“Great Stay”
Review of The Houstonian

The Houstonian
Ranked #14 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed November 5, 2006

The Houstonian has a wonderful feel and the surrounding property allows you to forget you are in the middle of a major city. There are areas to walk around the campus and it also is very close to Memorial Park so runners can leave the property and have a number of trails to enjoy. The rooms were pretty typical of an upscale hotel although the bathrooms are very small. The Houstonian Club is included in the stay and is an outstanding gym. A pro that we noticed was the free daycare for up to 3 hours at the Club while you workout, get a spa treatment or swim in the pool. Would recommend also a room on the concierge floor where there is a continental breakfast and snacks throughout the day. We received a wedding party rate which was very reasonable so I cannot speak to the value when it relates to the typical cost of a stay.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank Binaustin
There are newer reviews for The Houstonian

Reviewed September 28, 2006

From start to finish, it was probably one of the worse hotel stays in my life. The staff was snooty. We found an old tobacco chew container in our room. When we went to use the ice bucket, we found it was full of water and it spilled on us. The elevator in the main lobby smelled like vomit. The shower had a slimy feel to it, as if someone had not washed it in a few weeks. We saw where one guest decided to put out a cigarette on the carpet walking into their room: the first time I’ve ever seen that.

Yes, they have a nice pool. They have a nice workout gym. But I genuinely felt bad for a couple that looked like they just got married and they were checking into the hotel.

In my humble opinion, the hotel needs better management, and it definitely needs a renovation.

I wouldn’t stay at this hotel again for any reason.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
5  Thank ojasrege
Reviewed September 14, 2006

The Houstonian is impeccable inside, despite the fact that it looks like a 60s government building from the outside. I booked a concierge level room for only $165 on a Friday night. The extra $30 was definitely worth it because the free coctail and appetizers in the concierge room along with the breakfast was well done. I also appreciated the free pass to the adjoining health club and spa, with their lap pool and family pool. All I could see from my window were trees and more trees. The only complaint would be that it was hard to overcome the ugliness of the building the minute I stepped outside the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
3  Thank serrita
Reviewed July 21, 2006

Stayed here for business for one week. This is a very nice place, with stately oaks, lush grounds and a posh feel. The service staff was very friendly and helpful at all times. It is a somewhat eclectic and unusual place with the way it is set up, but all in all, still a great place for business or pleasure. Chief complaint is the self parking and its accessibility to the elevators and rooms, which is not easy to figure out on your own initially. And the trees and landscape are SO huge, the view from my room was nothing but the middle of a tree. Not a great big deal, just advising. Other than that, wonderful 4-5 star acommodations, comfy rooms and beds. Room service was great. No coffee or grab and go breakfast however. You must drive offsite, but it is within 2miles of everything surrounding the Galleria area, so it is convenient if you have a vehicle. I did not get to visit the fitness facilities but I understand they are awesome.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank Villette N
Reviewed June 16, 2006

I stayed here the weekend I got married in Houston, the first night alone, the second night with my husband. I should preface this by saying that we did not have our wedding at the Houstonian, but we did have a large guest block reserved there. I made a point to tell the staff that I was staying there for my wedding night and inquired about possible upgrades, at which point they offered an upgrade to "concierge level." However, the room was still just a standard guest room. On the night of my wedding, the hotel did absolutely nothing extra to enhance the experience -- I know of several other hotels in the area that upgrade guests to suites for their wedding night, have chilled champagne, strawberries, or flowers waiting in the room. The Houstonian did nothing - it was just another night as far as they were concerned. Additionally, while I know the Houstonian can't control the behavior of other hotel guests, I was incredibly turned off by the behavior of some of the other clients staying there. At 4pm the day of my wedding, I was getting make-up done in my mother's suite, with my maid-of-honor and mother. We were playing music in the living room - fairly mellow selections such as Neko Case, Lucinda Williams, and the new Dixie Chicks. The music was at a medium level - you could barely hear it in the adjoining bedroom and it was about the level of a television program. The guests in the room next door banged on the wall and yelled through the wall to "turn it down!!" This is behavior I would expect (but have not seen) at maybe a Days Inn -- not at a supposedly 5-star resort. These neighbors then sent their 11- year old daughters over 10 minutes later to ask us to turn the music down because "they were trying to sleep" (they meaning the really ill-behaved parents??). We turned the music down 2 levels on the dial. However, at 4pm in the afternoon, apparently these people would only be happy with absolute silence because THEN they called security. I was completely fed up at that point and had the security in-house officer stay at the open front door and asked him if he could even hear the music. He seemed incredulous and couldn't believe that that was the volume level being complained about -- he could barely hear it. However, he did at least say that he would talk to the next door neighbors about their attitude problem. Yes, we were playing music, but it was at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon, and it wasn't like we were blasting gangster rap. I know the guest's response wasn't the Houstonian's fault, but it did make me question the overall "quality" of the hotel anyways, and left a bad taste in my mouth.

