“Very disappointing!”
Review of The Lancaster

The Lancaster
Ranked #1 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I recently stayed at The Lancaster and i have to say i have never experienced such poor customer service in a long time. From my initial arrival to my departure i felt that the staff which i encountered (with the exception of breakfast staff) were very unhelpful and rude. As a paying guest i found this extremely unacceptable. The management were uninterested and unapproachable and i was shocked at their attitude when dealing with issues during my stay. I would recommend that you don't stay in the room that is near the 'leisure room' as you will be kept awake at night with the sounds of rickety treadmills and weights being dropped on the unpadded floor.. and don't count on getting a relaxing long lie in the morning as you will be rudely awoken by the same bangs and crashes. Breakfast wasn't much better.. a scrapeful of scrambled egg..no bacon or hasbrowns for ten minutes,no pastries,1 yoghurt and no orange juice was a little too much. Granted it was 9am and maybe a little busy..but surely this should be accounted for in the staffing levels. Very poor i would say for the price that is charged for breakfast. Watch out for the 'incidentals' they are very sneakily added in and you may get a shock at the end of your stay!!

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank lm0912
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

We sincerely apologize for your less than favorable stay. We would like to reach out to you and look forward to speaking with you regarding your concerns. Feel free to contact me at my direct line at 713-237-2753. -Michelle MacLauchlan, Manager

There are newer reviews for The Lancaster

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed for nights after a long haul from Australia. Staff extremely friendly and helpful (esp Russell on front desk). Breakfast and dinner very tasty and well prepared. Only problem being that the front desk could not provide information regarding location of a doctor, so hubby had to call 911 as I was quite ill the 2nd day. Not really a downside as the 4 young blokes who came to my rescue were terrific!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for your comments and feedback! We are glad that you particularly enjoyed the Bistro! Thank you for bringing this to our attention, as we will have better contact information for local clinics and doctors. We wish you safe travels! -Michelle M., Sales Mgr.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I booked The Lancaster for a quick business trip to Houston and I look forward to doing so again. The staff was excellent and the hotel provides free breakfast in their great bistro as well as free wifi. The Lancaster has the charm of a boutique hotel, far from the cliche chain hotels I usually stay at. The hotel is undergoing renovations, but I look forward to visiting again when they are complete. Great price, great service, and a great stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Calvin M
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Recent Guest - We are so glad that you chose The Lancaster Hotel during your recent trip to Houston. We hope to be your preferred hotel in the downtown area and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Many thanks for your comments and feedback. -Lancaster Staff

Reviewed March 18, 2013

First of all I will start by saying this a great location for a hotel. Right in the heart of the cultural district in Downtown Houston. I would recommend this hotel to family and friends, but I would also want people to be aware of the experience we had on our stay.

Service - The hotel staff were really good. The valet attendants had our car ready in 10 minutes or less and they do tell you to contact them 15 minutes prior to leaving. The valet is 30.00 per night with unlimited in and out privileges. I thought that was a little steep but after walking around downtown all other lots are 40.00 or higher for the daily max with no in and out.
The front desk employee, Russell, was a really nice guy. He made sure we were taken care of and did a speedy check in process. He also gave us a coupon for a free appetizer at the Aquarium restaurant. He did tell us that there was an 8.95 fee per guest for the "free" breakfast buffet that would be charged on our bill. I wasn't too happy with this charge as we did not go to the breakfast bar at all on our 3 day stay. When I asked to have the charged removed I was denied. That is the one problem I had with the service during our stay. Russell also informed us that they were in the middle of a renovation on the hotel and its rooms, but that the movers would only be working during a 10am to 5pm shift. This was false, I was woken up every morning by people moving furniture at 7:30 - 8:00 am. Normally I wouldn't care, but this was a getaway weekend and we wanted to sleep later than normal. This also caused a problem on the two elevators in the hotel. We were forced to wait 4 or 5 times on the elevator because it was full of furniture being moved from one floor to the other.

Room - We had a queen room on the 5th floor. The room was nice, but quiet small. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows as well. The TV in the room is very small, but sufficed for the amount of time we were actually in the room. The room was very clean and tidy. The furniture and fixtures are kind of worn in some areas. I know this is a historic hotel, but updating ammenties would be a good thing. There is free WiFi in every room which was a nice. The bathroom was clean, but it was a little small as well. The closet with the ironing board was actually attached to the bathroom with little to no clearance when opening the closet door. You had to close the bathroom door and then open the closet door to have enough room to move. Kind of tough...

I would recommend this hotel as it was a nice stay. I complain a little, but overall the attitude of the staff and the location of the hotel made up for its cons.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Recent Guest - We appreciate your comments and feedback. Thank you for the detailed review. Please contact our reservation department directly and we would be glad to offer you an upgrade on your room type, as it looks like you received a queen room during your last stay. We would love to host you again upon the completion of our renovation so that you can experience the renovated guest rooms and amenities. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced and we hope to make it up to you the next time. Sincerely, Lancaster Staff

Reviewed March 16, 2013

You know, I've shared the parade information from Houston; however, I failed to mention where Better Half and I stayed--the Lancaster Hotel...

I wanted to stay close to the parade route, googled the address of the way it was going and decided on this hotel. Located just two blocks from the route and after reading reviews, I knew this one was the one...

I was right...

Upon entering the foyer (for lack of better description) I smelt fresh flowers, wood and leather...A great combination, especially when horses and parades are on one's mind...See the rest of this review at CharmingSouthernTrails.com

Room Tip: Enjoy supper there...the restuarant is very delicious...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Guests - The rodeo parade is such a special event in Houston and we are glad you chose The Lancaster during your leisure time downtown. Throughout the years we have housed a number of guests that partake and enjoy the Rodeo Parade and we look forward to hosting you and your "better half" again in the future. Look out for the renovated rooms and public areas coming July 2013! Sincerely, Lancaster Staff

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have been staying at the Lancaster for over 20 years. Right in the heart of Houston, this amazing, posh hotel will not disappoint you. I first started going when I was a young woman the hotel was the center of the party. Now as I have matured it provides a relaxing environment that always brings me back home. The rooms have gone from quintessential southern to a clean industrial lines. Luxurious in every way possible.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Loyal Guest - We appreciate your loyalty throughout the years and we consider it an honor to serve you. We are glad to be a property where you can have a home away from home. Thank you for the comments and feedback. Sincerely, Lancaster Staff

Reviewed March 14, 2013

There are certain hotels that remind you of the classics - the Waldorf Astoria in New York, the Palmer House in Chicago. Those are large institutions that somehow retain a classic feel. The Lancaster is a small hotel that feels the same, but in a sense even better because of the cozy, old (but not run down) feel. Don't expect over-the-top luxury, but instead everything is "just right." The room was small but perfectly adequate and everything worked fine. The dinner service was excellent, if a bit pricey and a hot buffet is included in the room price (as is internet - are you listening large hotel chains?). Apparently, The Lancaster is about to begin a renovation project which will only make this establishment better.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mdwpdx
LancasterManagement, Manager at The Lancaster, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Recent Guest - Thank you for your wonderful comments and feedback. We thrive to be an establishment where guests can experience a historic charm and elegance that is unmatched. Yes, with renovations underway we hope to retain such classic charm with modern amenities and technology. We are honored to serve you and we hope to see you again in the future.
Sincerely, Lancaster Staff