“Great stay”

Westin Galleria Houston Hotel
Ranked #106 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed August 12, 2008

I stayed there during a weekend, the staff was very helpful and kind, I absolutely love that the hotel is a part of the mall and all the stores that are on it. However I found some things that i didnt like, for example, the shampoo and conditioners quality was not good, the shower was dirty, the coffee maker was a little dirty too. The beds are the best ever, the view was great and the magazines they had on the desk where a great orientation. All in all the stay was great and i would love to stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank myraje
Happy_to_Assist, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2008

Dear Guest,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your wonderful review of our property. I wanted to thank you for taking time out of your day to do so.

We are truly glad that you enjoyed your stay and would be happy to assist you with any future reservations the next time your travels bring you to Houston.

Please don't hesitate to contact me at francene.duncan@westin.com and reference this review and I'd be happy to help.

Thank you, again. Take care and have a wonderful day.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,010)

Reviewed August 4, 2008

My family and I went on a cross country road trip from Nevada to North Carolina. We stayed at several different hotels at different prices ranges and different themes and styles. Mainly based on convenience to the location we were visiting.

Location was very convenient. It was located inside a shopping mall and close to all the areas we wanted to visit. The mall is like every other mall....a little "fancier" than others.

I was a bit disappointed with this particular Westin. As it was nice, spacious and clean.......the atmosphere was a bit "stuffy" more geared towards business type travelers.

In price comparison, I could have stayed in the Westin in Maui, HI for less........so imagine my disappointment in this hotel in Houston.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2008

After reading some of the other reviews, I was a little bit concerned about my stay. However, I was attending a conference at the Westin and decided not staying at the host hotel would be more inconvenience than it was worth.

I arrived around 11pm after flight delays and a few wrong turns from the airport. Check in was smooth and the room was fine. The heavenly bed was as heavenly as in other Westins and the bathroom was acceptable - a few hairs from an incomplete cleaning, but nothing that scared me too much. Westin standards? Perhaps not, but nothing to warrant changing rooms.

The location right inside the Galleria was great for shopping and breakfast at Starbucks (considerably less expensive than the hotel restaurant) and convenient to the businesses in/around the area.

One minor frustration was the coffee pot in the room -- it appeared to be one of the "pod" type pots; all of the coffee packages were regular sized. I asked at the front desk a few times for the correct coffee, but never received it. I finally realized that what was in the room would work, but was never told as much by the front desk. If I had to find something to gripe about, that and the somewhat limited free parking would be it.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Happy_to_Assist, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2008

Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for taking time to provide the feedback reference your most recent stay at the Westin Galleria.

I'm glad that your stay was, for the most part, pleasant. But please be assured that I will address your concerns with the appropriate department managers.

If I can be of assistance to you in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel or by e-mail francene.duncan@westin.com.

Take care and thank you again.