The lobby and grounds of the hotel are beautiful, and the fitness center is the best I've ever seen anywhere. However, I felt like the guest rooms (unless you are in a suite) were kind of dark and small, and I felt like the staff was fairly inattentive. If you are looking for a pampering experience, I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank natbel
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 5, 2006

My fiance and I stayed at the Houstonian on June 2-4 (two nights) and paid $159. I was a little nervous about staying here based on the lukewarm reviews I had read. But I figured, I'll take the risk.
Some hotels are okay and have a really great website. Some hotels have crummy websites and are marvoulous places. Well, the Houstonian has a really great website.

Something you should know about the Houstonian is that up close, the architecture looks like a very modern office with mirrored windows on the exterior from the early seventies. I suspect the Houstonian actually used to be an office building and somewhere along the way they converted it into a hotel. If you peek behind the curtain in your room and look up you can still see the seventies popcorn ceiling that was left behind.

This place is just a total patchwork quilt of different architecture styles. The gatehouse looks like it was borrowed from the Grand Floridian in Disneyworld, the hotel and club look like they inspired the infamous Enron headquarters, and the Trellis spa looks like its trying to be a Tuscan villa. Then when you enter the lobby, it feels like an upscale western hunting lodge with stuffed game animals scattered around in the flower arrangements.

Someone in an earlier review from Santa Cruz (representing! I'm from Monterey County) complained that this place feels pretentious. It does! The Houstonian hums of white Houston yuppies living the Texas good life, especially in the club. I could almost see the ghosts of Enron's past lounging by the pools, living an empty life of undeserved decadence.

But I gave this place five stars (after much thought and a little hesitation) anyway. And here is why.
-Houston can have a congested smoggy vibe to it. This place is very well located, and I felt like I was in a forested oasis. I liked the floor to ceiling windows and looking out the trees.
-I liked the turndown at night, with the soft music playing and the Lake Champlain chocolates on our pillows.
-The guestrooms are lovely and updated, in soft neutrals and are very comfortable.
-Other reviewers complained about the bathrooms. Yes, they are small, but they are beautiful and tastefully done in neutrals and marble, Lots of great amenities and I loved the deep soaking tub. The towels are thick and delicious.
-I have never slept better in a hotel bed, the linens were amazing and top notch.
-I was really touched when the doorman saw me exiting in my workout clothes and offered me a bottle of water. When I said thank you, he offered me a second bottle of water.
-The running track and the fitness facilities were top notch to keep me trim after all those bbq dinners I ate at Goode and Co. and Luthers. Maria, one of the instructors in the club who also does ballet, taught one of the best dance classes I have every taken. And I work out and dance a lot.
-Most of the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. When I asked for a rollaway bed, it was quickly brought to my room and my friend slept very comfortably on it.
-Someone complained that the concierge levels food items are mini mart quality. My friends were staying on the fourth floor and they let me in so I could hang out. Last time I checked Perrier water, Canada dry tonic water, assorted soft drinks, freshfruit, etcetera are a step above most mini marts.

Here is some constructive criticism for the Houstonian.
-the pools get really overcrowded and noisy. It seemed there were about twenty kids per adult in the pool areas. I wanted to relax in the garden pool which is supposed to be the quiet one but there were a ton of unsupervised kids in there screaming about "poop". Yuck.
-the entrance gets really overcrowded with cars
-If a customer asks for a view room, please do not give them a room that overlooks an office. They moved me to a better room after the second time I requested a view room.

Overall the Houston is a great place to stay, I loved it, I would stay again in a heartbeat. I give it my highest recommendation.

• Stayed: June 2006