“Overpriced for an Average Hotel”

Westin Galleria Houston Hotel
Ranked #122 of 507 Hotels in Houston
High Point, North Carolina
“Overpriced for an Average Hotel”
Reviewed March 23, 2008

Thankfully I paid the conference price for my stay, otherwise I would have been severely disppointed to have paid full price! This is an old Westin revamped with new bed linens (white and stain-free!!) and a curved shower curtain bar. If you have stayed at newer Westins, prepare to be disappointed.

First, let's just get the bad stuff out of the way. The website advertises a happy hour type event called "Unwind" at Shuckers with appetizers and beer tasting, so I inquired about it at the front desk and no one knew what I was talking about. Come to find out that Shuckers is a bar halfway down the mall and there are no appetizers or beer tasting, just discounts on a few beers on tap. Back at the room, I decided to freshen up before the meeting and found the water in the bathroom to be scorching hot! Would be great for pouring a cup of tea and steaming the wrinkles out of my clothes, but there is no fan or heat lamp in the bathroom, so even a plain shower builds up enough steam to impair sight and set off the smoke alarm. Figured out that cracking the door open for a half hour or so will clear out the bathroom without setting off the smoke alarm. As for sleeping, the bed was too firm for me and the walls are paper thin. There was a salsa competition/party until four in the morning that day, and I sure had wished that I had brought earplugs.

The conference facilities were rather dark. And if they section out the ballroom, the air circulation is so bad that one section is cold while the other is hot. The sit down meals were fantastic though! The box lunch on the last day was horrendously bland and very uncharacteristic of the meals we had enjoyed all week.

All that being said, the hotel's main redeeming quality is that it is in the middle of the fourth largest mall in America. I only left the premises once all week to go the Space Center. And I'm not that crazy about malls, but this one was worth exploring (i.e. getting lost and trying to find my way back!) Also, in Westin fashion, there is a bowl of apples on each floor for the guests to enjoy. There was also a bowl of fruit in the gym. And yes, the lobby is nice with lots of sitting room if you plan to hang out there. Although the staff is not so knowledgeable on all things Westin, they were still very courteous.

All in all, it was an average stay.

• Liked — Attached to the Galleria Mall (4th largest in America)
  • Disliked — Just barely Westin quality - and they know that the mall will ALWAYS generate business for them
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank MyDime

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed March 13, 2008

I stayed at the Westin Galleria in early March as part of a conference. I had read some of the previous reviews on TA, and, quite frankly, I don't understand all of the negative comments.

The lobby was nicely decorated with lots of comfortable chairs to sit in while checking email with the free wireless connection in the lobby. The check-in process was quick, and they even changed my reservation from two queen beds to one king (my preference).

My room was on the 19th floor and was very spacious. The bathroom was a little bit small, but otherwise I had a large workspace, and two very comfortable overstuffed chairs in the sitting area. There was a magnifying mirror in the bathroom, the Westin two headed shower head, and very fluffy bath towels and a robe. All of the amenities that you would expect from a four star hotel. The "Heavenly Bed" was extremely comfy, as advertised.

The fitness center is located on the 2nd floor, in the mall area, next to the gift shop. I loved that it had 24 hour access (we had a very early start one day, and I got there at 5:15 a.m.). It was very well equipped with brand new Life-Fitness Cardio equipment, several weight machines, free weights, and various other equipment. There were plenty of towels, sanitizing wipes, and a water cooler. One of the best hotel fitness rooms I've been in (plus no extra charge to use the facilities).

The business center (also located on the 2nd floor) personnel were very helpful. The conference facilities were top notch. The catering for the event was also some of the best that I've seen. All of the conference attendees that I talked to commented on how delicious the food was. TJ in business services was very helpful resolving an equipment issue that I had.

We had dinner one night at the City Grill (just turn left from the third floor of the hotel into the mall area). The food and service were both excellent.

The maid service was also excellent - my room was cleaned by noon both days.

I personally liked the hotel decor. I know some may not particularly like the color pallette, but that is a personal choice.

I highly recommend the hotel for both the business traveler, and for those planning a shopping weekend.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 28, 2008

I am surprised this chain lends its name to this hotel: the front lobby is dark and impersonal, it's overly seaweed monochromatic theme is dull to the eyes and the hallways have cracked/chipped crown molding.

The positives: check in was easy and they let patiently waited for me to retrieve my bags before I self-parked (I was told valet is $40 a day!). The work-out facility is pretty decent with several cardio machines, weight machines, exercise balls, medicine balls and free weights. The equipment was excellent, but this Westin missed out again because the room was big and impersonal with harsh lighting. Personally, I love natural lighting in gyms, it's more motivating.

Like I said before, the rooms themselves were pretty drab; they tried to have a calm, inviting tone to the room but it comes across as tired and outdated. I had a huge room that dwarfed a small double bed; seriously, no queen-size available? The carpet had a large stain in the middle of my room and the seating area consisted of two tiny, uncomfortable chairs. The disproportionate relative size of the room and furniture didn't make me feel at home at all.

