“Good hotel!”

The Lancaster Hotel
Ranked #1 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed August 24, 2007

We stayed at The Lancaster Hotel in July 2007 as it was very close to Jones Hall theatre. The rooms only had King beds and a sofa. We had to get a rollaway in as well as there were 4 of us in the room. Check in was interesting - I had requested for a Non-smoking room and they told me they upgraded me to the 9th floor and when we got there, it was a smoking room. Yikes! Down again I went to change the room back to what I had originally. All I want is a non-smoking room and enough room to sleep in.

Very basic tolietries in the bathroom, the rooms were clean enough but could be cleaner. Had to valet the car and that was expensive! Didn't know Houston well enough to find the public parking.

The restaurant was pretty good. We had breakfast there. Service was impeccable.

All in all, it was an OK hotel to stay at.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Travellerforlife
Write a ReviewReviews (1,502)

Reviewed April 19, 2007

I had a single-night stay at the Lancaster on a brief business trip to Houston. The staff is terrific -- friendly and professional. The room was lovely and clean (although there were some old stains on the upholstery of the chair and ottoman in the room). And they kindly kept my luggage for me after I checked out but before I was to fly out my second day there. All excellent things. A few flaws, however: They refused to direct-bill my company (even though they have a longtime relationship with my company AND this arrangement was included in the reservation), so I had to use my own credit card. Breakfast room service was very nice -- food was on time and fresh -- but pricey. My $13 omelette and $5 oj turned out to run $30 with all the taxes and forced gratuities. (As though $18 for breakfast ain't expensive enough!) And in my queen-size room, the TV armoire was placed head-bumpingly close to the bed. The room was small, but there had to be some other way to arrange the furniture!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed April 6, 2007

I stayed at the Lancaster for a week during a business trip in March and had an excellent experience. I really enjoyed being in a classic building with great amenities and a super friendly and helpful staff. Normally, rooms in historic hotels can be cramped and run down, but my room was quite nice. They've got a great property and was very happy with my stay there. This is a great hotel for business, but would stay here for pleasure too. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed March 27, 2007

Stayed here 4 years ago; now it is a total dump. Ripped fabrics in room furniture, torn carpets, mold in shower, stinks everywhere from mildew. Not even a 2 star hotel, obvious they have not put a dime into this place in years. Waited 30 minutes for a $10 pot of tea from room service. Stench is really awful - staff told me it's an old building, so there will be a lot of mildew! I will never stay here again and am really sorry I am here now! Avoid this place even if it's the last hotel room in town!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank JMCRutland
Reviewed March 1, 2007

I have had a terrible experience with the Lancaster's reservation system. I called their number and was assured that I and a business collague would have a room. Then the reservation person called me later in the day to ask what date I needed. After that a person at the hotel desk called me to tell me that they were over-booked on my date and that they would need to send us to the Magnolia instead. Today I called and was told that the Magnolia was also over-booked and was told that they were sending us to the Inn at the Ballpark instead. When I asked what they could do to provide me with some compensation for the experience, I was told that the "next time" I stayed with them I would get a complementary upgrade. Since that is not likely to happen in my lifetime, the offer really amounted to zero. They clearly have serious operations problems. Stay away.

Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank ChicagoTraveler41
Reviewed February 15, 2007

We had tickets to a show and decided to stay in town rather than drive home. We had stayed at the Hotel Icon before and loved it but wanted to try a different downtown hotel. There was no bell service at check-in we unloaded our own bags since there is no driveway and we were blocking traffic while waiting. After check in a bellhop appeared with a cart for our one bag. The elevators are small so we had to wait 3 times because there wasn't enough room for the bellhop, the cart, and us - if anyone else needed a ride up. The room was small. There were no drawers to unload our clothes into. The closet was SO small that we couldn't unload our hanging clothes and hang the hanging bag - and this was for a one night stay. The furniture was threadbare, not charming antiques but garage sale castoffs. The bathroom was stark and uncomfortable I didn't like being in it. It didn't look or feel clean. I sent in the comment card but with mildly stated details of my disappointment and no one has ever called to discuss. Also, small uncomfortable bed. No coffee maker in room or morning coffee in lobby. There wasn't a trashcan in the room or bathroom - I had to call to get one brought up and she told me she had to get it from another room (uh- I didn't want to know that!) We paid more to stay here than at the Hotel Icon - please no one else make the same mistake.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy/HoustonSuburb
Reviewed February 3, 2007

We stopped staying at the Lancaster about 3 years ago because we thought it was getting run-down. This weekend we decided to try the Lancaster again for a weekend stay in the hopes that its owners (the Valencia Group) would have refurbished it. Bad news: they haven't. The upholstery on the couch in our room was stained and ripped, with the stuffing showing; the bed's mattress was lumpy and uncomfortable; the carpet was really grimy; the hallway smelled; the phone handset never worked and never was repaired (though we notified management); and the bathroom sink ran rusty water the first two times we turned it on. The tragedy is that in the mid-1990s, this was a lovely small hotel The hotel has a killer location (which is perfect for travelers who are in Houston for the opera, ballet, symphony or Alley Theater ), a nice staff (who despite failing to fix our phone problem are friendly, caring and attentive) and free wireless Internet access throughout the property. But for their rack room rate, one can do much better in downtown Houston and in locations that are still quite convenient to all the best cultural activities. We won't stay here again until there's evidence that it has been completely renovated and refurbished.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple