“Over the top staff”

Ranked #1 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Beaumont, Texas, United States
“Over the top staff”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I chose The Lancanster due to the availability of a shuttle and I love to stay at historical hotels. I was attending a concert at the Hobby Center and the location was also important. I knew that there was some construction going on, (which stopped at 5pm) but the rooms had already been remodeled. Speaking of the rooms...fabulous! The bed was most comfortable and the room was big enough for a sofa, chair, coffee table, and desk. I had 4 other people visit my room and there was plenty of area for everyone. Not much to look out from the window, but that is not a concern for me. The bathroom was really pretty, small, but ok for one person at a time. Now, the reason for the title of my review. it started with the young lady that I spoke with when making my reservation. Andrea was kind and did her best to make me happy with my reservation, which she accomplished. The front desk guy, please forgive that I don't remember his name, was the best! Always, I mean always, kind, considerate and even found me an item that I requested, because I had forgotten to bring it. He had some of the worst conditions to work in, a folding table and chair as the front desk, but never complained or stopped smiling. The Bistro, the restaurant located within the hotel, had great food and again, excellent service. There is a breakfast buffet that was really nice. The guys at Valet were very nice, never rude, although I know they were really hot standing outside. The shuttle was no problem and it even waited for us after the concert. For those that find it important, like me, the Wi-Fi is included with the price of your hotel room. Does the television matter to you? My room had a large flat screen hanging and can be swiveled to watch from the bed or the living room. Another important thing for me is that the room was cooled down before I walked in. It is the little things that matter to me. Do notice there is no pool which is of no importance to me, but may be to a family with children. I recommend this beautiful hotel and will stay there any time I am in the Theatre/Downtown area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lover_of_musik
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
We cannot thank you enough for kind words and this wonderful review. It is our goal to provide exceptional customer service to each and every guest and we are so very honored to serve you. We hope you come back to see the completed lobby - it will be beautiful! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Houston
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Lancaster hotel is the best kept secret in town. It is home away from home. The hotel is a family-owned hotel and you can tell. They treat guests as close friends; their location is beyond perfect for anyone going to the symphony, theater, or ballet. Over the years I have stayed at the Lancaster and my recent stay was celebrating birthday week - needless to say it started on the right note. The hotel staff despite going through renovations can’t do enough for you. Sevice is impeccable. Andrea (Stigliano) was sweet enough not only to send some flowers but some chocolates and fruit that I shared with my friend. Sarah (Demaret – front desk manager) has always accommodated all my requests during my visits. The Lancaster is a charming, historic hotel. The hotel is undergoing upgrades throughout and they are doing a marvelous job of keeping as much of the charm as possible but modernizing the hotel to accommodate for today's traveler. The upgraded rooms have a safe and refrigerator, the colors are much lighter with a “Ralph Lauren” look, but thank goodness the beds are the same and luxurious in every way possible; lots of closet space and the bathrooms have a very clean modern finish. The hotel provides a wonderfully yummy full breakfast and whilst they did not have the buffet during my last visit they did still provide breakfast from the A la Carte menu. My recommendation is to have the “The Lancaster”. In addition to the free breakfast the hotel has a complimentary Happy Hour as well as a Shuttle that takes you within 3 mile radius. The service is truly excellent - housekeeping was very prompt when they came to my rescue. I would most certainly recommend this hotel to anyone for business or pleasure who is looking for something special and being centrally located in downtown Houston.

Room Tip: Request for Room 706 or a room with a view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bhalla2
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
What a wonderful review. This has truly made our day! We strive to go above and beyond in our services for each and every guest. We are so very honored to be considered your 2nd home! We look forward to welcoming you again. Many thanks for the review. -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Houston, Texas USA
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I wanted to surprise my husband for his birthday on July 4, 2013. The Lancaster was the perfect spot due to the ideal location. I booked the July 4th package which included free valet parking, drink coupons, and breakfast as well as complementary transportation within 3 miles of the hotel. I was concerned that their current remodel of the hotel would be a problem but they assured me that the guests rooms were completed and that the lobby which was still under construction was discretely shielded from view. The newly remodeled rooms in the suite we stayed in were AMAZING! High end bathroom and upbeat comfortable decor. Our room was a perfect location to view the fireworks from Freedom over Texas. When entering our suite we were greeted with a nice bottle of wine and a special berry and chocolate truffle treat. We used the limousine service which was comfortable and punctual. All staff throughout our stay were most accommodating. We enjoyed a great breakfast with lots of choices! The remodel was as discreet as they had described during booking. Our stay could not have been better for my husband's birthday in this beautiful, quiet hotel. This is an awesome value and we will stay again in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so glad that you enjoyed the 4th of July package and our various amenities! We have spent many hours working on the hotel renovation so that we can offer the very best to each and every guest. It is nice to hear that you think so highly of our guest rooms. We hope to see you again in the future and it is such an honor to serve you! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Reviewed July 5, 2013

