“Loved being stranded at the Houstonian - great for fitness buffs”
Review of The Houstonian

The Houstonian
Ranked #9 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Fairfax Station, Virginia
“Loved being stranded at the Houstonian - great for fitness buffs”
Reviewed February 13, 2010

I traveled here in February during the Snowmageddon for a business trip and was stranded for 2 additional days while I waited for the DC airports to reopen. The hotel service was great - there were always multiple people in lobby there to help you, and everyone was very friendly with no attitude problems. Even though the hotel was sold out, they were able to accommodate me for additional nights as cancellations opened up. The beds were very comfortable and my room overlooked a wooded area. The food in Olivette restaurant was excellent. The hotel seemed to mostly attract male travelers, I did not see many women except those from my own organization who were there for the same meeting.

One of the big attractions of this hotel is the fitness complex with 3 outdoor pools (I believe they were all heated), and huge gym with indoor track, full size basketball court, pilates room, spinning, and more. The locker rooms had luxurious lounges with free coffee and tea, plus there was a cafe inside the gym for those who wanted more. The pool water was quite warm, so even though the temps were in the 40's-50's you could still swim outdoors or of course use the outdoor hot tub. There was also the Trellis Spa which had an indoor heated plunge pool to use while waiting for your massage, hot tub, steam room, and deluge shower. Or, you could wait upstairs by the fireplace and have coffee. The service in the spa was also excellent. This is a great hotel for anyone who loves to work out or go to a spa while on business. The only thing that I didn't care for was the traditional decor within the modern building.

Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank artistexplorer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Beaumont, Texas
Reviewed January 25, 2010

We live in Beaumont, 90 miles away. I visited with my 2 small children (ages 3 and 5).
My son had an allergic reaction to a snack I allowed from the mini bar and threw up on the floor. While we were away getting some medicines they completely cleaned up the room. Once back we ordered some room service and mentioned that the battery in the TV remote seemed dead. Someone knocked at the door in 10 minutes to help with the remote and didnt leave until the issue was resolved.
This is a quiet hotel situated on 18 acres. We enjoyed the heated pool in january in the outdoors and had an amazing breakfast in the hotel dining room (highly recommend the huevos rancheros). Hotel enjoys great proximity to the galleria in contrast to its wooded setting.

• Stayed January 2010
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2009

We celebrated our Wedding Anniversary at the Houstonian and it was the perfect getaway just a few minutes from home. The hotel accomodations, exceptional service, restaurants, and amenities are the best Houston has to offer. For those interested in fitness the hotel's private health club is not to missed. Also, the kids and young at heart will love the pool equiped with waterfall and meandering slide. You can't go wrong booking at the Houstonian; from personal / business events to spa and romantic getaways this hotel is a solid Five Star!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mullinss
golfnerd
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Just got back during a Labor Day weekend stay. First time I had fun in Houston! Hotel is great, pool is even better. The gym is unbelievable. Definetly, get that country club feelling when you arrive. The staff is friendly and always available. Looking forward to coming back soon.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank golfnerd
Texas
Reviewed August 8, 2009

From the moment we arrived, the staff at the Houstonian gave wonderful customer service. We were greeted at the door and check in was a breeze. Our room was ready before check in time. The room was very nice, but the bathroom was small. Nice view of a small courtyard, big flat screen tv. mini bar with snacks, turn down service with chocolates. The young ones thought the room's doorbell was cool. We ordered room service the night before and asked for an 8am delivery. The food was delivered promptly at 8am and was delicious. We had poolside service that was great and Olivette served a great breakfast. Fresh squeezed orange and pineapple juice. Spa food is typical spa food...bland. But, they did have a number of sauces to put on my grilled chicken at the spa. One unexpected thing was afternoon service of home made smores by the pool. They had a little fire pit and the staff made and served the smores. An excellent touch. I would stay at the Houstonian again without question.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank felixthecatTexas
Jackson, MS
Reviewed July 21, 2009

My husband and sons (9 & 11) and I visited Houston for two Astros games. I wanted a hotel that would offer us more than a place to sleep. This is without a doubt the best place to stay for an active athletic family. My husband and boys loved the rock climbing wall, basketball and raquet courts. There were ample opportunities to try out several fitness classes. The pools are beautiful with a waterfall and slide.

While the boys went to the game, I used the hotel shuttle ( a beautiful Lexus) to take me to the Galleria for shopping. I adored the grounds and the serene atmosphere of the resort. It is nestled in a pocket of woods in the middle of the city. Although I did not use the spa, it seemed wonderful. I read some reviews that the food was not great but I loved it. Most of it was healthy spa fare which I love.

Our room was a standard King which overlooked a wooded courtyard. Our bed was very comfortable and our sons slept on the pull out sofa. The room came well equipped with amenities and seemed very clean and tranquil. The staff was very nice and helpful. We will definitely stay here again when we return to Houston.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank lagent007
Fairview, Texas
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Couldn't have asked for a better weekend! My daughters and I had planned a Mexican cruise, but due to the Swine Flu, Carnival canceled our 5 day cruise. We decided to spend our time together at the Houstonian. It was awesome! Since it was my birthday weekend, we received the most beautiful dozen chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our room. Oh...my, they were delicious! The continental breakfast on the Concierge Level was devine...fresh fruit was yummy, as were the croissants! The food in the Olivette restaurant was outstanding! As was the service! It couldn't have been a better weekend away! We loved the pools, spa, room and food! The doormen were always there to open our doors and treat us with royalty. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family