“The best meal I have ever had, that says alot because I like to eat”
Review of The Lancaster

The Lancaster
Ranked #1 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We didn't stay over night we only ate in the restaurant. I should say bistro, cause the place is small. We went for our anniversary. The baked oysters were amazing. The filet was so tender with a light sweet smoky flavor that is hard to describe and hard to forget

• Stayed: May 2013
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

What an honor to read a comment like this! We are thrilled that you had such a remarkable meal!

There are newer reviews for The Lancaster

Reviewed May 1, 2013

The Lancaster was tremendous on every point. Though within 2 blocks of the Opera on the night we were going it was raining to hard to walk. The hotel shuttle came to the rescue on both taking us and picking us up. All the employees were courteous and friendly The bistro restaurant food was well above expectation and very attentive to our early Opera time. The room had not yet been remodeled but was clean and fresh. Definitely a first choice for staying in downtown Houston..

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Reading a review like this brings a small to my face. We thrive to deliver the very best service on every level and we are so glad that you enjoyed your recent stay. We hope to see you again in the future! -Michelle M., Sales & Marketing Manager

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Valet, front desk, restaurant, and other staff were nice and professional. It is $35.00 for the valet and you will need to valet park. I picked this hotel for the great location and because I found it at a decent rate. Even though this hotel is being renovated, my husband and I loved the atmosphere and the history of The Lancaster. I learned Mr. Clark Gable lived there while pursuing his career in the Houston theater. If I can afford a room after the renovation, I would definitely go back to The Lancaster.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Reading comments like this make our day! We are so very glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope you come back to experience the renovated rooms. As you know, there is such a rich history here and we will certainly keep the historic charm after the renovation! - Michelle M.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

As most reviews have already noted the location is ideal as it was in the main hub of Houston.However this is one of the only positives I could describe,much to my disappointment.I have stayed in numerous hotels in America for both business and pleasure and not once have I come across front desk and mangerial staff as rude and obnoxious as i did here at the Lancaster. They were short,dismissive, arrogant and some what disrespectful to younger customers. For a hotel that prides itself in customer service I find it laughable that they display such characteristics. I would urge the hotel to offer opportunities for their staff to brush up on etiquette and manners!

• Stayed: March 2013

We appreciate your comments and feedback. We truly value customer feedback and we hope to address these issues mentioned in your review. I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you over the phone. Feel free to contact me at my direct line: 713-237-2753. -Michelle M., Manager

Reviewed April 5, 2013

First business trip to Houston. I stayed here 8 nights and the hotel was excellent. The room was a nice size - not too small, not too big, and the bed - honestly - the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The room was serviced daily to a very high standard. The complimentary wi-fi service was relatively fast and reliable and the staff friendly and helpful. The hotel runs a free transporation service for trips within a three mile radius which was very useful and - for longer journeys - managed to book us taxis fairly quickly (which is unusual for Houston as anyone who's ever been there will know!).

The restaurant/bistro is very good with good quality food.

The overall location is good, especially for the nearby theatre district, and downtown is only 5-10 minutes walk away. There are not many local convenience stores though which is a shame but of course is not the hotel's fault.

Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mike_gss

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your wonderful comments and feedback. We thrive to be a home away from home for business travelers and leisure guests. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I recently stayed at The Lancaster and i have to say i have never experienced such poor customer service in a long time. From my initial arrival to my departure i felt that the staff which i encountered (with the exception of breakfast staff) were very unhelpful and rude. As a paying guest i found this extremely unacceptable. The management were uninterested and unapproachable and i was shocked at their attitude when dealing with issues during my stay. I would recommend that you don't stay in the room that is near the 'leisure room' as you will be kept awake at night with the sounds of rickety treadmills and weights being dropped on the unpadded floor.. and don't count on getting a relaxing long lie in the morning as you will be rudely awoken by the same bangs and crashes. Breakfast wasn't much better.. a scrapeful of scrambled egg..no bacon or hasbrowns for ten minutes,no pastries,1 yoghurt and no orange juice was a little too much. Granted it was 9am and maybe a little busy..but surely this should be accounted for in the staffing levels. Very poor i would say for the price that is charged for breakfast. Watch out for the 'incidentals' they are very sneakily added in and you may get a shock at the end of your stay!!

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank lm0912

We sincerely apologize for your less than favorable stay. We would like to reach out to you and look forward to speaking with you regarding your concerns. Feel free to contact me at my direct line at 713-237-2753. -Michelle MacLauchlan, Manager

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed for nights after a long haul from Australia. Staff extremely friendly and helpful (esp Russell on front desk). Breakfast and dinner very tasty and well prepared. Only problem being that the front desk could not provide information regarding location of a doctor, so hubby had to call 911 as I was quite ill the 2nd day. Not really a downside as the 4 young blokes who came to my rescue were terrific!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for your comments and feedback! We are glad that you particularly enjoyed the Bistro! Thank you for bringing this to our attention, as we will have better contact information for local clinics and doctors. We wish you safe travels! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.