“Lovely hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 500 Hotels in Houston
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 night in this hotel on business so didn't get to experience the health club, pool, spa etc however the hotel itself is lovely.

On arrival the reception is very impressive with a large fireplace and faux hunting lodge style. Reception staff very friendly.

I had a room on the Concierge level which was a good size with large bed, sitting area, desk area and bathroom stocked with L'Occitane products. The bathroom was a little small but no big deal.

There is a turndown service which is a nice touch as well as newspaper delivered to the room daily.

The concierge level also has a business suite with complimentary breakfast and evening snacks as well as computers etc. The whole hotel has free wifi.

I tried room service once which was very tasty. Breakfast down in the dining room is a la carte and extremely good.

Quite surprisingly for the USA parking is charged quite steeply, $15 per night if you park yourself, or $30 by valet. This struck me as a bit cheeky, and something that should be free for paying hotel guests. Especially in a city like Houston where you don't have much choice BUT to drive.

Otherwise great hotel, lovely grounds, seemed like a good location, not far from the Galleria area and very friendly staff.

Recommended.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank bobdibest

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Louisaiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

We felt like we were on a lush island not in the middle of busy Houston! This is an outstanding place to stay. Our room overlooked lush terrain and the huge window with high ceilings made this a outstanding location. The only reason I don't give it a five star is because it needs a little facelift. Will go again and enjoy all the amenities this hotel has.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cajuncouple50
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

Spent the night here last night for our wedding anniversary which I'm certain I made known when I'd reserved this hotel. No mention of this special occasion was made known during any part of our stay so no room upgrades or anything like that which I had secretly hoped for.

We self parked in the garage which was somewhat horrid. 100F temperatures, minimal signage and there was an event on so parking was difficult to find. After parking, we walked around like fools looking for the elevator given we had a stroller with us and eventually realized we had to walk up ramps to ground level and eventually take that elevator to the hotel. Then there's another elevator to even get to the lobby (when you have a stroller). So needless to say, I didn't find this hotel extremely wheelchair friendly. (note it obviously is wheelchair accessible but not wheelchair FRIENDLY...).

Check in was non eventful. No 'congrats on your wedding anniversary!'.

We had a 3rd floor hotel. The room was dark and depressing with old (charming furniture) and the bathroom was small for Houston standards. The doorway to the room was so narrow, we could barely fit our stroller through.

We had free WIFI which was great (great strength i mean) but you do have to rejoin when you head to their outdoor area.

We used one of the three pools (one for kids, one for adults which is tiny and one for laps). So I don't recommend this place for a romantic getaway since the adults only type pool is small and lacking any 'pazazz'. For kids however, this place was Disneyland which suited us just find.

We did use the gym which was nice and bright and large and clean.

Turndown service was great - they play nice music and place a chocolate on your pillow (though two chocolates may have been a nicer touch?).

Given the parking garage was so hot, bothersome and hard to get to with a stroller, each time we needed the car, my husband would go alone, then come pick me up from the lobby.

Not much else to tell but I've been to Trellis previously and that was outdated (aesthetically) also. Overall, the hotel is very kid friendly but on the dark/woody side where as we prefer bright, modern, hotels. I.e. the Omni 2 minutes away for much cheaper is much much better.

We didn't try out any of the restaurants as we were keen to eat offsite. Really wasn't overly impressed. I prefer the chain 4 star hotels.

oh- i almost forgot!! We couldn't sleep till after 12am as (drunk?) people were running up and down the corridors screaming their goodnights. Which means the walls were paper thin. (see I had such bad sleep that I almost forgot that part!). But that's not the hotel's fault - but I guess this might happen after events at the hotel so you've been warned ..

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
2 Thank liz113_11
Curitiba, PR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

I spent 8 nights at the Houstonian Hotel. I go Houston at least once a year (for the past 10 years) and usually try a different hotel every time. The Houstonian is a good hotel, with excellent services and a great club -- the outdoor jogging track is very nice too. The location is indeed relaxing and beautiful. The bed was marvelous (so comfortable). The housekeeping services deserve 5 stars -- impecable! The biggest con, as I see it, is that the rooms are outdated. The old and dark furniture makes the room a bit depressing. So, if you plan on spending too much time in your room, I would not go for it. Also, the bathroom was too small for me. All in all, a very good experience, just with a few cons.

Room Tip: My room was a bit dark and depressing -- not sure if there is a better room, but would certainly ask...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Mitsumi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

I've stayed at The Houstonian around 50 times in the past 10 years, and more and more I feel like The Houstonian is my home-away-from-home in Houston. First, the grounds are beautiful and far from anything you will find at other hotels in the area. Second, the rooms have been updated in the past few years and are truly top-notch. Third, the staff is incredible - especially Fernando the concierge, who quickly notices the little things and takes actions to make your stay perfect. Finally, the amenities are wonderful... the pools keep getting better, the exercise and tennis facilities are legendary, and meeting rooms are just what they need to be, and words cannot express how great Trellis Spa is. Olivette also has my favorite dessert in town!

Room Tip: If you can get on the 4th floor you will have access to a private lounge for complimentary breakfast...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

Great location! In between two infamous Houston locales --- Memorial Park and The Galleria. The Houstonian is quietly situated away from city madness and secluded amongst the pines and post oak trees. It's a low-rise hotel spread out with a beautiful pool area and padded jogging track around the premises. They were beginning some construction on the gym so call prior to your visit. The Olivette restaurant onsite is very good and the bar too next door has a wonderful staff. The fabulous pool area has a great dining café and bar which is needed in the Houston summers.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook an interior and very peaceful, treed area.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
      Rooms
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

We enjoyed our stay, but it really was like being transported back to the '80s. The decor and atmosphere had a very well-maintained, but dated feel. The room was comfortable, and the location is good. The valet service can use some help...they were very disorganized, and a couple of times, even though we called down, we ended up waiting outside for about 15 minutes. We had a massage/facial at the spa, and it was wonderful. Unless we had a discount deal, we would not stay here again as there are so many other options in Houston.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple