“Wonderful Hotel”

Ranked #12 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, Texas
“Wonderful Hotel”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Very nice accommodations. The staff was excellent and the room was great! The landscape and setting of this hotel is beautiful. I was in town for a company Christmas party so wasn't at the hotel for long. I look forward to coming back when I have more time to enjoy the ambiance and the spa!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Jim M, General Manager at The Houstonian, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear anneF6938UA,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay at the Houstonian. We uphold a strong commitment to quality, so it's always nice to know when a guest reflects on their stay with feelings of complete satisfaction. You certainly should return and enjoy some services at Trellis Spa, we would love to have you. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Houstonian soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We had our wedding at the Houstonian in the first week of January 2014 and had to deal with a lack of service and poor communication. Three weeks later, we are still dealing with the Houstonian. When planning my wedding, I made sure to hire established and reputable vendors to avoid having any problems and to have everything go smoothly. My only regret is choosing the Houstonian as my wedding venue and having to deal with enormous lack of service and complete lack of communication.
Two weeks before our wedding we did not have an estimate, no information on product availably and the staff never responded to our e-mails and calls. My fiancé had to go to the Houstonian in person and was told by the manager that she had been very busy and did not have time to work on our wedding event.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LinaHouston
Dear LinaHouston,
I am very sorry for our team member's lack of communication and responsiveness regarding the billing for your wedding. I regret that you didn't bring it to my attention sooner. But since you contacted me I believe all of the issues you raised were resolved by the time your review was posted. It troubles me to know you regret choosing the Houstonian as your wedding venue because immediately after the event, you reported to us that you were very pleased with all aspects of the event. In any case, I've taken all reasonable steps to ensure an experience like yours is not repeated in the future. We take guest feedback very seriously and have acted on the basis of yours. It's unlikely that we can regain your trust but will do our best if given a chance.
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

After hearing rave reviews I opted to stay at the Houstonian. I checked in very late and, after being promised an upgrade, was told that none were available because of several weddings that occurred on property. My room was comfortable but far from up to the hype. The shower needed to be upgraded along with water pressure. That said, staff goes over and above the norm, the grounds are beautiful, and it is by far the best gym I have used in several years. If you stay, check out the Pilates studio and ask to work with Erick.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mitchel L,
Thank you for your review regarding your recent experience at the Houstonian. It appears that your primary disappointment was our inability to extend a complimentary upgrade. I'm sorry that we didn't have availability. I genuinely apologize if we failed to make this possibility clear in our pre-arrival communication. In spite of not quite living up to your expectations, I'm very glad to know you found some things to like about the Houstonian. We try our best to provide exquisite service and I'm glad you found it to be so on your visit. If your travels ever bring you back to Houston again we'd love to welcome you back.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed at the Houstonian for two nights, in a suite which was well appointed but seemed a bit overpriced. The bathroom was very nice and spacious and the rooms and beds comfortable. That being said, the rest of the hotel amenities were lacking compared to other places. There is one restaurant - Olivette - where the food was good at breakfast but average at lunch and dinner. The lobby is large and has a cozy fireplace but no other amenities. A small room with mostly empty shelves, save for a few magazines, had "gift shop" written over the door but there was nobody there ever. There were no books available in a dusty unused room labeled "library" and the staff had no board games or DVDs to offer for our children. We had to pay $18 for them to watch a movie in the room. The club with extensive sports facilities and the spa are separate entities and mostly used by local residents. The spa, consequently, is "committed" far in advance so if you are planning on staying at the Houstonian do call well in advance for their services as they had no openings for several days when we stayed. The club is huge with immense facilities and we did have access to those, but also crowded by the local people. The grounds, which are billed as "natural surroundings" are extensive and have an astroturf walking path which trails around, along and even under (not a pretty sight) the hotel building. It is relatively sylvan but not the "oasis" I expected after seeing the hotel's website. The pools looked nice but it was too cold to go in. I gave the Houstonian only 3 starts because although the rooms were fine, the other on-site amenities and services were not convenient enough, in my opinion.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Jim M, General Manager at The Houstonian, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear bklyntraveler609,
Thank you for your thorough review regarding your recent experience at the Houstonian. Though some aspects of the hotel were not completely to your liking, I am very pleased to know you found the bathrooms spacious and the beds comfortable. I apologize that the amenities and services were not quite as convenient for you. I know travelling with children can create different needs and expectations, and I am genuinely sorry what we offered fell short for you and your family. Trellis is a critically acclaimed spa which lives up to all of its accolades. As a result, we consistently experience a high volume of bookings in advance, both from locals and travelers alike. Similarly, The Houstonian Club is a revered facility for many in the community, which is why you saw so many locals at the Club. We deeply value your input and will use this as an opportunity to improve our service in the future. We would love to welcome you back to the Houstonian if your travels ever bring you Houston again.
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Excellent service with happy smiles from each person on the staff. A complement to the management in that their training of the staff "glows" with the refinement not found in many hotels today. We were acknowledged by most of the staff by our name and were offered very personalized service from each person. Staying in the concierge level, the added experience of having the private "living room" concierge lounge, was a treat. Like previously reported, our sleeping room was of ample size, well decorated and appointed, but the bath was smaller that most baths in hotels today, although adequate for our needs. Beautiful site and grounds. Our reason for staying there was for a wedding with the reception in the grand ballroom. The service and food was very well done in a beautiful venue.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Jim M, General Manager at The Houstonian, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Prof Bob,
Thank you for your kind and honest review regarding your recent experience at the Houstonian. I am delighted to know you consider the staff and the service provided at the Houstonian special. I am very pleased you enjoyed the concierge level and all of its amenities, as well as the site and grounds. I hope you had a wonderful time at the wedding. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Germany
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We heard all the hype about the Houstonian, so my wife and I decided to stay on a recent long-weekend trip to Houston. I'll admit the grounds were lovely. And while our room on the concierge level was nicely appointed, it was small and the bed was not very comfortable. The entire facility is showing its age. The breakfast and evening snacks offered in the concierge room were quite good, and the concierges themselves were very helpful.

