“Beautiful Historical Hotel!”

Ranked #1 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful Historical Hotel!”
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel and phenomenal service. Only 2 downsides were that during my stay the elevators were non operational and hotel should have provided me with an email communication since i had numerous files i needed to carry back and forth and secondly that I finished business a day prior to checking out and was not able to fly back home early because the cancelation policy requires a 36 hr minimum notice. First time i have experienced this during a business trip; I have been able to depart early with no penalties. Breakfast at the hotel was was delish. Hotel conveniently located to the downtown courthouse..plenty of restaurants near by....

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Warren
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed at The Lancaster to be close to Houston Grand Opera. We had a lovely large room, and enjoyed buffet breakfast daily. The room was clean and convenient. The only inconvenience was that one of the elevators was out of service, so that waits were sometimes unreasonably long.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I recently had the eminent pleasure of staying at the Lancaster for a couple of days while on business, and I LOVED IT! This hotel is absolutely one of the best I have ever visited! I had read some older reviews about the smell and a bit run down so I was a bit weary. Upon my arrival I found out they had just finished a full renovation of their lobby and rooms. I was very impressed with the lobby and my room. Wonderful job on therenovations

The staff there is Exceptional- warm, friendly, and welcoming. I had never been to Houston before, and they were so helpful in giving me my bearings. I chatted with them every evening to get suggestions on where to go, what to do, and how to get there. Impressively ,they were always more than happy to answer my questions. Everybody at the hotel always asked how I was doing? From when I would walk by a housekeeper to the gentleman who opened the door every time I would leave the hotel.

Cleanliness is a big deal for me and this place was SPOTLESS, both when I checked in and throughout my stay. The bed was super-comfy, and almost made me late to work a few times, because I just didn't want to get out of it! Wi-Fi was included in my total stay and was reliable and fast. Breakfast was included too, and the buffet was awesome! I'm not usually a big breakfast eater, but I was down there every morning.
Dinner in the restaurant was fantastic and their wine list was spectacular- definitely better than what you typically find in a hotel restaurant. Again the restaurant staff was amazing

The Lancaster truly made what normally would have been a long, dreary work trip seem almost like a vacation, and while I was happy to be heading home, I was sad to leave such a wonderful place. I will never stay anywhere else when I return to Houston!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Beverly D
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My husband and I have stayed at The Lancaster Hotel in Houston for the last eight years for a pre-Christmas holiday celebration with local friends. We just love staying at this lovely family-owned hotel in comparison to the large corporate ones. I can’t say enough good things about the hotel. The staff is outstanding! Each year they welcome us with open arms and big smiles – love the fact that the same personnel is there year after year – it always feels as though we’re “coming home”. They truly take wonderful care of us from the time we arrive until we leave. Love the new renovations….updated, but doesn’t take away from the historical look. The restaurant has a wonderful delicious selection and is a great dining experience for breakfast, lunch or dinner…plus we love Dino the bartender!! In addition, the location is absolutely perfect with its proximity to the theatres. To us, this is a five-star hotel with great management. Keep up the good work and we look forward to our next visit. Would highly recommend The Lancaster!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, OK
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here March 2014 for a weekend. This hotel is no longer special. Asked hotel to arrange transport from airport for my boss, his wife, my girlfriend & myself. Was told it would be black SUV, with driver waiting in baggage claim with sign. On arrival, not there. Called hotel, told driver had written down wrong day. So, took taxi. Boss not impressed, as he always uses limos.com. Hotel reimbursed taxi fare & upgraded me to a suite.

Suite sounded great but not special. Two small tv's. No trash can anywhere in sitting room. Old gold bar sink. Windows all dirty. Shower not upgraded like most high end hotels. Room ok but nothing special.

At hotel, only 2 elevators, one out if service. Long delays.

Girlfriend tried to order lunch from room service. Told not open till 4:00.

Asked hotel to arrange transport back to airport. They were to leave message in boss' room for departure time. Didn't. I had to tell them over breakfast.

Called front desk 45 min before departure to confirm hotel SUV to airport. Told scheduled. Checked out, no SUV. Bellman disappears to front desk to find out. Never returns. 5 min later we grab a passing taxi. Boss again unimpressed.

I've stayed at this hotel on 20+ trips to Houston over the years. That will be the last time I stay at The Lancaster.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Art918
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Our sincerest apologies for your less than favorable stay last weekend. We apologize for the mix up with your driver and we hope to make this up to you during your next stay. I would love the opportunity to discuss this with you over the phone. My direct line is 713-237-2753. Again, we are truly sorry for the negative experience that you had at the hotel. -Michelle M., Sales Manager
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2014

The Lancaster is a downtown Houston gem that's been restored into a sweet boutique hotel, with excellent rooms, a terrific bar and free wines at 5:00. As boutique hotels go, this one is a winner. Very comfortable, attentive staff and an excellent central location, walking distance to the bars and restaurants popping up in and around Main St. If you want a Sheraton, then book a Sheraton. If you want something unique and snazzy, stay here.

Added bonus: free passes to the nearby Houstonian fitness club.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Toronto
Reviewed March 20, 2014

In Houston for business. I work in the television industry and have to lug around quite a bit of equipment. Boutique hotels are usually tricky when it comes to gear. This hotel was very accommodating with storage. Great rooms, free breakfast, and a happy hour wine tasting everyday.

• Stayed March 2014