Reviewed June 18, 2008

I recently stayed at the Westin Galleria solely to attend an event. Before my trip, I read the various reviews posted here, but I decided to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt since I have had great experiences at most of the Starwood family hotels that I have stayed at previously. This was also my first trip to the area and I wanted to stay close to the actual event. It also appeared that guests of the many nearby hotels had similar problems to those that were related to the Westin.
Upon check-in, I was told that the type of room that I reserved was unavailable, but that I was being "upgraded" to a Preferred Guest floor. I must have raised an eyebrow at that because the man checking me immediately mumbled "which you would be on anyway, since you are a preferred guest" (and I have been for about 10 years). Apart from a longer ride on the elevator (not to mention the wait, but more on that later), the only other perk related to this "upgrade" was a free bottle of water each day (which was offered to other guests at $5.00). That was appreciated, but that could not make up for the "upgraded" room that I was placed in.
Upon first glance, the room looks like the modern, clean room that you see on the Westin's website. The more I looked around and the more lamps I turned on, the more I realized how disgusting the room was.
At first I was looking at nit-picky things-a mirror that was losing its edging, large scratches on every piece of furniture, spots on the carpet; then I started noticing the dust pile-ups on the lampshades, nightstands, and telephones. Then I realized that the spots on the carpet were hard and crunchy. I looked in the bathroom and saw a huge pile-up of dust on the air vent, some rust, soap scum, and mildew in the shower, and dirty tiled floors. (Another kicker in the bathroom: the water for the shower would not rise above a lukewarm temperature.)
All of this I could actually see and made me feel uncomfortable, but what I noticed next made me afraid of what was behind the walls that I could not see.
When I went to adjust my air conditioner temperature, I noticed that the wall paper near the unit was warped all the way down to the carpet. I looked up and saw that there were stains on the celing where it met the walls. I could hear water trickling throughout the night and I realized that there could be a mold problem if there was that much moisture around the unit. Needless to say, I did not get any sleep that night and eventually went down to the lobby to use the wireless service to look up on the internet some other area hotels to move to (I would have had to pay extra to get online in my own room). In the end, I decided to stay, partly because many of the other area hotels seemed to be on par with this one and because my event was going to be starting within the hour and I would be busy with activities for it all day long. However, during the day I was still bothered by the whole situation. I do not like to complain about trivial things, but there was so much that was adding to my overall disappointment in the hotel, that I decided to spend my dinner break on resolving the issue. I decided to just ask the front desk if a King room (what I had reserved) had opened up. I wasn't going to mention my other concerns, but I did think that if there was a potential mold issue, they should be made aware of it. When I attempted to go down 2 floors to the lobby, there was a huge wait for the elevator (at least 20 minutes), but luckily I did not have to wait as long to speak to someone at the front desk. The man that helped me was very understanding and located another room for me immediately. He even allowed me to go and take a look at it before moving in. Of course, I had to spend another 20 minutes waiting to go up the elevator and by the time I got to the new room, I just checked to make sure that the shower was clean and had hot water and the wallpaper was smoother near the air conditioner. It was, so I then had to wait for another elevator to go back down, claim the keys to my old room (they were holding them at the front desk), and relay back to the front desk that the new room was ok. After that, I had to wait again to go back up to my old room, gather up my stuff (which was quite a bit, because of the supplies I needed for the event), and move it all to my new room. After all of this, I had to return to my event without getting a chance to grab dinner. I thought maybe the management would at least follow up on my satisfaction with the new room, but I heard nothing, not even an apology. That was upsetting because the whole process was so time consuming to resolve and I later ended up noticing some stains resembling blood on the bathroom door and some similar damage around the air conditioner, but I decided to let it go. This was one trip where I really was not spending much time in the room and I could end up playing musical rooms all weekend.
I paid a discounted rate for the room and was extremely disappointed, but I would be outraged if I paid the going rate of $250-$300. If you do not know much about the area and you need to be at the Galleria or the convention center at the hotel, I would recommend looking at the other nearby options. It appears that from most of the other hotels you could reach an entrance to the Galleria in about a block or two's walk and from there you can walk through the mall in comfort to where you need to be. Most of the complaints that I see posted here are related to the age of the hotels and that the "updates" are not much more than new bed linens and curved shower curtain rods, so if you are picky about cleaniness, I would look for a hotel that is fairly new and be wary that "updated" can mean many different things.
I have posted some pictures of both rooms, so you can decide for yourself if there may be some serious issues at this hotel or if I was just being paranoid!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank Cocowheats
Happy_to_Assist, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2008

Dear Cocowheats,

I have read your review of the Westin Galleria and want to thank you for your feedback as it provides us with an opportunity to improve and correct our service and property.

We apologize for the challenges you encountered and understand that even if you don't have the opportunity to spend a lot of time in your room you still expect a certain amount of cleanliness and comfort.

Please be assured that I have addressed your concerns with all appropriate departments.

We are actually in the process of developing a plan for some improvements to the hotel. These improvements will take place over the next 5 years or so. We are hoping to avoid as much inconvenience to our guests as possible while we do the improvements, however, we do expect that there will be some growing pains involved.

Your concerns are completely valid and are all being addressed in the updates that we plan to do. We have recently replaced all the beds throughout the hotel. We are in the process of replacing the carpeting as the rooms are available for us to do so. We are upgrading our televisions to LCD Flatscreens in the next few months. The other updates are still in the planning process. However, please feel free to contact the hotel and we'd be happy to update you on the progress.

When calling you can request the Guest Relations Coordinater, Francene. I would be happy to assist with any questions, comments or concerns.

We are truly sorry that your stay wasn't very pleasant. We strive to provide personal and instinctive service, but we will use your comments as a training opportunity and ensure that we address your concerns appropriately.

Thank you for your time. Take care.

Reviewed April 6, 2008

My family and I stayed at this hotel over a weekend. We first tried the Westin Oaks (sister hotel w/in Galleria) but it was unacceptably dirty and run-down. The hallways in the Westin Galleria were dark and dingy. Our room was also too dark and the carpet and chairs were stained. This is not what you would expect for a "4 star" hotel. It, along with the Westin Oaks, needs to be cleaned and renovated in order to live up to their rating. Obviously, Westin thinks it can get away with not keeping up these 2 hotels because of their convenience to the Galleria. If you are looking for a place near the Galleria, try the JW Marriott across the street. It was very nice and only a minute walk from the Galleria.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank TXaustinite
Reviewed March 24, 2008

I stayed at the Westin Galleria on a business trip. I thought the location was perfect, being from Europe I landed in the middle of shopping heaven!

I have to agree with other reviewers that the rooms in the hotel do need a makeover, they are rather outdated, stuffy and smelly.

On the contrary, I did like the bed a lot, the gym had all the equipment I needed for a quick workout and the restaurant in the hotel has good breakfast and is nice for dinner and drinks.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed March 23, 2008

Thankfully I paid the conference price for my stay, otherwise I would have been severely disppointed to have paid full price! This is an old Westin revamped with new bed linens (white and stain-free!!) and a curved shower curtain bar. If you have stayed at newer Westins, prepare to be disappointed.

First, let's just get the bad stuff out of the way. The website advertises a happy hour type event called "Unwind" at Shuckers with appetizers and beer tasting, so I inquired about it at the front desk and no one knew what I was talking about. Come to find out that Shuckers is a bar halfway down the mall and there are no appetizers or beer tasting, just discounts on a few beers on tap. Back at the room, I decided to freshen up before the meeting and found the water in the bathroom to be scorching hot! Would be great for pouring a cup of tea and steaming the wrinkles out of my clothes, but there is no fan or heat lamp in the bathroom, so even a plain shower builds up enough steam to impair sight and set off the smoke alarm. Figured out that cracking the door open for a half hour or so will clear out the bathroom without setting off the smoke alarm. As for sleeping, the bed was too firm for me and the walls are paper thin. There was a salsa competition/party until four in the morning that day, and I sure had wished that I had brought earplugs.

The conference facilities were rather dark. And if they section out the ballroom, the air circulation is so bad that one section is cold while the other is hot. The sit down meals were fantastic though! The box lunch on the last day was horrendously bland and very uncharacteristic of the meals we had enjoyed all week.

All that being said, the hotel's main redeeming quality is that it is in the middle of the fourth largest mall in America. I only left the premises once all week to go the Space Center. And I'm not that crazy about malls, but this one was worth exploring (i.e. getting lost and trying to find my way back!) Also, in Westin fashion, there is a bowl of apples on each floor for the guests to enjoy. There was also a bowl of fruit in the gym. And yes, the lobby is nice with lots of sitting room if you plan to hang out there. Although the staff is not so knowledgeable on all things Westin, they were still very courteous.

All in all, it was an average stay.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business