“Home away from Home”

The Lancaster Hotel
Ranked #1 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Lancaster hotel is the best kept secret in town. It is home away from home. The hotel is a family-owned hotel and you can tell. They treat guests as close friends; their location is beyond perfect for anyone going to the symphony, theater, or ballet. Over the years I have stayed at the Lancaster and my recent stay was celebrating birthday week - needless to say it started on the right note. The hotel staff despite going through renovations can’t do enough for you. Sevice is impeccable. Andrea (Stigliano) was sweet enough not only to send some flowers but some chocolates and fruit that I shared with my friend. Sarah (Demaret – front desk manager) has always accommodated all my requests during my visits. The Lancaster is a charming, historic hotel. The hotel is undergoing upgrades throughout and they are doing a marvelous job of keeping as much of the charm as possible but modernizing the hotel to accommodate for today's traveler. The upgraded rooms have a safe and refrigerator, the colors are much lighter with a “Ralph Lauren” look, but thank goodness the beds are the same and luxurious in every way possible; lots of closet space and the bathrooms have a very clean modern finish. The hotel provides a wonderfully yummy full breakfast and whilst they did not have the buffet during my last visit they did still provide breakfast from the A la Carte menu. My recommendation is to have the “The Lancaster”. In addition to the free breakfast the hotel has a complimentary Happy Hour as well as a Shuttle that takes you within 3 mile radius. The service is truly excellent - housekeeping was very prompt when they came to my rescue. I would most certainly recommend this hotel to anyone for business or pleasure who is looking for something special and being centrally located in downtown Houston.

Room Tip: Request for Room 706 or a room with a view
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bhalla2
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

What a wonderful review. This has truly made our day! We strive to go above and beyond in our services for each and every guest. We are so very honored to be considered your 2nd home! We look forward to welcoming you again. Many thanks for the review. -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I wanted to surprise my husband for his birthday on July 4, 2013. The Lancaster was the perfect spot due to the ideal location. I booked the July 4th package which included free valet parking, drink coupons, and breakfast as well as complementary transportation within 3 miles of the hotel. I was concerned that their current remodel of the hotel would be a problem but they assured me that the guests rooms were completed and that the lobby which was still under construction was discretely shielded from view. The newly remodeled rooms in the suite we stayed in were AMAZING! High end bathroom and upbeat comfortable decor. Our room was a perfect location to view the fireworks from Freedom over Texas. When entering our suite we were greeted with a nice bottle of wine and a special berry and chocolate truffle treat. We used the limousine service which was comfortable and punctual. All staff throughout our stay were most accommodating. We enjoyed a great breakfast with lots of choices! The remodel was as discreet as they had described during booking. Our stay could not have been better for my husband's birthday in this beautiful, quiet hotel. This is an awesome value and we will stay again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so glad that you enjoyed the 4th of July package and our various amenities! We have spent many hours working on the hotel renovation so that we can offer the very best to each and every guest. It is nice to hear that you think so highly of our guest rooms. We hope to see you again in the future and it is such an honor to serve you! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

An excellent example of historic preservation done well. Rooms come standard with the technologies one expects, yet the aesthetic integrity of the historic building remains intact. Staff was friendly and helpful. The bed was incredibly comfortable, linens were soft and plentiful. I will go out of my way to stay at this hotel again, should I find myself in Houston.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank IowaArchitect

Thank you for the review! We take pride in our historic roots and our membership with the Historic Hotels of America. In fact, we are the only hotel in Houston to be a member of this prestigious organization. We are glad that you particularly enjoyed this aspect of the hotel. Thanks again and we hope to see you when your travels bring you back to Houston. -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

For the last 8 years I've traveled to Houston about once a month for business. I learned early on that this small classic hotel was the the best kept secret in downtown. It has the look and feel of a classic European hotel at a much lower price. The staff remembers me by name and the service has been consistently excellent. Although the facilities started to show their age a few years back, the current renovations has moved them to the top of their game. The bistro downstairs has a wonderful menu and bar. Their breakfast is my favorite, very cozy. (I recommend the Johnny Cakes). Because of the central location, and access to the free shuttle, I find I can do business all over downtown without ever driving my car.