An excellent example of historic preservation done well. Rooms come standard with the technologies one expects, yet the aesthetic integrity of the historic building remains intact. Staff was friendly and helpful. The bed was incredibly comfortable, linens were soft and plentiful. I will go out of my way to stay at this hotel again, should I find myself in Houston.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank IowaArchitect
Thank you for the review! We take pride in our historic roots and our membership with the Historic Hotels of America. In fact, we are the only hotel in Houston to be a member of this prestigious organization. We are glad that you particularly enjoyed this aspect of the hotel. Thanks again and we hope to see you when your travels bring you back to Houston. -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 2, 2013

For the last 8 years I've traveled to Houston about once a month for business. I learned early on that this small classic hotel was the the best kept secret in downtown. It has the look and feel of a classic European hotel at a much lower price. The staff remembers me by name and the service has been consistently excellent. Although the facilities started to show their age a few years back, the current renovations has moved them to the top of their game. The bistro downstairs has a wonderful menu and bar. Their breakfast is my favorite, very cozy. (I recommend the Johnny Cakes). Because of the central location, and access to the free shuttle, I find I can do business all over downtown without ever driving my car.

Room Tip: This hotel is located in the heart of the arts district, so the higher up you are the better your vi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank william f
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
What an honor to be considered your home away from home! We know that business travelers like yourself expect nothing less than to have a welcoming room, a comfortable bed, and an excellent meal. We are glad that you enjoy the renovated rooms and amenities. We cannot thank you enough for your loyalty throughout the years. Thank you for choosing The Lancaster Hotel.
-Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Westport, CT
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Hotel is undergoing renovations, so the lobby was a bit of a mess. No business center or exercise room, but the restaurant was already done, and that was fine. Our rooms were on the 7th and 8th floors, with minimal noise from the street. I heard from a guest who was on a lower floor, and he said that road work made his room quite noisy; but we didn't have that problem. The room was very nicely done, with queen bed (set high off the floor), desk, couch, and nicely appointed bathroom. See photos. Breakfast buffet was not huge, but good: crisp bacon, scrambled eggs, hash browns, fruit, yoghurt, toast, pastries& danish, juice. All included with our room charge. Great location for patrons of the arts - across the street from theater, opera/ballet/symphony. The only thing I would have appreciated was the heads-up that the hotel was being renovated, but as it turns out, we didn't need the business center or exercise place. Generally, I think it is nice to offer a little freebie for guests to stay at a hotel under renovation - a discount on room rate, or perhaps free parking instead of $30 per day. But all that being said, the staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was nice, and the breakfast was ample. Room clean up was prompt on a Friday morning was prompt, but very late on Saturday - we were changing clothes at 3:30 and they hadn't done the room yet. But overall, a good location, nice room, good food.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nimby
We are so very glad that you enjoyed your renovated room and we thank you for your understanding regarding the lobby area. Thank you for your remarks and feedback. We hope to welcome you again when your travels bring you to Houston. -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.
Lyme, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Friends booked us into this hotel and we were simply astonished to discover we'd ended up in a hotel this good, this clean, quiet, and comfortable right in the center of such a huge city, directly across from Symphony Hall, and at such a very good price!! The staff members were genuinely friendly and knew their business well; the wine and cheese happy hour was attended by the on-duty manager; the three mile radius for the free limousine service was liberally extended and we used the service frequently and were delighted with it. The free breakfast put all competitors to shame. Be sure to give the restaurant a try for dinner despite any prejudices against dining in hotels: its food and service were superior to all but one restaurant we visited in a 5-day stay.
Apparent, but not significant, shortcomings: there seems to be too little public/lobby space. That's because it's on the mezzanine level – just ask. Ongoing renovations? Like others, we found them hardly any disturbance at all.

Room Tip: Rooms vary in size. Be sure to compare size and price.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank John B
What a wonderful comment! Thank you for your kind remarks. We take pride in pampering our guests and we are honored to serve you. We hope to see you again once the renovations are completed. -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.