“The hotel gave my reserved room away before I arrived”
Review of The Houstonian

The Houstonian
Ranked #13 of 510 Hotels in Houston
Atlanta, Georgia
“The hotel gave my reserved room away before I arrived”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

During a recent business trip to Houston (Oct 23-25, 2013) I arrived and attempted to check-in to my room at The Houstonian. I was informed that my reserved room had been given away due to an over-booking situation. Stunned, I asked why I had not been contacted earlier, since I could have made other arrangements. The front desk clerk informed me they would have, but did not have my contact information. I told him this was not correct, which he disputed. Ultimately I had to show him emails I had received from The Houstonian to confirm this was the case.

At any rate, he apologized and directed me several miles away to the Royal Sonesta, informing me that he would comp the first night there. This was much appreciated. However, upon arriving at the Sonesta (after an additional hour! of travel due to an accident) it became clear that the entire hotel was under heavy renovation - making large sections of the property difficult to access / traverse. There was also substantial noise and most of the elevators were not functioning. I would not have ever selected such a property - but regardless, I was stuck there without other clear options and decided to make a go of it.

The next day, the Houstonian staff told me they would be happy to take me back for the second night of my original 2-night stay - and would provide a free room upgrade. This would have been useful knowledge, but (again) by the time they informed me of this it was too late and I was already committed to my second night at the Sonesta. This plus other issues, led the Houstonian Front Desk attendant to give me the business card of the Hotel Director of Guest Services. He asked me to call him to discuss my sub-par experience. I got his voicemail and left a brief message at that number on October 24th, but never heard back.

Finally, upon arriving back in Atlanta I found that I was charged for both nights of my stay at the Royal Sonesta! I have been in contact with the hotel earlier today and am trying to set the accounting straight. Overall my interactions with the Houstonian just piled hassle upon hassle, and left me extremely frustrated.

7 Thank Christopher M
Jim M, General Manager at The Houstonian, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Christopher M.,

I understand and accept your frustration as a result of your recent experience at The Houstonian. Further, I respect your right to post feedback as you see fit. However, it is regrettable you reported only your initial complaint, absent any of our subsequent communication.

Unlike many of our competitors, we try very hard to avoid overbooking. As I indicated, the occurrence was due to a mistake by a member of our team for which I am both accountable and apologetic. Unfortunately, you were unhappy with the hotel we secured for your first night’s lodging due to their ongoing renovations. However, this was the closest comparable luxury property we could find, less than 2 miles away. And while we did our best to explain that we would house you the following night, when you arrived the next morning and were told that we had a suite available for immediate occupancy you answered that you had decided to stay at the other hotel. I hope that I clarified that we did in fact pay for your first night’s lodging as promised by emailing the executed folio to you for your records.

Hotels are by their very nature human enterprises and people do occasionally make mistakes. Often when things go wrong folks are inconvenienced and can understandably become angry. And so it was in your case- again, we’re very sorry for your experience. I would love to have you accept my previous invitation to give us another chance; we’ll do our very best to change your perception of us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband who was on a business trip. The hotel has so much to do for someone just hanging out with no agenda. The pools are excellent. The health club (which hotel guests have full access to) is absolutely amazing for anyone who wants to exercise while at this hotel. There are countless group fitness classes and an amazing amount of equipment.
The spa is also amazing! Some of the treatments are a bit pricey, but the access to all the other areas of the spa are worth it.
The actual rooms are nothing special. Very nice and comfortable, but just not as spectacular as the grounds or other amenities.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Geneva, Geneve, Switzerland
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have been to this hotel many times to my visits to Houston, and generally I find the level of hotels here relatively mediocre for a city with that much business and important population.
The Houstonian is not an exception, and I would say it's a hotel with resources and a good situation but rooms and decor is just appalling and in strong need of renovation.
It's a scandal to charge clients this price for the quality of rooms.
The service otherwise is just fine and the breakfast restaurant and bar is quite ok, nothing special.
It suffers from no views, surrounded by trees and plants that increases humidity and it feels!
Access to the sports club with tennis courts and the swimming pools are very good but it's not enough. Parking and access to taxi is easy and quick.

All in all a very mediocre alternative where a lower price would be at it's place or a considerable renovation since nothing has been done for as far as I know for the last ten or fifteen years.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Jim M, General Manager at The Houstonian, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Mikael B.,
Thank you for your repeated business and taking time to share comments about your recent visit. The guest rooms at The Houstonian Hotel were renovated in 2008. Most would consider that a relatively recent timeframe, but nonetheless we are continually updating all areas of the hotel. We understand that our residential-style decor is very different from some of the more trendy eye-popping designs favored by competitive hotels. In contrast, we offer a traditional style which many have come to enjoy and prefer. I sincerely apologize for the room falling short of your standard of quality, as we are very conscientious about the appearance and cleanliness of our property. Many guests value the sense of seclusion and privacy from the trees like the ones you mentioned outside your window—for most it’s a nice change to see lush greenery rather than the cityscape. I’m glad you also took time to mention things about The Houstonian with which you were pleased. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Houstonian soon.
Calgary
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed for a couple nights in October 2013 for a mid-week conference. This is a tremendous venue with conference rooms situated throughout supported by fine dining/meals. Many extracurricular activities to take in without ever leaving the grounds. Many pools, fitness, spa and cushioned jogging track are just some of the amenities. Only issue was just figuring out which conference room we were in and how to get there..... but at every turn is a hotel employee greeting you and asking to provide assistance. Great conference and great stay.

Texas
Reviewed October 27, 2013

You would never know you were minutes away from the Galleria or downtown Houston. The Houstonian is set amongst large trees, very quiet, with exceptional service. It is like a large, very fancy hunting lodge. I especially enjoy the concierge level with the breakfast croissants, the hot hors d'oeuvres with drinks before dinner and the late night desserts. This is my favorite hotel in Houston. I have never been disappointed and have stayed here many times.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This hotel has a lovely parkland/bayou setting outside. Enjoyed the 1 mile walking trail through the woods and the (outdoor in October!) swimming pool. Blessed with lovely warm (70s) weather and blue sunny skies. Inside it is like a baronial Scottish castle - maybe a bit pastiche but fun nevertheless. Service, rooms and restaurants all excellent. Food has more healthy options than last time I was in Texas - fresh fruit for breakfast. Attended a very well managed conference and found it mentally and physically refreshing. Would come here again, but for the 10 hour plane ride and 6 hour time difference!

1 Thank Steve M
Austin, TX
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Our third stay in this hotel and we enjoyed it immensely. Checked in at around noon and our room was ready. Room was on 1st floor and facing the woods in the back of the building. Room was not huge, but large enough for two adults and two kids and beds and furnishings were very comfortable. Bath rooms are definitely small, so sitting on the toilet with the door open required sitting at an angle. While small, the bathroom is clean and nice, so no issues from my perspective other than the size.

Breakfast at Olivette is a real treat in the morning and something that I highly recommend even if it is more expensive than eating off property. Unfortunately, it rained while we were there, so we did not get the chance to hike the trails or use the pools, but they did look like something we would love to try out.

Staff at reception, parking, valet and restaurant is uniformly courteous and friendly and I can't say enough good things about the valets who ran after us with umbrellas after we started walking on the trail for a minute or two before it began raining.

As far as location, the Houstonian is located ideally near the Galleria, the Museum District, the Zoo and Memorial Park, as well as tons of nice restaurants.

This is definitely the hotel I would choose in Houston when I return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family