• Liked — Workout machines
  • Disliked — Depressing color scheme and appearance
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Becca_C
Happy_to_Assist, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2008
Dear Becca_C,

In response to your review reference the Westin Galleria Houston . . . I do apologize that our property didn't meet your expectations. I am also sorry for any challenges that you encountered during your stay. We truly appreciate the feedback, as it gives us an opportunity to review and resolve them buecaust of guests such as you.

We are planning updates to the property (both Westin Galleria and Westin Oaks Houston). We have already replaced all the beds throughout both hotel towers. We are replacing carpeting as the rooms are available to do so. We are replacing the televisions in the room with LCD Flatscreen television sets in the next few months. The bigger projects are still in the development stages, but we expect to be complete in 5 years.

As for valet parking, the services are $27 (including tax) per day, but self parking is free as we share parking with the Galleria Mall.

As for the bed, it is actually a queen size bed. None of our rooms have full size beds, they are either one queen, two queen or 1 king size bed. We do our best to accommodate our guests requests, unfortunately due to the large desire of King size beds, those are taken very quickly. Even a room with 2 queen size beds is still quite spacious, though.

And the furniture, we are in the process of planning an update for that as well.

We truly appreciate the opportunity to address any challenges you encountered. So thank you for taking time to provide the feedback.

If your travels bring you back to Houston, please don't hesitate to contact me at the hotel. My name is Francene and I'd be happy to assist with a future stay, should you decide to give us a second chance to make a better impression. But please don't hesitate to contact us if you'd like an update. Take care.

Baton Rouge
Reviewed February 18, 2008

Hotel is very dated, way over priced and very humid, INSIDE the rooms(mold maybe?). When entering the lobby you will notice the smell immediately. The toilet in our room took at least 4 minutes to refill, very noisy. On a positive note, it IS connected to the Galleria. We could have stayed at the Hilton down the street and paid a driver to run us back and forth in a limo and still saved money and the rooms are new there. Side note: the management could put a sign at the third floor exit indicating that the hotel restaurant is located in the mall. We witnessed at least three other couples exit the elevators looking for the restaurant, without success.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank TyGERBATE
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed January 17, 2008

I stayed at the Westin for an overnight business trip. All in all, it was an OK hotel - certainly nothing mind-blowing. The room was in decent shape - bathrooms were pretty small. I was disappointed that there wasn't a hotel bar to be found- you had to go out in the Galleria shopping area to find a bar.

I thought the best attribute was the workout facility. This must have been their latest add-on - and it was top notch. Plenty of room and lots of equipment choices.

The location is great - right in the middle of everything. You can quickly access the mall and shop and eat in there if you want. I found the staff to be friendly and cordial, but not overly helpful.

On my next business trip, I'll likely look for another hotel to visit.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Not much to it.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank DHerrold73
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 4, 2007

Pretty mediocre. My phone didn't work when I arrived and they couldn't replace it. I called the front desk from my cellphone because they wouldn't answer the Service Express button or couldn't reach the Operator from my second phone. Wakeup call came 45 minutes late. Despite a sign stating there were certain amenities in the room, they weren't there (ie: Panna water). Clean comfortable room but that's it. Not a great advertisement for Westin.

• Liked — location for my business meeting
  • Disliked — service was on the lower scale
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank 649ic
waco, tx
Reviewed October 4, 2007

With so many hotels in Houston (especially in the Galleria area) I won't ever stay at this hotel again - there has got to be better options.

My problems began when we arrived at the hotel and spent an hour driving around trying to figure out which parking garage that we were supposed to park in - the instructions given to us by the valet were not correct, and I called the hotel twice and talked to two different people trying to figure out where to park and none of them were able to tell us. We finally ended up where we THOUGHT we should be and went to an elevator to get down to the bottom of the parking garage and the elevator was broken - we then found another spot next to the mall entrance (that said Westin on the door) but when we walked in we were in the middle of the mall - another call to the hotel and the person that answered still couldn't tell us where to go - finally frustred, hot, miserable and angry, we just went and valet parked (for a rate of $24 a night). No where were there signs directing hotel guests where to park!

I went in to the front desk to check in and complained about the parking to the front desk and the guy said he'd give me a $50 food and beverage credit - I asked him if he would comp our valet charges instead (for our 3 nights) and they wouldn't do it.

I then got to my room and tried to connect to the internet and I couldn't connect. I called the front desk to ask for help and they told me to call a help number - turns out it's a call center in India - I talked to the guy for 20 mins (barely able to understand what he was saying) and finally hung up. I don't believe that I should have to talk to a guy in India for 20 mins at a business class hotel. They should have automatically changed my room or sent a guy up to look at the connection. I ended up calling the front desk and after a bit of run around they finally gave me a new room (with internet that worked). So... over 2 hours from the time I arrived in front of the hotel I FINALLY was settled into my room.

The beds were fantastic and the room was OK - definitely dated - floorboards were scuffed, carpet stained, furniture chipped etc. The shower fixtures worked great but just looked old.

I was there for a conference and I the conference rooms did not have good sound proofing and the chairs were so uncomfortable everyone was constantly shifting in their seats.

Between the parking situation (where I believe they purposely don't tell you where to park so you will valet) and the internet problem - I will never stay at this property again.

Stayed September 2007