During a recent business trip to Houston (Oct 23-25, 2013) I arrived and attempted to check-in to my room at The Houstonian. I was informed that my reserved room had been given away due to an over-booking situation. Stunned, I asked why I had not been contacted earlier, since I could have made other arrangements. The front desk clerk informed me they would have, but did not have my contact information. I told him this was not correct, which he disputed. Ultimately I had to show him emails I had received from The Houstonian to confirm this was the case.
At any rate, he apologized and directed me several miles away to the Royal Sonesta, informing me that he would comp the first night there. This was much appreciated. However, upon arriving at the Sonesta (after an additional hour! of travel due to an accident) it became clear that the entire hotel was under heavy renovation - making large sections of the property difficult to access / traverse. There was also substantial noise and most of the elevators were not functioning. I would not have ever selected such a property - but regardless, I was stuck there without other clear options and decided to make a go of it.
The next day, the Houstonian staff told me they would be happy to take me back for the second night of my original 2-night stay - and would provide a free room upgrade. This would have been useful knowledge, but (again) by the time they informed me of this it was too late and I was already committed to my second night at the Sonesta. This plus other issues, led the Houstonian Front Desk attendant to give me the business card of the Hotel Director of Guest Services. He asked me to call him to discuss my sub-par experience. I got his voicemail and left a brief message at that number on October 24th, but never heard back.
Finally, upon arriving back in Atlanta I found that I was charged for both nights of my stay at the Royal Sonesta! I have been in contact with the hotel earlier today and am trying to set the accounting straight. Overall my interactions with the Houstonian just piled hassle upon hassle, and left me extremely frustrated.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of Houston’s historic gems, this property is known for its grace, comfort and unparalleled guest experience. Located in the heart of Houston, The Houstonian Hotel, Club & Spa is a Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star, 18-acre retreat that defines authentic Texas luxury. The floor-to-ceiling wooded views envelop guests in a natural environment while offering the modern amenities and luxuries of home. Local areas of interest such as Downtown Houston, Memorial Park and The Galleria are just minutes away, offering guests the opportunity to escape into the city – not from it. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Preferred Hotels, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Houstonian reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Houstonian Hotel Houston
- Houstonian Hotel Houston
- Houstonian Resort Houston