The Lancaster Hotel
  • Room Service
$235
$200
  • Pool
Club Quarters Hotel in Houston(Houston)(Great Value!)
$262
The Houstonian(Houston)
$399
Preferred Hotels
  • Pool
Crowne Plaza Houston River Oaks(Houston)(Great Value!)
$247
$219
$334
$299
Marriott Hotels
1,503 results
All reviewsthe theater districtjones halllion's denhouston symphonyhobby centerboutique hotelvalet parkingwithin milesfree shuttle serviceheart of downtownfavorite hotelwonderful hotelmile radiuscorner roombed was very comfortablefree breakfastdefinitely stay here again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 10, 2011

My wife and I drove down to Houston to celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary. We booked the "weekend package". With that you get a discounted room, free valet parking and free breakfast for two in the Bistro. We now assume that the discounted room gives them the right to provide a dingy room overlooking air vents and air conditioning systems at the rear of the building. The carpets, drapes (drapes?), furniture ( with 20+ year-old slip covers) were all frayed and dirty. On top of this, the lobby smells of a sewer.

The staff is either overattentive (doormen, valet) or seemingly in a coma (Bistro breakfast hostess). The Bistro barstaff, although friently and attentive, kept leaving the supply closet door open, thus ruining the ambience.

We stayed here about two years ago and were not overly impressed but at least the room was nice and we had a view of the theater distric, so we decided to stay again. But, this is the last time.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2011

The Lancaster is a beautifully restored historic property located in downtown Houston. Check-in was a breeze and they still use real keys - a pleasant surprise for those of us who hate those unrealiable magnetic cardkeys. My room was small but beautifully appointed. The mattress and linens were exceptionally comfortable. Climate control worked well and I heard very little outside noise. There was no fridge in the room, but they resupply the ice bucket during the evening turndown service. The in-room snack and soda selection ran $2 per item, but several of the offerings were past their expiration dates.

My real issues were in the bathroom. It was finished in marble and seemed quite nice in the beginning. That lowboy toilet was cute, but it couldn't handle a big load. There was no stopper in the tub, but the engineer brought one right up. There wasn't any lighting around the tub, so it felt like I was bathing in a cave. I checked out a couple other rooms and their bathrooms had better layouts - and those same lowboy toilets.

The Lancaster has done a wonderful job with their staffing. Everyone was pleasant, professional, and welcoming. Without exception, they went out of their way to make my stay comfortable and enjoyable. This hotel is a real gem and its likely that I'll stay there on my next visit to Houston.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 01 are the smallest.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Billy1564
Reviewed June 23, 2011

The Lancaster is not your cookie-cutter type of hotel that you often find with major brand name hotels. The hotel really has a wonderful history to it and it still reflects its roots to this day. The hotel is small and very intimate, about eight rooms per floor! Any room is not more than 25 feet from the elevators. All in all, the hotel looks to be well maintained and was spotlessly clean.

The hotel sits in the heart of the theater district and has a bistro restaurant with a varied menu and is there to be of service to their hotel guests and those passing by. If going to the theater or concert, this would be a great place to stay rather than hassle with exiting a parking ramp! The hotel offers valet parking with in and out privileges.

If there are no cultural activites going on, the entire downtown will be extremely quiet. In fact, down right peaceful!

Room Tip: Use self-park across the street and save $
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank TraveljohnsonJ
Reviewed May 31, 2011

My family and I had the pleasure of staying this fine hotel in downtown Houston for the occasion of my son's wedding. The staff were very attentive and accommodating, the rooms comfortable, the location very convenient to downtown venues. We can't say enough good things about our stay there and especially want to thank Mr. Cleveland Lee for arranging room reservations and amenities. The valet staff was always prompt, no matter how many times we went in and out. The housekeeping staff anticipated our needs and was always helpful. The Bistro serves the best French toast I have ever had and the wait-staff excellent as well. We will certainly stay there again and will recommend this hotel to our friends.

Room Tip: Book early.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I booked a room in this hotel through Kayak.com and thought I had a great rate. When I arrived the Lancaster said I had selected a Governement Rate and proceeded to raise my charge from $109 to $165 the first night, higher the second night and over $200 for the 3rd night. I sure know what a government rate is and would never select one. Their ear was deaf. I have never had this happen in 30 years of travel and my lodging for 3 nights was nearly double what I expected. So, doublecheck your rate....read the fine print.....don't get ripped off as I did!!

Also, the room was very small, has only a desk chair for seating and has been maintained in a "vintage" state. The only space for setting up the iironing board with a plug was the bathroom.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business