“Parking headache.”

Ranked #120 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Texas
“Parking headache.”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Very nice property with comfortable beds, clean rooms, great city views(if on higher floor).
The only problem I had was parking related. First I had difficulty finding the proper garage to park in, so I used valet.
I was there attending a meeting the next morning. At the meeting I was given a coupon of sorts to use for valet to be taken off of my room charge. But when I checked out, the coupon was refused because it said for "day parking" and I was an overnight guest. And no, the hotel would not deduct the $16 day fee from the $27 charge to my bill. Sigh.

No biggie, but I think that a first class hotel should have some leeway for guests in things like this. What was a good stay ended with me in a bad mood as I left the property. If I have a choice, I will stay elsewhere simply to avoid the parking hassle.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor away from elevator.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Greetings WMiller86, Thanks for taking a moment to share your Westin experience with us on Trip Advisor. It is uplifting to know you were able to experience and enjoy our spacious & modern room accommodations and signature Heavenly Bed. In regards to parking, I’d like to offer you my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered upon your arrival and departure. I would appreciate the opportunity to make things right, please reach out to me via email at Galle@Westin.com and reference this review. Thanks again for the insightful review and I look forward in hearing from you. Best Regards, Danny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Great if you have business in the area, or if you want to shop all day in the mall. Otherwise, just a practical, functional hotel in which to rest your head, without much in the way of creature comforts, or luxury. The saving grace is the outside pool, which offered a cool, refreshing change to an otherwise unremarkable stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Benjamin M, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Greetings WanderingWilbur,

Thank you for your review of our location on Tripadvisor.com. We are pleased that you found our pool and outdoor guest areas refreshing. We truly value all forms of feedback and would like an opportunity to follow up with you to gain any insights regarding your recent stay. Please feel free to contact me at Galle@westin.com. Thank you again for the review and we look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Palestine, Texas
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Terrific location in Galleria - full of shopping and restaurants. Rooms are average, AC good, beds wonderful. I am a Preferred Starwood member but was told I could not have Internet for my IPAD without paying $10 per day. Why is this still a problem in 2012? Every Best Western in America gives free Internet. If I was a silver Starwood I was in good shape. Why alienate your loyal customers? $27 for valet rather expensive too. (can't I have Internet if I pay $27 per day to park?). Rooms next to elevators are not very soundproof -lots of dinging. Staff was nice in letting me move. Please re-evaluate your policies. I will not stay at a Westin again because of the Internet issue.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear Rachel53, Thanks for taking a moment to share your Westin Galleria experience with us on Trip Advisor! We are glad you were able to experience and enjoy our heavenly bed, world- class service and one-of-a-kind convenient location to the fourth largest mall in the United States. In regards to parking, I must mention that you can also self-park for free if you choose not to valet park for $27. Our apologies for failing to make you aware of this during your stay. We are also constantly reviewing our internet policies, and this information will certainly assist in our future decisions. Thanks again for the feedback. Be Well, Danny
Fresno, California
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The hotel is nestled in the Galleria Mall (which is amazing and you can spend all day there). We had a great time there for meetings and the meeting rooms are very nice, well equipped and the staff went above and beyond for what we needed during the meeting. As soon as it was over, they were in there ready to set up for the next day's meeting. The lobby bar downstairs did smell a bit musty which freaked me out (I am deathly allergic to penicillin(mold)) so I stayed away from that but everything else was wonderful!!

Greetings lovept,

Thank you very much for your five star review of the Westin Galleria Houston. We are pleased that you enjoyed your experience regarding our meeting room and banquet facilities. We are also thrilled to hear that our staff delivered on the level of service we strive to maintain. We value your feedback and ensure that this information is relayed to our meeting and events team. However, we are embarrassed to hear about your experience regarding the lobby bar and will also address this information with the appropriate department. We appreciate you taking the time to provide your review and we look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night and was very un-impressed.
I am a Starwood Preferred member. Despite that, I was placed in room 1712 (which I suggest you avoid like the plague), which is on the "preferred" floor, but right next to the elevator. My entire room was shaking the whole night and I could hear every ding and every word outside.

I ordered breakfast to be delivered at 6:15 am before a long day of meetings. When my breakfast wasn't there at 6:35 (I had to leave the room at 7), I called to inquire. It turned out that my breakfast order wasn't in the system. After several frustrating calls, my breakfast finally made it to the room, though I had to practically inhale it to make my 7 am deadline. I also had to bring up several times that, because this was the hotel's mistake, they should not have charged me for it. After the first couple of discussions, I was told that I'd get a 50% discount. Since my breakfast wasn't steak and caviar (it was 2 eggs, toast, and fruit), it shouldn't have been a big deal for the hotel to offer to comp it since it was their mistake. The hotel then told me they would comp it. A fine resolution but the frustrating back-and-forth was unnecessary - this is something that hotel employees should have the good sense to offer right away in similar situations.

The internet was totally messed up and I couldn't get it to work (either wired or wireless).

Disappointing all around.

Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for three days while attending a conference. The room was large, quite and comfortable. The hotel's restaurant "City Grill" was efficient and served a good breakfast. Happy hour snacks were tasty and just the right size. The conference hall was comfortable and provided a good venue for the speakers.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
westin_oaks, Guest Relations Coordinator at Westin Galleria Houston Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
GWandCD, We appreciate your contribution and insight regarding your recent stay in our hotel, the Westin Galleria, Houston! At Westin, we strive to provide the most insightful and relaxing experience possible and we are truly delighted we delivered on our promise. It is very nice to know you felt very comfortable in our hotel and meeting rooms during your conference. Thanks so much for sharing your overnight stay/ conference experience with us on Trip Advisor. We look forward to your return! Be Well, Danny
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is a very nice hotel. It seems that some of the people on here are judging this hotel against some pretty high expectations which, I suppose, is quite reasonable considering that it's a Westin and not cheap. Still, some strike me as overly critical. Although the hallways seem a little dark and dingy, the rooms and public spaces are nice. I like the Westin Galleria in DALLAS more and, as I recall, the Westin Post Oak over on the other side of this mall seemed a little nicer. Still, I had no complaints about my stay here.

1 Thank FlyGuy47
Greetings FlyGuy47,

Thank you for your recent four star review of the Westin Galleria Houston. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and most certainly appreciate your feedback. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future if your travels bring you back to the Houston Galleria area.

Kind regards,