Room Tip: This hotel is located in the heart of the arts district, so the higher up you are the better your vi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank william f
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

What an honor to be considered your home away from home! We know that business travelers like yourself expect nothing less than to have a welcoming room, a comfortable bed, and an excellent meal. We are glad that you enjoy the renovated rooms and amenities. We cannot thank you enough for your loyalty throughout the years. Thank you for choosing The Lancaster Hotel.
-Michelle M., Sales Mgr.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Hotel is undergoing renovations, so the lobby was a bit of a mess. No business center or exercise room, but the restaurant was already done, and that was fine. Our rooms were on the 7th and 8th floors, with minimal noise from the street. I heard from a guest who was on a lower floor, and he said that road work made his room quite noisy; but we didn't have that problem. The room was very nicely done, with queen bed (set high off the floor), desk, couch, and nicely appointed bathroom. See photos. Breakfast buffet was not huge, but good: crisp bacon, scrambled eggs, hash browns, fruit, yoghurt, toast, pastries& danish, juice. All included with our room charge. Great location for patrons of the arts - across the street from theater, opera/ballet/symphony. The only thing I would have appreciated was the heads-up that the hotel was being renovated, but as it turns out, we didn't need the business center or exercise place. Generally, I think it is nice to offer a little freebie for guests to stay at a hotel under renovation - a discount on room rate, or perhaps free parking instead of $30 per day. But all that being said, the staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was nice, and the breakfast was ample. Room clean up was prompt on a Friday morning was prompt, but very late on Saturday - we were changing clothes at 3:30 and they hadn't done the room yet. But overall, a good location, nice room, good food.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nimby

We are so very glad that you enjoyed your renovated room and we thank you for your understanding regarding the lobby area. Thank you for your remarks and feedback. We hope to welcome you again when your travels bring you to Houston. -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Friends booked us into this hotel and we were simply astonished to discover we'd ended up in a hotel this good, this clean, quiet, and comfortable right in the center of such a huge city, directly across from Symphony Hall, and at such a very good price!! The staff members were genuinely friendly and knew their business well; the wine and cheese happy hour was attended by the on-duty manager; the three mile radius for the free limousine service was liberally extended and we used the service frequently and were delighted with it. The free breakfast put all competitors to shame. Be sure to give the restaurant a try for dinner despite any prejudices against dining in hotels: its food and service were superior to all but one restaurant we visited in a 5-day stay.
Apparent, but not significant, shortcomings: there seems to be too little public/lobby space. That's because it's on the mezzanine level – just ask. Ongoing renovations? Like others, we found them hardly any disturbance at all.

Room Tip: Rooms vary in size. Be sure to compare size and price.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank John B

What a wonderful comment! Thank you for your kind remarks. We take pride in pampering our guests and we are honored to serve you. We hope to see you again once the renovations are completed. -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

OK, I went to this hotel for the first time after researching many reviews. Even though this hotel in undergoing renovations, it is still a great experience that you just are not going to find with "big name" hotels. The rooms and services are as good or better than any Marriott or Hyatt, but the people that work there are "over the top" nice. I showed up around 3:30 pm and the room was not quite ready. The desk person immediately sent me to the bar with a drink voucher. I met Robert (Bob) the bartender and was treated to a great conversation on the history of the hotel. I was impressed by how he detailed the history of the family who now owns the hotel and how the employees really enjoy working for their employer. You know you will get great service when the employees really believe that their employers are great to work for. On a side note, when I later came back to the bar, Bob had put aside a package of cookies for my son and gave them to him.....pretty cool. Good job Bob, you are one of the reasons I am coming back again!
The rooms are really nice with expensive furnishings and cool fixtures in the bathroom. The beds are really soft. Love the bathrobes!
I picked the Lancaster to be close to the ballpark. I had every intention on walking to the game, but the Valets insisted on giving me a ride. It was like having my own private limo service...pretty cool. They told me to call them back after the game, but I felt bad about calling them down so I walked back. The walk back is not long at all, and there are interesting places to visit along the way from the hotel to the ballpark. The general area is very safe and I felt comfortable walking around at night.
BLUF-This hotel is friendly and even though it is not inexpensive, you feel like you are getting services that you would find at a very high end hotel. The staff is friendly and generally young. I would recommend this over the majority of the places I have stayed in the area.
Oh, on a side note, I purposely dressed down (T-Shirt, shorts) during this stay to see how the staff would treat me compared to a lot of the suits I saw in this place (there are a lot of nicely dressed people that come here). No difference. They treated me like a King...hee hee

Room Tip: If you are military, call for special rates directly.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sgunderson94
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

This comment has truly made our day! We consider it it such an honor to receive such comments and we are so glad to hear that you had an exceptional stay. It is our pleasure to serve you. We hope to welcome you again in the future and we wish you safe travels! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.