But there was a lot of noise (we were woken up at 2 AM by a party outside our room), and we could hear anytime someone passed out in the hallway. Interestingly, when checking out the clerk asked how we enjoyed our stay. I related how we were woken up the night before, and he never missed a beat. His response was: "I'm sorry." "Please sign here.", and "Please come see us again." He barely even looked up at me. I'm not sure why he bothered asking, because it was obvious that he had actual little interest in the quality of our stay.

Room Tip: Either the concierge level, or a different hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Billy P,
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review regarding your recent experience at the Houstonian. I regret that there was a noise issue during your stay; however, I wish you had said something at the time because I’m certain our staff would have done their best to resolve it for you. Further, I apologize that you were not completely satisfied with the service provided at the reception desk upon departure and will be sure to address the value of sincerity and professionalism in our everyday business. On a more positive note, I am very glad to hear you enjoyed the concierge level. We take these reviews seriously and genuinely appreciate your input. We hope to welcome you back to the Houstonian in the future.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Among the best experiences with staff I've had at any hotel. They were a truly professional bunch and deserve to be commended.

The lobby is lovely, particularly with Christmas decorations up. The rooms were a bit on the small side but certainly not cramped, and they were well furnished and overall very comfortable.

We were on Concierge level, which was outstanding due to the included food service. Breakfast was quite nice, and the coffee was really rather good. Afternoon snacks/hors d'oeuvres were less remarkable, but the included wine and drinks were very nice. Desserts were generally very good indeed, and the yet further selection of liquor at that time was a nice touch.

All in all, this was an excellent stay and I would certainly return if back in Houston.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear David K,
Thank you for taking the time to share such positive and detailed thoughts regarding your recent visit to the Houstonian. I am delighted to hear you had such a wonderful experience with the Concierge level accommodations and that you found our staff to be outstanding. Given our pride in providing excellent care for our guests, I will be sure to pass along your comments to our entire team. We genuinely look forward to welcoming you back to the Houstonian soon.