets near the bed that would be used to plug in a cell phone charger or anything else were behind the bed and I wouldn't dare reach behind the bed (for fear of touching something undescribable). I felt uncomfortable the entire week. I came with a group of five others, two of my counterparts changed rooms twice. My room was at the end of a long, dark, dank hallway with stained floors. The floor near the elevator had a large unsightly stain. The sliding glass door was dirty, the air condition kept me freezing throughout the night, no matter what temp I turned it on, it was freezing. I would keep the patio open as long as I could at night to stay warm. They did send someone to check the vent, whomever it was unscrewed the vent and thats about it. (I know they went in the vent because they left the whitel crackled paint on the carpet underneath the vent) While attempting to pull the curtains, I cut my finger on the metal beads that were hanging as a curtain pull ( the larger connector bead on the strand). The chairs to the desk were not clean, the end tables near the chair were filthy, on top and beneath. I did report my concerns to the hotel and I contacted a customer rep, they returned my call and apologized, which did not make me feel any better. I was given guest points, which I will problably never use, I don't have a good feeling about the hotel chain after that experience.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide such valuable feedback. It truly is appreciated and it gives us an opportunity to improve and correct our services and property.

I am truly sorry that your experience with us was less than pleasant and you left our property feeling the way you did.

Please be assured that your comments have been forwarded to all the appropriate department managers for review and resolution.

Also, I'd like to let you know that we are planning some upgrades and renovations throughout our property. We have replaced all the beds throughout and the television sets. The television channel line up is also going to be updated once our current contract expires. We are planning to make changes to the guest rooms starting early 2009. The renovations and upgrades will be very gradual so as to limit the inconvenience to our guests during the transition.

We have many other larger scale projects in the works, that will start taking place next year as well and we will do our best to limit the inconvenience, however, we do appreciate the patience of our guests while we get our hotel to the Brand standard our loyal guests expect and deserve.

If I can be of further assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at francene.duncan@westin.com or you can contact me at the hotel at 713-960-8100.

Thank you for your time. Take care and have a wonderful day!

Francene Duncan
Guest Relations Coordinator
Westin Galleria & Oaks Houston
Ciudad Juarez, Mexico
Reviewed August 12, 2008

I stayed there during a weekend, the staff was very helpful and kind, I absolutely love that the hotel is a part of the mall and all the stores that are on it. However I found some things that i didnt like, for example, the shampoo and conditioners quality was not good, the shower was dirty, the coffee maker was a little dirty too. The beds are the best ever, the view was great and the magazines they had on the desk where a great orientation. All in all the stay was great and i would love to stay there again.

• Liked — the beds
  • Disliked — the bathroom
  • Stayed June 2008
1 Thank myraje
Dear Guest,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your wonderful review of our property. I wanted to thank you for taking time out of your day to do so.

We are truly glad that you enjoyed your stay and would be happy to assist you with any future reservations the next time your travels bring you to Houston.

Please don't hesitate to contact me at francene.duncan@westin.com and reference this review and I'd be happy to help.

Thank you, again. Take care and have a wonderful day.